Interesting bit of info from my Mac dealer.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Aquanaut, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Aquanaut macrumors member

I spoke with my Mac dealer about configuring another Mac pro this afternoon and they mentioned that the sales staff had just been advised that the Pro is becoming unavailable and that they were expecting an 'announcement' within a couple of weeks about a new model.

This isn't anything official with a firm timeframe but they are the UK's biggest Apple reseller and they usually deny any knowledge of anything new coming. It could be nothing but just three weeks ago they had resigned themselves to no new Mac Pros until September but things seem to be changing (I always speak with the same sales and support guys who are fairly consistent).

They have started reducing prices on the few preconfigured Mac Pros they have left.

2. Vylen macrumors 65816

That actually seems promising...

I think people should go bouncing around different resellers/dealers and see if they can get information like that from them ;)

3. Deepshade macrumors regular

I noticed Jigsaw offering savings - same supplier?

4. Aquanaut thread starter macrumors member

It is. :)

5. Deepshade macrumors regular

They always seem to have 118 MPs in stock (add the totals for each model).
    Will be interesting to see if that number falls soon

6. mism macrumors member

Typical, on the day I finally cave in and order a Mac Pro. Am I right in thinking that I get 7 days once my Mac's delivered to return it, due to UK distance selling laws?

7. Aquanaut thread starter macrumors member

I wouldn't take this as any guarantee that a new Mac Pro will be here is two weeks, it's just an observation. Even if they did announce something it may not be immediately available.

8. Deepshade macrumors regular

quote from Apple UK website

Returns are subject to Apple's Sales and Refunds Policy. If you change your mind, you can return your Standard or Configured-to-Order hardware to us within 14 calendar days of delivery. Software returns are also accepted within this period, but only if the software package is unopened.

http://store.apple.com/uk/help/returns_refund

9. Deepshade macrumors regular

Interestingly its the Quad they've put the savings on. And its the Quad (BTO) that's been on 8 days in the UK store for a week.

Sort of feels like we could get a replacement for them with the dual quads holding firm.

10. mism macrumors member

Thanks for the info guys.

This was always going to happen, there will be a new Mac Pro sooner or later and I know I'll have to live with my decision. Just ironic that something tangible seemed to happen on the same day.

Anyway, back to browsing what drives to buy for it.

11. Aquanaut thread starter macrumors member

It's still going to be a great machine. :)

12. mism macrumors member

I'm starting to feel all warm and fuzzy now :)

13. archipellago macrumors 65816

yep...statutory right.

14. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

Thanks for buying your system. Bad karma for you but great for all of us :D

You'll be very happy with your Mac Pro for a long time. Who knows? Maybe you got one of the last 'good ones.'

15. mism macrumors member

Just spoke to Apple to clarify a few details. You get 14 days from delivery (as stated by Deepshade), which for me is due this time next week. During the 14 days you can use it, even install a second hard drive, and still return it.
    So I get three weeks to worry about having made the right decision!

16. reel2reel macrumors 6502a

reel2reel

I wouldn't sweat it. Don't discount the fact that the new models will be revision A, which means the first buyers are the bug testers.

17. mism macrumors member

That had occurred to me, imagine sending mine back only to find the new model is plagued with problems.

(don't mean to have hijacked the thread, sorry)

18. deconstruct60 macrumors 604

In a week or two, September will be roughly a "couple weeks away". Even if they still expected September and since the Mac Pro is very likely a relatively slow moving item, this isn't the time to be running high on inventory.

More folks are also going to start playing the waiting game as date creeps closer to being 1.5 years since update. Sure some of the folks who have been playing since Jan/Feb are going to go because they have to, but will be replaced by new folks with April,May,June,July anniversary dates. The Mac Pro isn't immune to these effects, just not a super sensitive as many folks want to make it out to be.

It is the game of "chicken" that some folks have to grumbling about because it wasn't being played; can enough users hold out on buying to force the prices to go lower. Smaller retailers and Apple still want jump into the game for a while. Small ones because probably only have a small number of Mac Pros on inventory (if any) and Apple because they know all the dates in advance (they can just make fewer up to a certain limit). So I wouldn't expect prices changes to spread to all retailers.

19. Roman23 macrumors 6502

I wouldn't trust this either..

Unless he has proof of it.. otherwise, its open air with nothing to stand on.

20. Roman23 macrumors 6502

Don;t believe it

Unless that seller or retailer has ABSOLUTE PROOF that this is going to happen, then its just open air and word of mouth... no proof, no validity to the statement or thought - JUST A RUMOR.

21. Aquanaut thread starter macrumors member

So what? Have you noticed the name of this website?

Or are you just in a bad mood?

22. Roman23 macrumors 6502

No, I am in a great mood..

Just that I'd prefer to see validity to this and proof showing that that is the exact time frame of when it will finally come out.. thats all.

23. reel2reel macrumors 6502a

reel2reel

lol, the crowd's getting rowdy! Give us new Mac Pro's already, Apple!! Can't you see what you're doing to us?!?!