International data for iphone maps

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zeynsom, Apr 27, 2012.

1. zeynsom macrumors newbie

WE are traveling to Italy for a 6 day trip. I will be using my iPhone mostly with a wifi to check my emails etc. However, we would like to have an active data plan for the time we are on the road mainly to use the map feature to get directions in case we are lost etc. My question is how much data you think we would use for only the map feature, let's say, for half an hour/day for 4-5 days? I am trying to decide which data plan of AT&T we should buy. In addition, do you have any other tips/warning for the data plans?

2. mattkowalski macrumors member

If you're just using maps, try getting hold of Motion-X GPS. It'll let you download as many maps as you'll need, in advance, so you don't need data access while abroad (only GPS for which there's obviously no charge). I'm sure there are other map apps that do the same, but Motion-X is my weapon of choice.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I agree.
    Or get a GPS app that has the maps preloaded so you wont need any international roaming data or have any surprise bill when you come home.

4. wacky4alanis macrumors 6502

Tom Tom has preloaded maps for Europe (so you wouldn't need data), but they're not cheap.