Interested in the 17” MBP for programming. How crazy am I?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by roonilwazlib, Nov 5, 2017.

1. roonilwazlib macrumors newbie

roonilwazlib

I really want a 17” MBP to use as I learn programming because I don’t see well but it looks like the last model of that size came out in 2011 and had issues.

Is it still possible to use the 2011 17” MBP for programming in 2017? I’d use it for C# and .NET and would update the ram to 16gb. I’d only want it to last the year or so I’m in school since I can upgrade after that to a desktop with a big monitor.

Or is it better to just find a decent 17” windows laptop?

2. Mac-lover3 macrumors 6502a

Mac-lover3

What about buying a 13" or 15" and buying a nice big ass monitor for it. Gaining the advantage of having portability with good battery life and having a big monitor when it's needed.

3. Trusteft macrumors 6502a

Trusteft

As the other member said, why don't you get something more updated and just get a large external monitor for it? I have 40 inch monitors I use and I just wouldn't go back.

4. ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs

I would do either a 17-inch Windows laptop or a newer 15-inch MacBook Pro. The 15/17-inch 2011s are ticking time bombs, and, consequently, have a very high cost of ownership (i.e., replacement logic boards - all of which have the same design flaw.)

5. mw360 macrumors 68000

mw360

I'm pretty sure your eyes would prefer a newer 15" than an old 17". The screen may be smaller but everything on it is a little bigger and sharper, and you can resize it without horrible blur/pixellation.

6. devon807 macrumors 6502

devon807

If you really want it, you can disable the bad GPU with a terminal command, and just use the Intel integrated graphics

7. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

Don't waste your money on a 2011 MacBook, either 17" or 15".
    The motherboards are prone to fail, and almost certainly will fail on you.

Get something newer.
    I'd suggest a 2015-design MacBook Pro, either 13" or 15".

Apple still sells the 15" "as a new production model". Go to the 15" MacBook Pro "buy" page at store.apple.com and scroll down to see it.

For the 13", you have to buy "Apple Factory Refurbished" (still has full 1-year warranty).

8. ThunderSkunk macrumors 68030

ThunderSkunk

A 2009 17" is the hot ticket. Avoid the big quad core models though. Bad heat transfer probs.
    A 17" with hi-res matte display is the most comfortable thing to look at apple has made on a portable. It's big enough you can sit back in your chair, and not find yourself leaning in to see it. Also, you can pop the disc drive out and throw a second hard drive in, for a fast SSD + high capacity HD combo, making it a true portable desktop.

But, they are big, and heavy. And you can get Sierra on one, which runs great, but it takes a little extra tinkering to get it on there, since apple likes to prohibit older models from use, forcing them in the general direction toward the landfill every way they can.

9. shaunp macrumors 68000

Just get a modern 15" laptop and connect a monitor unless you are constantly on the move in which case look for a newer 17" laptop - Dell 7720 and Lenovo P71 are good places to start.