Interesting take on iOS 6

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by luked14, May 23, 2012.

1. luked14 macrumors 6502

I'm sure some of you frequent the Verge forums, but for those who don't, user BParker27 wrote a really detailed post on what he hopes to see from iOS 6 with some original ideas (Smart Sense). He used the Paper app for some cool drawings too.

You can check it out here.

2. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

From reading the link ...

Lock screen
    Improving Notification Center
    Maps
    Siri

are the points I totally agree on.

Smart Sense is a big maybe.

And on the subject of Maps. I think once the iPhone has it's own default maps, Google will not only offer their maps in the app store but will also offer their free turn by turn navigation app that Android has.

3. matttye macrumors 601

Smart sense is a great idea and works really well. Look at "Tasker" for Android, as it's had those features for a long time.

4. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

The swipe up gesture should be one finger only.

Two finger swipe up is not optimal, fingers are of different length so you have to bend your middle finger in order to have it at the same length as your pointing finger, it's just not ergonomic and not as fast as one finger swipe.

Yes, it can be done, really, really well, and you won't swipe up by mistake.

There is a tweak called Zephyr that does it.

5. lepeos macrumors member

Hardly an interesting take, 95% of those ideas appear in 100% of iOS 6 wish lists. An interesting take would be like getting rid of 3rd party apps, and making the default web browser Chrome.

6. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Dunno. Everyone knows it'll be "The new iOS"... ;)

7. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

Please explain how you would not be able to swipe up by mistake? are you saying it would be something like pulling down on the notification center where you have to swipe from the very bottom of the screen?

I like the two finger swipe idea.
    I mean think about it. You have your phone in your left hand. you are using your right pointer finger to do a bunch of stuff on your phone. Now think, your other 3 fingers are already bent, so really the only work is to extend the middle finger to match the pointer finger.

8. luked14 thread starter macrumors 6502

It would be completely un-Apple-like but the best solution would be to integrate the Zephyr tweak as is with all the customization. That way, if people didn't like one finger they could use two fingers, and vice versa (that sounded really wrong as I was typing it). There are also other things you can customize (sensitivity and delay) to make the gesture better suit you.

9. FSMBP, May 24, 2012
    Last edited: May 24, 2012

FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

How about swiping from a corner? I've activated Notification Center accidentally a couple times when I touch the Status Bar, so I can see why people don't like one-finger swiping for Multitasking Tray. But a swiping from the corner seems unlikely to happen accidentally.

10. Drunken Master macrumors 65816

Drunken Master

Does anyone actually use the Notification Center though?

11. luked14 thread starter macrumors 6502

That could work well, kind of like a hot corner feature for iOS. You can do it through Activator but it doesn't work well. I'd like to see Zephyr add a corner option.

12. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Yes. To get my missed notifications

13. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Daily

14. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

Yah i agree i don't see Apple doing it, but if they could let you choose 1 or 2 finger swipe then i'd be ok with it. What i've really wanted was app switching like the iPad has and use two fingers for that since it'd be stupid to have to use 4 fingers :p

15. Drunken Master macrumors 65816

Drunken Master

Like Reminders?

I mean, missed texts and phone calls are easy to see because of the red badges.

It was cool at first, mainly for the weather, but I find that it's just not that useful.

16. Jedii macrumors regular

about as much as i use Siri

17. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

It's a quick way to check texts, missed calls, vms, and even apps notifications without having to go in to the app itself immediately. I find that very useful.

18. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

And the fact the you can just tap on the notification and it takes to straight to whatever app. Or just leave it alone.

19. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

I actually went through and turned off all the badges for all my apps so they show up exclusively in the notification center.

I found out after about 30 min of using my phone that because the badges were on the apps i had no use for the notification center, but i really liked using it, so i turned off the badges.

20. mrbutters macrumors regular

Oh cool, a bunch of other things Apple can steal from Android like they did with iOS 5. Way to go, thats some innovation right there! :rolleyes:

21. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I think everything he is asking for here is reasonable. The lockscreen idea seems like it is playing on what Intelliscreen X (jailbreak tweak) offers currently. I would say that is the number one reason I jailbreak now. If we had something like it in iOS6 I would sincerely reconsider jailbreaking at all.

One thing I would like to add to the list is better folders. Folders, as they currently are, are extremely limited. I would like to be able to put "unlimited apps" into a folder. Having three different "games" folders is a bit of a PITA. It would also be nice to theme these folders. This could be as easy as allowing me to pick an app with an icon representative of the folders. For example I have a board game folder. I could select "the game of life" icon to be the folder icon, maybe add some fancy boarder to it or something that indicates it is a folder.

22. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Oh cool, your roaming around in the iPhone threads. Way to go!!

23. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

I take it you haven't used Zephyr?

Trust me, you will not swipe up by mistake and once you use Zephyr, you will not go back to using a home button, it is just that good.

And yes, it is like the notification center, you swipe from the bottom edge of the screen, quickly swipe up and let go and the app slides off the screen and you're back on the homescreen, swipe up and hold and the Switcher opens.

I've made a small review of it, check it out, hope it answers your question.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1UyGU4vF6M

24. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

lol no i haven't used it, a long time ago i tried jailbreaking my iPod touch and it screwed a lot of things up, i went over instructions many many times and i did everything correct. Maybe they've improved the process by now but i'm satisfied with they way iOS is enough to not jailbreak my phone.

anyways it is really interesting. i didn't know it included app switching too from left to right.

The only thing i could see about that that would make it better is that when you switch to using two fingers you can swipe from any point in the screen and not have to use the edge.

25. wtmk81 macrumors regular

wtmk81

Zephyr is the real deal, I don't use the home button at all. I agree you don't swipe up by mistake. It's great.