Interesting video, do you agree or disagree with this guy? (Sexuality)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by waloshin, May 4, 2010.

1. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

The guy seems pretty confused, and he doesnt really make any arguement for the things he's claiming ("nobody is born gay")

To me it sounds like he was born gay and has decided to try and change himself to be more accepted.

2. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I wish it was a link to interesting sexuality on video. I'm home alone tonight.

edit: n/m I found my own videos.

3. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    That guy's 'gayer' than any gay man I've ever met. Only parasite this guy's caught is the holy bullsh.. I mean spirit.

:cool:

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

5. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Does it make sense? He says he does not have any interest in being sexually or romantically involved with men, but that he struggles with homosexual temptations. What does the latter even mean then? No, it does not make sense.

Is it possible? The entire video is a confession of sorts that what he usually tells people about being "cured" is a lie, that the official story of "praying the gay away" is false. No, it is not possible.

PROTIP: Men who are not gay do not need to spend eight and a half minutes explaining on YouTube why they are not gay.

Answer the question yourself, waloshin. Do you think that guy is "fixed?" You heard him almost wax lyrical about how he wants to be with men and love men (in a totally straight way and doesn't everybody, of course), then add as an afterthought how, yeah, women too. Imagine you're the woman who has just met this guy through eHarmony or some such, and before the date, you find this video. Would you feel at all confident pursuing a relationship with him?

In rereading what I've written, it sounds like I'm being really harsh on the poor guy, which isn't what I meant, so I hasten to add how hard that video was to watch. It reminded me of nothing so much as a terrorist captive forced to sit in front of a camera and read a statement spouting his captors' propaganda and excoriating the very people he wants more than anything to see again before he dies. It was kind of nauseating.

6. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

"I was pretty much destined to be gay."

He hit the nail on the head quite early on.

I'm sorry this causes him so much mental anguish; he's been brainwashed.

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It's sad indeed. I've known people like this, and many times they don't come to terms with themselves til much later in life.

8. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Sounds like he's trying to take C.S. Lewis' concept of the four loves and pigeonhole himself into the appropriate ones to convince himself that he doesn't have those urges. There's plenty of denominations that accept people who lead a gay lifestyle, so hopefully he finds some sort of personal peace.

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Can we please do away with this "gay lifestyle" thing?

It's not something you try on to see if it fits.

10. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Nor has he. He's deliberately suppressing his desires to act out on his feelings due to his inability to come to terms with himself. He's leading a straight lifestyle in a gay body. For him to openly act as he would like to, his lifestyle would be different. That's not to say the person underneath has changed, only the way they express themselves. That's why I don't understand your objection to the term, unless you're simply proposing it's been misused to the point it's acquired a false connotation.

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

That term is used against us constantly. Plus, he's not living a "straight lifestyle" anyway. He's living a lie. It also implies that someone can just "not be gay" if they want to. It doesn't work that way.

12. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

The word "lifestyle" implies something defining and all-encompassing, like when you come out you automatically stop being anything else. This is notably exactly what homophobes claim is true of gay people. It is meant to evoke scary images of wildly flamboyant men doing nothing with their days but cruising, going to orgiastic techno dance clubs and plotting ways to convert your fine, upstanding (but sometimes unsettlingly "sensitive") sons to the same "lifestyle." The image is of sort of a rainbow-colored zombie apocalypse, with more dancing unless Michael Jackson is involved and a somewhat lower anatomical fixation.

Nobody but nobody would ever think to refer to himself as living the "straight lifestyle" except in the context of comparison to that contrived term. I defy you to even tell me what "straight lifestyle" would mean apart from "he dates women," and if that's all you mean, just say that instead of using a code word for a bundle of stereotypes. "The gay lifestyle" denies gay people the privilege of being distinct individuals and explicitly homogenizes them into something alien. It is more subtle than a simple epithet, but its superficial innocuousness is what makes it such a dangerous slur.

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Dammit- can you teach a class in the art of written self-expression? I wanna talk pretty like you. :) That was a perfect explanation.

14. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

I agree. I'd sign up for it without hesitation. No one posts more eloquently and clearly than Gelfin.

15. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

I had no intention to use it as such; I was simply unaware that the term had acquired a pejorative quality to it, although it stands to reason given the explanation here. The apparent convenience of the term here stems from the individual's expressed attempts to suppress certain aspects of his personality and sexuality to gain acceptance amongst his peers. I felt that the use of an encompassing term like "lifestyle" would adequately embody the shift his life would see if he allowed himself to act naturally. Given the stigma of the term, I'll choose future words more carefully.

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I prefer the term "be yourself". :)

17. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

If only I could work out how to take compliments. :eek: Thanks.

Step one: Invent a time machine.
    Step two: Visit my junior high English teacher Mrs. Freeman.

Additionally, it helps a lot to have a hugely disorganized mess in your own brain and a burning need to straighten it all out and make sense to yourself. Killing a lot of time in PRSI and the like doesn't hurt.