Interesting Username Idea For Sake Of Retrieval In Case Of Loss

Discussion in 'macOS' started by steiney, May 24, 2016.

1. steiney macrumors 6502

I have an interesting idea for a username for my account on my laptop and I'd be interested to see if there are any reasons against it. My idea is to make my username "Please call X at XXX-XXX-XXXX.", where the first X is my first name and the remaining X's are my phone number. The reason for doing this is that in the event of theft, even if I use Find My Mac to locate the computer, apparently once the computer is locked remotely to secure it and display the "please return" message it stops allowing you to track its location, which seems like an ability I'd like to maintain. And even for a lost/left behind computer, I'd still want the good samaritan who finds the laptop to be able to immediately have my phone number without me having to get logged into my iCloud account and send the lock signal. The laptop has full disk encryption turned on and it's secured with a very strong password plus my Apple account has two factor authentication turned on so I don't have to worry about getting it locked to prevent someone from messing with my data.

Are there any good reasons why I shouldn't do this that I'm overlooking? Possible issues I've thought of are:

1. It would probably become annoying to type out the username if/when I end up messing around in the terminal, which is fairly rare for me. I could always shorten the username to "(XXX) XXX-XXXX" so it's shorter but formatted to make it very clear it's a phone number.
    2. I suppose if a thief were highly sophisticated they might somehow be able to use the knowledge of my phone number from the username and somehow get around the two-factor authentication. I don't know if this is actually possible but who knows what exploit some clever person might come up with.

I'd really appreciate any feedback, positive or negative, on this!

2. JohnDS macrumors 65816

A simpler solution is to just add your contact information to the log on screen:

1. Open System Preferences and then select the "Security & Privacy" pane.
    2. Click the lock icon in the bottom left to unlock it and make changes. ...
    3. Select the "Show a message when the screen is locked" option, then click "Set Lock Message" and put your contact information in as the lock message.

3. steiney thread starter macrumors 6502

Holy heck!!! I feel like the biggest possible schmuck right now. I am a pretty serious Mac-ophile, so it is beyond how I did not know about that feature. Makes me wonder what else I've overlooked!

Thank you!

EDIT: I've even been in that same preference pane many times. I don't know how I never saw that option.

4. JohnDS macrumors 65816