Interesting experience at the Apple Store regarding warranty and jailbreak

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by LoneWolf121188, Jul 12, 2011.

1. LoneWolf121188 macrumors 6502a

I dropped my phone a while back and the back got a small crack in it. Luckily I have accidental damage coverage, so I went into the store today and asked them for a repair quote for me to submit to my insurance company. However, I totally forgot to restore (unjailbreak) my phone before going in, so I got kinda nervous at that point. When I went up to the tech, I brought it to the serial number page myself so she wouldn't see that I had lockinfo, bitesms, etc installed.

The first cool part of the story is this: she looked at it, said "oh, all you need is a new back plate?" *looks up serial number* "Your warranty expired 20 days ago, but don't worry about it." She then printed out a repair authorization form that said "Back plate. Unit Cost: $29.95. Total Cost: $0.00." and told me to initial and sign it. :D I wasn't about to argue the fact that dropping your phone isn't covered under warranty. She took it to the back and popped a new back plate on in less than 5 minutes. :)

The interesting part is this: while she was in the back, I spoke to another tech and asked him point blank, "what is Apple's stance on jailbroken phones and warranty?" He replied that if it's clearly a hardware problem that isn't affected by the jailbreak, it's still covered. They'll first do a restore (presumably to the latest firmware...take note for all those who have an unlock on an older firmware!), then see if they can still replicate the problem. He also said that they run an "AB test", which seemed to be some sort of software diagnostic...he didn't explain further. Something like a broken home button will obviously manifest itself whether or not it's jailbroken, so that will be covered under warranty. Something like decreased battery life, however, could be a software problem that comes as a result of jailbreaking, and therefore it's not conclusively covered under warranty. (Both of those examples were his) I then asked him if the serial number of the phone gets flagged as being jailbroken in Apple's system, and he replied that it does, but again, that doesn't on its on void your warranty entirely. He then asked me why I jailbreak my phone, and I told him it was for the increased functionality. He agreed that it's nice, but that Apple usually ends up implementing a lot of things (like notifications) in official iOS releases anyway, so he'd rather just wait for that. He specifically said the words "I haven't jailbroken yet," implying that, as an Apple tech, he could jailbreak his phone...

Finally, the tech came back with my phone and turned it on. "Uh oh," I thought, "now she's going to see Lockinfo and my SN is going to be flagged". Sure enough, Lockinfo popped up, and instead of her giving me a weird look, she just smiled and said, "oh, you have this too? I love Lockinfo, I use it all the time." My eyes did this: :eek: I said, "wait, you have your Apple-issued iPhone jailbroken???", and she replied, "yeah, I love it. We're not supposed to, but c'mon, look at how great this is!" We then talked for a few minutes about all the great things you can do with a jailbroken phone, like the infoshade in lockinfo and bitesms quickreply and all that. That's one conversation I thought I'd NEVER have with an Apple tech! :D

2. dave420 macrumors 65816

I remember back in 2007 when I first got my iPhone I went to the Apple store to get a case and screen protector. The guy working there showed me his phone to demonstrate what the protector looked like. I was so surprised at all the extra apps he had, as this was before the app store even existed. It kind of encouraged me to jailbreak my phone.
    Of course that was a long time ago, and Apple might not have been as against jailbreaking as they are now.

3. dudeabiding macrumors 6502

dudeabiding

I've had techs ask how I got my phone to look the way it did. I've had techs ask where to go to get mods. I've had techs see that I had previously jailbroken my phone (I restored, but some things remain, apparently) and they just fixed the problem. For the most part, the techs don't care. And many of them are phone dweebs (term used lovingly) like we are, so of course they JB. I've never had a "situation" at an Apple store because of jailbreaking my phone. I bought my (adult) older boy an iPad, which stopped connecting to his computer (port, I think). He took his pwnage'd iPad in, all he could do was shift "suspect" icons to the last page but he couldn't do a restore or change what would show in Settings, and they just checked it with a cable, said, yep, port, and replaced the iPad.

4. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

While thats all good, I'm still gonna restore my phone to an unjailbroken state before I take it to be repaired for the home button. Need to remember to turn off things like hidden carrier as they get carried over too.

As mines for the button I'm also worried about them saying its software related somehow.

When its done I'll ask them though, warranty runs out next week.

5. milamber macrumors regular

6. labman macrumors 604

labman

Walked in Apple a long time ago when I was a newbie with a jailbroken phone. Genus quickly spotted it I think I had a Nightmare before Christmas theme going. So it was easy to spot. The Genus told me to take it home do a full restore and make another appointment. I came back the next day all was fine. And I agree ask out the lockinfo girl! :D As her if she like to discuss themes over dinner! :p

7. brayhite macrumors 6502a

So the only way to ensure nothing gets carried over is..? Restore as new iPhone?

8. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

correct restoring as new is the way to prevent anything from getting carried over

9. LoneWolf121188 thread starter macrumors 6502a

^^ Will that overwrite things on the status bar too? I remember things like having you signal strength in dB often gets carried over, even for a restore...

Haha, I totally would have except she was like 40. :(

10. Vbp6us macrumors newbie

LOL that sucks man. Was she good looking at all or just an old hag? :D

11. dudeabiding macrumors 6502

dudeabiding

Some things stick until a 2nd restore. Carrier, especially, seems to carry over. But I restored mine twice and when the tech plugged it into his computer, he shot me a look that I took to mean that he saw something in there. Replaced the phone, anyway (week-old 3GS that suddenly lost signal intermittently- had it tethered at that point as there was no untethered JB, he gave me a refurb which pissed me off until I got it home and discovered it had an older baseband that let me do an untethered JB). Usually when I go in, I just show them what I've done. Never had a negative reaction.

12. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

good question, the status bar and carrier name changes do seem to stick if you restore from backup, i restored as a new device the other day and used pkgbackup to restore my cydian packages and clean status still remember what i had hidden on the status bar

13. Vick84 macrumors regular

Vick84

i got a replacement and restore it from my back up(jailbroken phone) and it carried over the fonts from fontswap..so basically my stock iphone has different font without being jailbroken.

14. dudeabiding macrumors 6502

dudeabiding

Sometimes after a stock restore I'll re-jailbreak and add my Cydia apps back in, only to find that their prefs have remained.

Maybe the best way to do a wipe is to Reset from the Settings menu and then Restore twice. Also, setup as new phone, and manually add your media, etc.

15. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Them cougars, bro! ;)

16. dalilblaze macrumors member

dalilblaze

I took mine into the apple store newly restored because factime and findmyiphone didn't work. It was recently jailbroken and when i gave it to the tech he ran test on it and he said, '' I see your phone has just been restored." When he said that i froze then he laughed and replaced it with a new Iphone 4g white. :)

17. LoneWolf121188 thread starter macrumors 6502a

So I don't know if we have some strange form of luck, or Apple is implementing a new policy of being lenient with replacements, but...my mom got an iPad 2 a few weeks ago (non-jailbroken), and within a week, she dropped it face down on a tile floor...shattered the glass, though it was still functional (I swear, we're usually not this bad! We've had iPhones since day 1 and then all of a sudden we drop two iDevices within a month!). My dad took it in to the Apple store (different state) today, and guess what? They replaced the whole unit free of charge! They wrote: "Parts and Labor: $350. Total cost: $0.00." :D :D :D

Maybe this is a new policy? Quick, everyone with broken iDevices, bring them into Apple stores for free repairs/replacements before Apple changes their mind! :D

18. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

That's silly to freeze. If the genius had asked, I'd have said that I restored to see if it would bring facetime back.
    FYI: the iphone 4 doesn't have 4G. :rolleyes:

19. Doom878 macrumors member

It reminds me of when I had a car warranty and I'd take in my car to the dealer to fix like the A/C even though I had an intake, exhaust, and headers. Lots of time guys in the biz are enthusiasts and we'll BS about cars and what not. Luckily some of the Geniuses are enthusiasts and appreciate creativity.

20. Kayan macrumors 6502

It's definitely not a new policy, I've always liked Apple customer service for the most part and so have others, which is one big reason why they are so popular now. But I have this little brother that has dropped his iPhone twice, and then bricked his 1st-gen iPhone once, and all three times they swapped his iPhone for a new one. Now, once or twice, he talked to a strict sales tech that wouldn't do anything for him, however, he went back in a few weeks and talked to someone different that just replaced it easy. It totally depends on what kind of person you deal with in there.

21. buckeye269 macrumors newbie

My uncles father had his iPhone 4 jailbroken for him by his grandson who also happened to be a genius. He said his grandson and all of his friends had their iPhones jailbroken as well.