Interesting article in the times:

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by SLC Flyfishing, Nov 16, 2016.

1. SLC Flyfishing, Nov 16, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2016

SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/05/08/opinion/sunday/a-confession-of-liberal-intolerance.html?_r=0&referer=http://l.facebook.com/?u=http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/08/opinion/sunday/a-confession-of-liberal-intolerance.html&e=ATNwiqSa31OGAlsABIwxEiL5J9OeTsC4kZFcPkQ4cFe2upK3w-4s6ATODjCqON-neQcMtwg7wIObjJEOKObwmgjFp1d_r_5bXZpqzsbVby8gcTmq4b3B

Definitely thought provoking. Good to see some liberals putting themselves under the microscope.

Sadly, the comments leave much to be desired. Same smug, elitist attitude that (I believe) cost the democrats the election.

I can see plenty of intrinsic value in what the left espouses; but the people who push this arrogance and utter contempt for those who have different ideas makes most of it a non-starter for me when it comes to the ballot box.

2. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

I agree that if the perception is elitist, that's a failure and disconnect from rank and file Democrats, who may have fled to Trump. The problem is that the sheep looking to the wolf for their well being (if not Trump, the GOP), has a low probability for a happy ending for anyone but the wolf who gets a full belly.

3. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Democrats have ripped off their base for decades As Trump told black Americans, what have they got to lose by taking a chance on him? Can't be worse that their current situation after voting Democrat for generations. Same applies to woking class blue collar Dems.

4. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I definitely agree with you on that, but smugness is a two way street, not a one way road. Republicans have a way of overreaching and getting ahead of their skis on things. Paul Ryan is already talking about a "mandate" even though the majority of Americans voted for someone else. I remember his predecessor often telling us what "Americans want" as if he spoke for all Americans and as if he spoke for me. I can even see some of that smugness on exhibit from some right wingers here in these forums. File under what goes around comes around. Today it is Democrats with egg on their face, another day it will be Republicans. And so the pendulum goes.

5. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Do you honestly think the same couldn't be said for the other side?

Like Republicans haven't spent the last 8 years complaining and jumping to paranoid conclusions (IE THEY'RE GOING TO TAKE ALL MY GUNS!!).

Pot. Kettle.

And if you don't think so, you're either a hypocrite or in denial.

6. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

I just wish users of a tech forum could learn how to insert a hyperlink that isn't a total mess.

7. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

First of all, we're all trolls here in PRSI.
    Then, and only then, we're users of a tech forum.
    ;)

8. samcraig macrumors P6

Well based on Trump's tax plan. If they are single parents with children, they could be out ~2400 more a year.

9. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Looks like he posted it from a mobile, it happens.

10. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

The liberals have been elitist for quite some time now and it pisses me off. We're supposed to be the party of the worker, the union, the normal people that will be undistinguished and never rich yet our last candidate earned 200,000 an hour. We are or specifically the DNC have lost or willfully cut ties with what they've supposed to represent they're rich fat Hippocrates and I hope they all loose they're jobs maybe a few years of unemployment will humble them.

11. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Quoted for truth...

Because, holy crap, with all of this attacking of liberals, nobody seems to want to talk about the appointment of some really shady people and this tax plan which will screw over the middle class.

12. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

To me the author tried to say the Liberals are trying to silence anyone that doesn't agree with their views! College it is even worse and hear often from my old school (RIT) that say most students and school won't allow the Young Republicans even a student recognized organization status on campus even though it is all students! The is why if I had children they would go to private school that doesn't play these games.

In my day in school all opinions are heard unless it was overtly racist! Heck even in my college radio station we had two different gay DJs and cross dresser and we all together and the only problem was the cross dresser whom seem to have a problem with everyone and the two gays guy said he was really mean to everyone. One of the gay guys even took pleasure in asking him/her out because he/her was just a really bad DJ (boring voice and conversion on air)! This was back in the day (early 90s) when we had a 17% city station survey putting us ahead of some commerical stations. Those were days!

13. v0lume4 macrumors 68000

v0lume4

I remember Trump saying at one point to the black community (and he's right), "The Democrats come in during election season and promise you all this change. And then when they win, they say, 'Alright, thanks! See you again in four years!'"

14. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

To be fair, this is completely anecdotal, and if you don't think this cuts both ways you aren't really paying attention.

I went to a catholic university, and my experience (in the mid 90's) was the opposite. Especially for those of us who live lifestyles "alternate" to Catholic standards. I was on the softball team, and I was told more than once not to be out and open with my sexuality. That was sh** that people could get away with. Not so much anymore.

And if you think that Liberals have a monopoly on this, I have 2 words for you: The Dixie Chicks.

15. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

But Republicans haven't come at all.

Granted, Trump did appear at two little black church appearances that he took over a year to finally visit, but if you think that weak effort is adequate GOP outreach you're mistaken.

16. v0lume4 macrumors 68000

v0lume4

But you get the point that I'm making.

@MadeTheSwitch, for as long as I can remember you've disagreed with every post I've written. Before the election, I believe that I honestly could have said I was literally voting for Hillary Clinton (YOUR candidate, right?) and you would have disagreed with me. Why are you so bent on disagreeing with anyone that gives off even a whiff of being moderate or conservative? For the record I was defending anyone in my post that you quoted. Rather, just calling it the way that it is.

17. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

It's not all about you sweetheart. Just giving my opinion on the matter same as you. Calling it the way I see it. But if you think I'm wrong, then by all means, point out all the Republican outreach over the years. Show me how Republicans have spent a lot of time campaigning in Africican American neighborhoods. Show me how they talk about their issues rather then deflecting onto me.

18. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

Just like they did during hurricane Katrina. Going house to house disarming people. You can look it up.

19. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

I don't really see this. The battle was lost, but not the war. The mission remains. I'll acknowledge the GOP has done an excellent job stymieing the Liberal Agenda, and some of the Democrats have moved right, but not as far right as the GOP, not even close. It remains to be seen which party best caters to the blue collar renegades. The Dems learned a lesson this time around but I believe they are better positioned to get back on track. The GOP wants no part of that track so they are at a distinct disadvantage.