• Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

170710-ipad_launch_uk_stores.jpg

With Friday's launch of the iPad in nine new countries set for Friday, Apple and others are making preparations for the big day. On Apple's front, the company has announced that its retail stores in the launch countries will be opening at 8:00 AM to accommodate the expected crowds looking to get their hands on the company's tablet device. Eight of the nine countries seeing iPad launches on Friday have Apple-owned retail stores, with Spain being the only exception.

In the UK, a report from Times Online indicates that 139 retail stores owned by DSGi, including Currys, PC World, and Dixons Travel, will also be offering the iPad at launch.
The retailer is thought to have a 60-day exclusive window in selling the device outside Apple stores, although rumours abound that it may also be available in Best Buy’s mega-store in Thurrock. Best Buy is already selling the iPad in the US.
Meanwhile, UK wireless carrier 3 has announced two monthly recurring iPad 3G service plans priced at £7.50 (1 GB) and £15.00 (10 GB). Orange and O2 released UK data pricing earlier this month.

Numerous MacRumors who pre-ordered iPads in the nine new launch countries have reported over the past few days that their orders have shipped and are expected to be delivered on time.

Article Link: International iPad Launch Details: Apple Stores Opening Early, UK Third-Party Retailers, UK 3G Service From 3

brewno

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2007
Montreal, Canada
I pre-ordered mine, but it will not be delivered till like June 8th so I'll wake up early on the 28th and try my luck at the store...and just cancel my pre-order there.

Comment

jayhawk11

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2007
I still wish that I could use mine with T-Mobile here in the states. I know it's unlocked, but using it on EDGE-only is a deal breaker.

Comment

afd

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2005
Scotland
Seems a bit rubbish that shops that do a good job of selling apple stuff, John Lewis or Cancom get ignored for 60 days. I'd think twice before buying a windows machine from the dixons group, let alone a mac.

Comment

MecPro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009
London
Amazing deal from 3, makes me laugh that Voda, Orange and 02 are offering 3GB for £15...****ing joke

Comment

nednarm

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2010
U.K
the 3 3g prices look pretty good, much better than the other main competitors anyway.

Comment

iigsie

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2007
currys, pc world and dixons are owned by the same company

yep, all owned by DSGi as the article says

Seems a bit rubbish that shops that do a good job of selling apple stuff, John Lewis or Cancom get ignored for 60 days. I'd think twice before buying a windows machine from the dixons group, let alone a mac.

I'd think twice about buying anything from Dixons. Expensive prices & clueless and annoying staff.

Amazing deal from 3, makes me laugh that Voda, Orange and 02 are offering 3GB for £15...****ing joke

I've got a 3 mifi thingie and it's generally much faster than 02, and much better signal. Only issue is there is virtually no coverage outside built up areas.

Comment

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009

I agree. I purchased a few things from Dixons before they got sold; but Currys, PC World and Comet - no way!

The only place - other than Apple - where I would buy an Apple product is John Lewis (outside London, that is). When is the second-gen coming to the UK?

Comment

feri

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2008
London, UK
The only problem with 3 is that you should call them to activate it. it's just O2 that gives you the online activation option. Anyway 3 is the best and we should give it a try.

I received an email from apple that I will get my iPad before or on May 28th. Before? i don't think so!

Comment

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2008
With Friday's launch of the iPad in nine new countries set for Friday

Good thinking on Apple's part -- a Friday launch set for Monday would have been confusing. (Sorry, I'm a professional editor, and I couldn't resist. :D)

Comment

millypede

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2004
UK

Yeah dont believe that for a min.

Comment

TPALTony

macrumors regular
May 29, 2007
Great plans from 3!

I was all ready to trim down the SIMM from my Orange USB modem when I saw this post. Definitely ordering a 3 Micro-SIM, when they fix whatever is making their "Find Address" button keep moaning about a license key being over it's limit! :)

Comment

Poncho

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2007
Holland
HTML:
Good thinking on Apple's part -- a Friday launch set for Monday would have been confusing. (Sorry, I'm a professional editor, and I couldn't resist. )

If you're a professional editor then why did you not use a colon after 'part' instead of that strange broken dash thingy?

A dash means you are going off on a tangential thought.

Comment

davemccourt

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2010
If you're a professional editor then why did you not use a colon after 'part' instead of that strange broken dash thingy?

A dash means you are going off on a tangential thought.

The double-dash is used to show an en-dash (the correct character doesn't always show on the web). He has used it here as a parenthetical pause (or parenthetical thought) to show an afterthought.

HTH

Comment

RichTF

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2007
London, UK
I love 3. They have this revolutionary notion about the mobile internet being reasonably priced and unrestricted. Did you know they actively encourage VOIP usage, with no extras fees? Amazing stuff.

The other networks have better coverage, but they're run by dinosaurs... (and 3 are catching up!) :cool:

Comment

GollumBoy

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2010
Chesterfield, UK
I agree. I purchased a few things from Dixons before they got sold; but Currys, PC World and Comet - no way!

The only place - other than Apple - where I would buy an Apple product is John Lewis (outside London, that is). When is the second-gen coming to the UK?

Dixons has not been sold. Dixons still operates from dixons.co.uk and under the company name Dixons Stores Group International (DSGi), and is the owner of Currys and PC World, not Comet.

I'd think twice about buying anything from Dixons. Expensive prices & clueless and annoying staff.

Prices are better than they used to be and computers are reasonable prices too.
Not all staff are clueless and annoying, I pride myself to be a knowledgeable staff member at PC World.

Unfortunately my store isn't one of the 139 to stock the iPad immediately, however my local PCW will be.

Comment

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Sorry, but I wouldnt TOUCH DSG with a 100ft ethernet cable!

I think my grandma knows more about 'tech' than their entire management team! They are overpriced, untrained, and think an iMac is a white poncho. :rolleyes:

BestBuy in Thurrock would be waaaay better. I was there on launch day and the American staff were really friendly, and it felt like I was back in the good ol' Orlando store that I've taken to visiting yearly.

In addition DSG have made a LOSS for the last 3 to 4 years running. I have a friend working in PC World (he started a few months ago) who has never received any training, and was even told to sell the PC World insurance on macs, but dont tell customers that macs aren't covered!!

Down with DSG and boo to anyone who thinks they are a good retailer!

*rant over*

Comment

GollumBoy

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2010
Chesterfield, UK
In addition DSG have made a LOSS for the last 3 to 4 years running. I have a friend working in PC World (he started a few months ago) who has never received any training, and was even told to sell the PC World insurance on macs, but dont tell customers that macs aren't covered!!

Down with DSG and boo to anyone who thinks they are a good retailer!

*rant over*

Lol the Whatever Happens DOES cover Macs! Just a couple of features aren't supported.

I have used used WEH twice on my Mac when I've broken it (water damage and second time when I dropped it!)

Comment

davemccourt

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2010
I use 3 out in the sticks (mid-Wales) and they have the best 3G and 2G signal of any operator around here. With my iPhone I now get 300 minutes and unlimited data for 15GBP a month (including tethering) compared to 45GBP that O2 wanted to charge me.

Comment

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2010
Props to 3 for doing this, O2 and Voda should rethink their pricing strategy.

to the informed, it seems like O2 and Voda were in for a quick buck - well done to 3 for smashing their prices.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.