Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghoztman

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 23, 2008
Switzerland
I recently had WiFi installed on my MacPro 2006. It is not a PCI card, it is wired to the board (I had to take the box in to a registered dealer have this installed).

I have a very weak signal and can't even open a webpage. It's attempts to load, but fails intermittently.

I can connect to my NAS or other network shares, but they are very, very slow.

I am no more than about 15 meters from the Timecapsule, two rooms away.

My Macbook has a perfect signal (very strong) at the same spot and operates as if I were right next to wireless router (1TB Timecapsule). I also have a Dell laptop that has a very strong connection.

The WiFi in the MacPro is as good as useless. I cannot move the router as it runs off a cable modem and I only have one cable connection in the apartment. I also don't want to have ethernet cables running all over the place.

Has anyone experienced this and is there anything that can be done?

Regards.

Trip.Tucker

Mar 13, 2008
Check if the antenna wire was connected. It may have come loose during transit if it was not plugged in firmly. My Mac Pro has a very good range (approximately 54 feet) through 4 walls with full signal.

ghoztman

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 23, 2008
Switzerland
Thanks for the reply.

Now that you mention this, it is worth mentioning that it did used to work.

This may well have happened as I recently installed an ATI XI 1900 (which I then took out again...), so I may have dislodged it.

Are there any diagrams of where this is on the board? Is it an actual sticky-outy (for lack of a better word) arial?

I have just found this, is this it?

Trip.Tucker

Mar 13, 2008
Thanks for the reply.

Now that you mention this, it is worth mentioning that it did used to work.

This may well have happened as I recently installed an ATI XI 1900 (which I then took out again...), so I may have dislodged it.

Are there any diagrams of where this is on the board? Is it an actual sticky-outy (for lack of a better word) arial?

I have just found this, is this it?

That's the one. Any loose wire?

ghoztman

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 23, 2008
Switzerland
I opened it up and made sure all connectors were clicked in place. The Apple techy who installed the wireless for me did some cable control and I can't see where the antenna goes. But I turned the box around and moved it out of the corner, it seems to be very sensitive to positioning. It works though which is the main thing.

ghoztman

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 23, 2008
Switzerland
Update. I secures all wires. I still have to move the case out of the corner and face the back in the direction of the router. No big deal, it fluctuates, sometimes I can move it back and it's OK. Seems to be a problem of position.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.