Interesting idea on Iphone (Electronic) Insurance

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by phil1995, Sep 15, 2012.

1. phil1995 macrumors member

I do a bit of international travel and carry my Macbook Pro, Ipad and Iphone with me all of the time. I contacted my insurance company to find out if my electronic equipment was covered in the case of damage or theft.

Interestingly enough, what I found out was that I could add a ryder onto my policy that would cover me in case of damage, theft or loss of property. I added $5,000 worth of electronics coverage and it increased my home owners insurance by $14 / year.

Just another way to look at insuring your devices. Hope this helps others.

2. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

Good stuff, did not know they would over phones, I'll call up my insurance company.

3. phil1995 thread starter macrumors member

They told me it was $5,000 worth of coverage on any electronic device. I specifically asked if I needed to insure my phone seperate, and she said certainly not.

4. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Who's your insurance co.? I tried doing this with State Farm and they told me they couldn't insure phones. Also, what deductible do you have for your home owner's?

5. phil1995 thread starter macrumors member

AMICA Insurance, deductible on that ryder is $50. Forgot to mention the deductible, thats kind of important. Wouldn't make much sense if you had a $1,500 deductible.

6. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Did the same thing with my phone, iMac and wife's camera. Cost us about $19 a year

7. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Wow. I'll have to look into switching.

8. phil1995 thread starter macrumors member

Google AMICA, they are always rated at the top of the list. They just never do any advertising, and most people have never heard of them.

9. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

In many areas of the country putting in a homeowners claim on an electronics, jewelry or similar floater can end up raising your insurance rates more than you collected for 3 years. Consider that in your "bottom line" cost.

10. phil1995 thread starter macrumors member

Good to know. Did not realize that.