Interferring in foreign elections is wrong!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Chew Toy McCoy, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

Unless we do it, the heavyweight champions of election interference.

[​IMG]

2. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

I love how they stopped at 200 to avoid listing the US involvement in Mid East elections, the brexit vote, etc.

3. Chew Toy McCoy, Apr 22, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2017

Chew Toy McCoy thread starter macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

Yeah, I heard elsewhere it's closer to 80 countries but I couldn't find a snazzy info graphic for that figure. Or maybe some of that 80 was repeats in the same countries.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 22, 2017 ---
    I'm also willing to bet those with the same awareness as those who think the ACA and Obamacare are 2 different things think Russia is still a communist country when they are in fact just a more corrupt and strong armed version of our government. So it would be like they re attempting to export the US to the US.

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Yup. It's not good, we should maybe do something about the most recent one(s).

5. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

Is this surprising to anybody? Do we want the US to stop doing this?

6. Chew Toy McCoy thread starter macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

Probably is surprising to some. I'm just pointing out one of the many hypocritical attitudes some people have.

7. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

8. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

Like who?

9. Chew Toy McCoy thread starter macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

Appearently the leaders of the Demcratic party the way they're going ballistic over a possible Russia influence.

10. bbrks macrumors 65816

bbrks

Well US boys and girls, just maybe you should finally stop acting as a world police and mess up everything and simply start taking care of you own backyard bevore it's to late.....

11. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

We would, but then everybody would complain we're not doing enough.

12. bbrks macrumors 65816

bbrks

13. joy.757 macrumors regular

14. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

It okay when we do to other countries because we are the good guys.... Right?

15. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I'd be much more interested in only the elections interfered with since 2000.

16. Scepticalscribe, Apr 23, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2017

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Russia in the mid 1990s: Actually, it was during the Presidential election of 1996, when, according to opinion polls, it appeared that Boris Yeltsin might lose the election, an unwelcome outcome to the west. As an example of interference, it was quite notorious at the time.

Needless to say, this has led - subsequently - to some ill-feeling in that country (not entirely unjustified) ever since, along with a large dose of cynicism at the perceived double-standards when the US deigns to lecture Russia on its democratic short-comings in electoral matters.

Now, the UK........must do some further research.......

17. sorcery macrumors regular

sorcery

Could start with the intelligence community interest in Harold Wilson? Just speculation...

18. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Oh, heaven's, yes. Good grief.

I did read "Spycatcher" all those years ago.

19. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

When was the last time the police were used to overthrow/interfere with sovereign nation's elections? It's time to put this "world police" ******** talking point to bed.

The term is empire people, empire.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 24, 2017 ---
    First, why 2000?

Second, there's a handful including Ukraine ("Yatz is the guy") since 2000.

Here's the thing. Americans/Western powers may think "well that was 20 years ago" so it's irrelevant to today....people have memories. The USA discredits itself in the eyes of everyone with a historical memory span longer than a gnat....except in the eyes of Americans. Fancy that.

20. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I would be interested in what the source considers to be "meddling." Clearly the U.S. has engaged in a vast array of activities over these decades. But an infographic without any further context is poor evidence.

21. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I suspect that the scope, range, extent, form - and, for that matter, the very definition - of the "meddling" in question varied from country to country, and, indeed, from era to era over the period in question (and since then).

Such "meddling" would be a lot more subtle - if it occurs - in western Europe, than the form it might have taken in the eastern half of the continent. And again, this, in turn, would probably have been discretion personified when contrasted with some of what occurred elsewhere - in less, perhaps, sophisticated, or, certainly less powerful, parts of the globe.

22. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

https://academic.oup.com/isq/articl...en-the-Great-Power-Gets-a-Vote-The-Effects-of

This is the author's study on the topic, from Carnegie Mellon. His website (http://www.dovhlevin.com/datasets) promises making the dataset available soon, but the study itself is accessible if you'd like to read up on the specifics. Note that the study is not solely about America (it's just the numbers weigh heavily on the US being the number one meddler around the world) so we can jump ahead of the "He just hates Amurica" comments soon to follow by the regulars here....
    He's got a fully published paper on the topic, which defines the terms in context of the study. So as you know, the definition from country to country are moot.
    I think they stopped at 2000 for the sake of having verifiable datasets to analyze. The infographic is merely formed from a subset of the information in the study given that the study is NOT "how many governments has the USA ****ed with" but an analysis of election meddling worldwide.

23. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

The way that "election interference" needs to be more clearly defined as well. I don't think what Russia is accused of doing in the 2016 election counts as election interference.

24. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Then go to the "terms" section of the study. I don't know what to tell you other than an infographic can be railed against all you want, but it's based on the published academic paper so if you have an issue with an open ended term go and look up what it means in context within the paper.

Also, I agree with you on Russia. The notion that (allegedly) leaking emails is somehow election interference is the height of stupidity.

25. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'll be sure to check it out when I have some more time.

But just on principle, I'm not a fan of the logic, "America meddled in elections, so we can't complain when someone meddles in ours." Ideally, no one should meddle in another country's election—with exceptions for promoting the freedom to vote or facilitating an open and fair process.