Interesting changes on Apple.com

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by timjub, Mar 16, 2013.

1. timjub macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

Could Apple be worried of the effect of the Galaxy S4 on iPhone sales. Please keep reading, I promise this won't be an "Apple is doomed" thread! :D

The thing is, I went to Apple.com and was surprised to see a whole new image on the front page:
    [​IMG]

New images on the Apple homepage are nothing to get too excited about. But then I browsed the iPhone section and noticed they had changed a few images, but, more importantly, had added a "Why iPhone" page. The title : "There's iPhone. Then there's everything else.". The page goes on listing many advantages of the iPhone.

Do you think that this is another sign that Apple is getting worried of Samsung's effect on their sales?

2. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

I don't pay attention to these adds or the in fighting with manufactures smartphones or even about who is worried or who is best, and for that matter, I have absolutely no clue if Apple is changing their adds because they are worried. They sell millions each, and every release. ;)

This is Interesting OP. Just noticed that you signed up to MacRumor one year ago this month, and this is your very first post. Interesting. :confused: Went on a long vacation ? :D

3. Dulcimer macrumors 6502a

Dulcimer

They probably did it for that reason, yes. I don't think, however, that they are any more "scared" of Samsung now than any other time.

4. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Good competition is always healthy for any product or service.
    Apple has to keep up delivering new features and functions, via software they can accomplish many things it is just a matter of wanting to.
    I do look forward to see if there is something else coming out this year.

5. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

It is kind of odd... They usually only change the front page when new products are announced or a significant event has happened.

I honestly don't want to look at that for very long, I hope they have something new to announce soon.

6. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Anyone know what app is that on the second one behind Catch?

7. irDigital0l Guest

"In fact, once you see a Retina display, you’re never satisfied with anything less."

LOL

(iPad Mini)

8. timjub thread starter macrumors newbie

Was mostly reading... But never thought I had anything interesting enough to say. That changes now! ;)

And I agree that Apple needs to start pushing even harder on software updates! I can't wait to see what they'll come up with.

9. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

Coca Cola is number one but they still do advertising all the time. It is normal.
    Apple has to tell its story. There are many people who don't exactly know what makes an iPhone so great. Apple must show them...

10. LightOnAHill macrumors regular

Every company is always worried about the competition. That's the very nature of competition.

Is apple worried such that they think they'd go out of business? No. Are they losing market share? Yes. Did they expect some loss in market share? Yes.

It's good for them and us, forces them to be aggressive in competing.

The better the competition to apple, the better apple will make their products.

Simple business principles :cool:

11. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

Not sure where you're getting your information. Possibly making it up? Apple is definitely NOT losing market share...quarter after quarter it's actually gaining M/S. It is selling more phones that the previous iteration with each new release. As well, they're making the lion's share of the profits as Google isn't licensing Android for a specific dollar amount to other OEMs. Google is starting to get a bit concerned with Samsung's dominance.

I do agree competition is a good thing. But they certainly aren't regressing. Keep in mind, we are a 'geek' board/society here at MR. Just because some folk here are considering the switch to Android from iOS does not mean the 'real world' is arriving at the same conclusion.

8 years ago, Palm owned the smart phone market (35-40%) with Blackberry not far behind. Android and iOS didn't exist. Today, Palm is no more. Today, Blackberry is throwing a Hail Mary with BB10. I'm sure the big dogs (Samsung, Apple, HTC, Sony, et al) are aware of historical figures. Innovation will continue...but who knows where we will be in 2020? Samsung could have their own OS. To me, this would destroy the whole 'market share' idea of Android's dominance.

J

12. sauder macrumors member

I like how they're advertising the white one now, the iPhone 5 had a lackluster marketing strategy.

I hope Samsung whips them into shape.

13. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

I also received an iPhone 5 email from Apple, even I do have two already. They are pushing.

14. batting1000 macrumors 604

Looks to be Tumblr.

15. jenni122701 macrumors regular

jenni122701

Yesterday on the news here they had the Galaxy S4 as major competition to the iPhone. It is an awesome looking phone, though I've no plans anytime to switch from my iPhone. I hope Apple just keeps improving things as they always have. They are always going on about one vs the other. I don't know. I have my 4S and I plan to have it for quite a while too.

16. sauder macrumors member

The site change fails. They're using the old, "Studies have shown".

17. CalmEnvy macrumors 6502a

It's not up on all the Apple pages though. In Canada it still has the new iMac on the front page and when I went to the iPhone section there is nothing added to it. Seems it's just in the States for now.

18. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Agreed. The iPhone 5 hardware is fantastic and perfect as far as I'm concerned (great fit and finish, long lasting battery, screaming fast LTE, no lag whatsoever) but iOS, especially the Springboard, is NOT. It needs a major overhaul. There is simply no reason, security or otherwise, I shouldn't be able to chose my default apps, be able to fill a folder with more apps than can be shown on screen, or have actionable notifications.

19. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

They used to call this "Kremlinology" - interpreting the broader actions of a secretive organization by examining the minutiae.

Is it a surprise that there's another tweak added to the marketing message? It shouldn't be. It's more worrisome when it doesn't change at all. One way or the other, relatively subtle changes of this sort don't happen overnight. Like Apple's products, they're carefully designed. Anyone whose strategy is "react to the competition" doesn't last very long (would anyone care about the new Galaxy if all Samsung did was match the iPhone 5 feature for feature?)

I could think of several reasons, we simply wouldn't agree on whether those reasons are valid.

But I'll pick on the easiest one anyway. Why can't a folder hold more apps than are shown on screen? Your Great Aunt Sally; who's going to drag one too many apps into that folder (maybe accidentally), and will have lost a key visual cue to finding it. Yeah, Search iPhone would work great, if she knows to use it, and she can open it from App Store > Purchased > All. But first, she's going to depend on the GUI. She's likely to spend long minutes searching for an icon before she bails and types something into Search, makes her way to the App Store, or calls for help. I'm sure you're craving another reason to hear from her.

"But dear, I can see blackjack, tic tac toe, hangman, solitaire... oh, all my other games, but I don't see Tetris. I went to the App Store, found it in Purchased, tapped the Open button, and it opened. But where is it?"

"Aunt Sally, I helped you with this last month. Don't you remember that you put it in the Games folder?"

"But why can't I see its icon?"

"You can now put more than nine apps into a folder. Not all the apps show up in the folder icon anymore."

"Now, that's dumb! How can people find their stuff? But I opened the folder anyway - those tiny icons can be so hard to see - and I didn't see it then, either."

"Aunt Sally, it's like the Home Screen now, you may have to swipe left or right to find everything that's in the folder..."

Wouldn't you rather spend the time boasting about your latest triumphs?

In an environment like iOS, with hundreds of millions of users who just may not be sophisticated computing device users, the needs (and behavior) of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.

20. matttye macrumors 601

"The Retina display on iPhone ushered in the era of super-high-resolution displays. Its pixel density is so high, your eye can’t distinguish individual pixels. The images and words are amazingly vivid and crisp. Everything just looks so real. In fact, once you see a Retina display, you’re never satisfied with anything less. Yet it remains a feature found only on iPhone and other Apple products."

Careful wording there Apple ;)

Yes the iPhone is the only device with a Retina Display - other displays have much higher PPI meaning you can hold it closer and still not distinguish pixels!

21. seasurfer macrumors 6502a

I saw this line too.

It is sad to see that Apple uses such a dirty advertising tactic, this is just not going to work for people who knows it. It is self deceiving. I would rather Apple just come out with something really good rather than playing words.

22. Cody21 macrumors 6502a

Cody21

I don't believe they're any more scared now then they were before. I hardly pay attention to their ads anyways though. Although, theres nothing wrong with some competition. It will drive Apple to push out better products to up the competition. And I have no doubt that Apple would have a problem doing that at all, if they wanted to.

23. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

I actually have no problem with my ipad mini.

24. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Apple is most definitely aware that the competition is gaining headway. Whether this is evidence of APPLE's fear is another question. They update ads and such frequently. I wouldn't say this is specifically indicative of anything.

----------

Apple has been known for much dirtier marketing. This is nothing.

25. AQUADock macrumors 65816

AQUADock

Its Tumblr.