Interesting, iMessage uses 3G data when on wifi

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cynics, Sep 14, 2013.

1. cynics macrumors G3

Not really a big deal but I just noticed something and obviously it's not always like this like the thread title may suggest.

I'm waiting on the Comcast guy to turn on my Internet and I have a router and modem plugged in but not connected to the wall (Internet). My iPhone is connected to the internet-less router so I have they wifi indicator on the phone.

I'm still getting and sending iMessages however. Safari and everything else don't work however (of course).

I just thought that was interesting that the 3G radio and wifi could work at the same time. And found it surprising only iMessage could do this. Don't like it can do this secretly however don't care because 1. It's small amounts of data. 2. My employer pays my monthly bill.

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

This has always been this way.

iMessage polls it's server so it knows which way to go. You can force wifi with airplane mode and wifi back on.

3. cynics thread starter macrumors G3

Hmm..

Not that I thought I was the person that found this just didn't know how many people knew it.

Thought it'd be interesting for those that have really small data plans and utilize iMessage. You're Internet could be down and you think you're sending messages/pics/videos over wifi but you're using cell data.

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Very true. We don't live in a perfect world tho.

Mms costs around 40p in the uk and tbh that's a rip off. Most would prefer to hit there data I think lol

5. cynics thread starter macrumors G3

Ugh. It's the opposite me SMS/MMS are unlimited (on the plan my employer is using) data is not.

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Unlimited data for me lol

Reset yesterday.....

Attached Files: