Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
I have a Power macintosh G3 Mini Tower, CD,ZIP, and Floppy. The Floppy drive works fine in OS 9 but don't do anythigng in OS X. If you put a floppy in the drive wont even make a noise. I have Mac OS X 10.1.5, any reasons why it won't work? Help please...

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
Floppy

Who makes the floppy drive?

My teacher said we need to save all our essays and stuff on a floppy, but I don't have a floppy drive.

So, since I have .mac, I just go to class, connect to my iDisk, and in my Documents folder, is all my work. It all updates, so I dont even have to put it in there. Its really cool.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
Re: Internal Floppy not recondized in OS X (10.1.5)

Originally posted by LimeiBook86
I have a Power macintosh G3 Mini Tower, CD,ZIP, and Floppy. The Floppy drive works fine in OS 9 but don't do anythigng in OS X. If you put a floppy in the drive wont even make a noise. I have Mac OS X 10.1.5, any reasons why it won't work? Help please...

i was just messing w/ my floppy drive today...

i've got a VST USB floppy drive which i'd only used under os9. i recently installed jag. today i popped in a floppy, and i got nothing.

what i found:

1. the floppy has to be formatted to mount

2. an unformatted floppy does nothing

3. to work around 2., unplug the drive (well, you can't, but this may help others), put the floppy in, plug it back in. this should mount it (though i haven't verified that, so ymmv).

i did boot to os9 and install drivers, but nothing on osx. according to vst, they're built into the OS (dunno if that counts for 10.1.5, though)

hope some of this helps

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
I guess I wasen't clear on this, the Floppy drive is internal. It is built into the Power Macintosh G3 Mini Tower (biege) When I insert a floppy under OS X the drive doesn't even make any noises, the floppy just stays in the drive and thats it! I wonder why it is doing this, I have tryed many floppies. I know the drive works, in OS 9 it works fine, also when I go to Apple System profiler in OS X it doesn't show the floppy Drive under "Drives and Volumes" I don't know what can be wrong!! I want help!:(

Wash!!

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2002
here, there, who knows
OS X does not support floppies

OS X does not support internal floppy drives in the old beige G3 there is an UNIX utility that can make work, I haven't use it because I have no need for it I haven't use a floppy in 3 years (what's a floppy any way? :p

An external USB floppy drive works fine.

here is the link use on your own risk
http://www.versiontracker.com/mp/propageapp.m

PS. here it is another driver you can use once again use at your own risk
http://www.darwin-development.org/floppy/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.