International Texting on T-Mobile iPhone 5 without International Texting Plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ET iPhone Home, May 1, 2013.

1. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

So a friend was able to receive and send international text messages on T-Mobile unlocked iPhone 5 without the $10 international texting plan she was told she would require. She's on one of those basic $30/month pay-as-you-go plan (non-contract).

Will T-Mobile charge her for those international texts even if she's not bound by a contract and has paid for the plan in advanced, or will these international texts be drawn from her 1500 min. plan?

She was told, per 1 text equals 1 min., but not sure how that would equate with international texts.

This is her first month with T-Mobile.

Thanks!

2. 617aircav Suspended

The plan probably comes with it, I dont see how they can charge her anyhow.

3. CEmajr macrumors 601

When you activate a prepaid account you usually have about $3.34 leftover from the activation kit. Once she exhausts this then she probably won't be able to send them anymore without adding more money to the balance.

4. ET iPhone Home thread starter macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

How much do you think each international text cost? T-Mobile said if you receive international texts, it gets drawn from the $30/1500min./monthly plan. But if you send international texts, you require the international text plan. I'm curious about this $3.34 balance, and how many texts can you send from that balance?

5. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Pre-paid means metered and typically when metered there is no difference between domestic or International text. AT&T PayGo used to charge me 20c per text, don't remember exactly.

In the UK, ppl receive text free, only the sender get charged.

In the U.S. they pick BOTH pockets, like double dipping. SCAMS! :mad:

6. 617aircav Suspended

The US has to be the only country where both parties pay for the same text or call.

7. ET iPhone Home thread starter macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Ok Thanks. I do recall hearing the same now that you've mentioned it.

8. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Truth be told, by design, it costs the telco nothing to send and revive texts. Charging anything for them is a scam, pretty much. (This is only true for SMS and not mms, however).