Interesting color tag behavior, color labels functionality hidden in the finder.

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by R3k, Mar 28, 2015.

1. R3k macrumors 6502a

In Yosemite, If I open Finder Preferences, and under the general tab select <New Finder Windows Show> and then select <Other>, then while browsing the hard drive all color tags are now displayed as full width color bars like how it used to be before Mavericks.

My question If its that easy for one section of the finder to be overlooked or ignored by the devs so that it still has the old color tagging behavior, how easy would it be for us to enable it for the rest of the finder windows?

Would there be a terminal command that could easily do this?

I don't want to rely on an intrusive multi featured program such as Total Finder just to change that one behavior.

Thanks!

2. KoolAid-Drink macrumors 65816

I tried doing what you explained here, but tags still show up as a circle next to the filename. Anyone else can confirm if this "hidden functionality" works?

Also, are you running 10.10.0/1? If so, this may have been corrected by 10.10.2 (which is what I'm running).

3. R3k thread starter macrumors 6502a

Im actually running the 10.10.3 beta, sorry I should have been more specific.

4. R3k thread starter macrumors 6502a

Here is a screenshot

Attached Files:

5. dianeoforegon macrumors 6502a

dianeoforegon

I can confirm that I see the old behavior when browsing "other" for “New Finder windows show ”.

6. KoolAid-Drink macrumors 65816

On the 10.10.3 beta, or an older version of Yosemite?

7. Mandolynda macrumors newbie

I see them

I'm using 10.10.2 and when I follow the OP's instructions, I too see the old style labels as in the screen shot. Gawd, I miss those labels... :(

8. R3k thread starter macrumors 6502a

Me too, which is why I got exited.

My productivity went ever so slightly down after they removed them.

9. Mandolynda macrumors newbie

Absolutely. Mine too. I have like 30,000 (and growing) art files that I had used labels to let me spot what I was looking for quickly -- and now those labels are practically useless.

I read somewhere else on this forum that if one were sufficiently hip and open-minded they could set up a new organizational structure using smart folders or something and not rely on the old "system 7" technology. I would like to invite that poster to come and organize all my 30k+ files to the new hip and open-minded way. I, personally, have WORK to do and can't take that kind of time. ARGH!

10. chinchillas macrumors newbie

chinchillas

*Bump just to add how awful this is. I really need my fully colored labels :mad:
    The color dots are dumb and I barely notice them.

11. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

12. R3k thread starter macrumors 6502a

And also crashes the Finder occasionally.

13. Mandolynda macrumors newbie

Not anymore. :( Anyone have a solution that works with 10.11.1?

14. AndyMac68 macrumors newbie

The only thing that I have found to work so far in El Capitan is Path Finder - that brings back coloured labels and there is no need to modify or disable any functionality of the OS - it took me a day or so to get used to the Path Finder App but now its second nature and possibly even better than Apples own finder!