Interesting tidbit on the new iPhone maps

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by baypharm, Sep 28, 2012.

1. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

"The New York Department of Transportation has pointed to research that shows that most bridge strikes occur because of incorrect GPS information, commonly caused by drivers using consumer-targeted software instead of GPS software designed for commercial use. Programs like Google Maps don’t know the difference between a driver driving a semi and a driver behind the wheel of a car, so while it can get you from point A to point B, you always need to be sure you’re keeping an eye out for warning signs. Be especially careful if you’re one of the over 5 million Americans who bought an iPhone 5. The new Apple Maps app is widely reported to take round-about routes or not even get you to your destination at all! With no way to regulate consumer software, the NYDOT is recommending that commercial drivers be prohibited from using them."

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

3. JoshObra macrumors regular

Problem with maps for me since the beginning (and now on iOS 6) is how it always prioritizes on taking the freeway even though the destination is down the street!

They need to put a "avoid-freeway" option.

4. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

That's one feature I like about Navigon. I can tell it avoid certain types of roads if possible. Toll roads, free-ways, etc. I'm sure these features will be added eventually into apple maps.