Intel's rebrand to Core i3, i5, i7. Arrandale indirectly confirmed for 2010?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BlizzardBomb, Jun 17, 2009.

1. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Intel spells out its new branding scheme. The interesting bit is actually this:

So one would assume if Arrandale is only going to be Core i3 at first, then 2010 would be the earliest we could see it. Thoughts?

2. nahsor macrumors member

Most likely but then will there be only one upgrade with the i5 and i7 before the switch to Sany Bridge? Or might Apple just skip this altogether?

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Skip what? They can't skip Clarskfield AND Arrandale. They'd be over a year behind everyone else.

4. nahsor macrumors member

So we are only going to see Arrandale for a year? Or do you think Sandy Bridge will get pushed back?

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I don't think they'll use Clarksfield in the laptops, but rather Arrandale.

So a new laptop update in Nov/Dec/Jan/Feb.

And then they'll be with Arrandale until Sandy Bridge's mobile chips come out in 2011 or late 2010.

6. nahsor macrumors member

Updating to Arrandale almost seems pointless. I think I'll take advantage of the low prices now and then update to Rev B or C Sandy Bridge.

7. BlizzardBomb thread starter macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

There will be a fair gain to make by waiting for Arrandale, but 2010 is a long way away so for many I think the current batch of Core 2 Duos will suffice. I think a Q1 2010 update is now most likely for the MacBook family.

8. iMacmatician macrumors 601

Arrandale has been expected for late 2009 / early 2010, this gives confirmation on early 2010.

9. Shiner macrumors 6502

Yes there will much to gain from Arrandale but knowing apple they will place those processors in late 2010. I would buy a laptop now if you need one. There will be no significant update for almost a year from now. I feel like when I owned a powerbook G4 waiting for the next best thing for 3 years!!! LOL.

10. nahsor macrumors member

Well the article clearly states that Arrandale will be released early next year so I don't think apple would wait till the end of next year to start using them. Plus with Sandy Bridge, it would be useless to have only one update with Arrandale. Tallest Skil, had a good point with the fact that they are not likely to skip both Clarksfield and Arrandale. It'll be interesting to see what happens in the next 6 months.