Intense Brightness Glitch?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by xposanx, Sep 23, 2012.

1. xposanx macrumors newbie

Often times when I unlock my iPhone 5, the brightness of the screen goes to the highest level, even though I had it at half max brightness. What is the problem here, is it software or hardware? And does it have something to do with the Auto-Brightness feature in the settings?

2. junglesnake macrumors 6502

junglesnake

Mine is doing the exact opposite. It goes very dim then comes back! It's driving me nuts!

3. gpezzino macrumors member

Same here...

I just noticed the same thing today. Twice. I unlocked the screen and the brightness was all the way up. I put it back about mid-level. About ten minutes later, same thing happened.

4. mateo124 macrumors regular

They seem to have tweaked the auto-brightness feature some. Before you would set the brightness you wanted it to adjust to, or around. Now it automatically seems to move the slider based on the ambient brightness. I wouldn't worry too much, it never seems to work accurately for me either

5. negrohero9 macrumors regular

negrohero9

Brightness Decrease

I turned off auto-brightness on my iphone 5 because i have never liked it. But now if i accidentally hit the power button twice it turns down my brightness... but when i go to check it still has it right in the same place but as soon as i touch the dot the brightness i want returns. Could this be a glitch?

6. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

this might have happened to me today,instead of having a higher brightness issue mine did get dull all by itself ,just figured it was a bug hash't happened since and yes even when dull the brightness still shows the same in the settings which was high

7. StevenB14 macrumors regular

StevenB14

I just had the same thing happen and couldn't figure out what I did. Came onto MacRumors and seen this thread. Glad I am not the only one.

Would appear to just be a glitch and one that most people probably wont come across. A quick lock and unlock fixes it.

I imagine Apple will fix this along with other glitches when they next release an update.

8. Nikhil72 macrumors 6502a

I posted this in another post, but I'll post again:

So I initially thought there was a problem with auto brightness until I read this thread earlier this morning:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/apple/commen...ghtness_works/

I tested it out, and sure enough, once I manually "calibrate" the auto-brightness dependent on my ambient light and then change a lighting scenario, the auto brightness kicks in. If I go back to the original location where I had manually set the brightness (i.e. if i went back into a dark room), the slider shifts right to where I manually had calibrated it to go. It seems to work very, very well, and this is definitely new behavior for iOS 6. Normally if I go out into direct sunlight, brightness moves up to 100%; I'm comfortable with 75%, so I forced it to 75%, and later when I went back into direct sunlight, sure enough it went back to 75% rather than 100%.

9. fronzman macrumors newbie

Yes I have brightness related glitches. Auto brightness is off. But a couple times it randomly got stuck in dim mode and when I go to brightness and touch the slider (which is located in the proper location) it jumps back to proper brightness. No idea what triggers this though. Double clicking power doesn't do it for me...this is a 4s