International Travel - iphone 4s how

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by i-sidd, Nov 5, 2011.

1. i-sidd macrumors 6502a

Hi all,

I am on att and wanted to find out how to use the 4s if traveling abroad? Can I go buy sim card from the country of travel and use it a pay as you go phone in that country.

I don't want international roaming on att.

2. b24pgg macrumors 65816

The only way to currently get an unlocked AT&T iPhone 4S is to buy it as a full retail "device only" purchase from an Apple Store.

AT&T does not unlock their iPhones. You can alternatively wait for a jailbreak.

3. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Unlocked phones are not currently available in the US. The AT&T phone is still restricted to the AT&T network, even if you happen to get one that's not locked yet.

Unlocked phones will be selling in the US later this month.

4. JoganJani macrumors member

Device Only phones in US are unlocked and can be used abroad with local SIM while there.

5. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

And most Apple stores are NOT selling them yet...

6. sevimli macrumors 6502a

they are on sale since oct 14th.

7. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

We're talking about UNLOCKED iPhones for INTERNATIONAL travel. They are not yet officially on sale....

8. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Have not heard that before most stores I have checked will sell you one. There is nothing different in the phone it is part of the check out procedure at the register. If you pay full price and it is checked out as "Device only" that makes it unlocked.

The feature was added to apple stores in June even with the Iphone 4 where in addition to the Sim free unlocked phones they could take any ATT phone off the shelf check it out as Device only and that made it same as the SIM free unlocked phone.

9. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

I have been to my Apple store 4 times. I was told FOUR TIMES that they couldn't sell me an off contract phone. I have called Apple 3 times. I was told 3 times "some time in November". I just did an online chat with "Deacon" from apple who told me it was "just a rumor" that unlocked iPhones we're being sold in some stores. And that Apple had "no knowledge" of some retail stores selling iPhone 4Ss off contract. I had a friend call HIS apple store. He was also told no. If you look on the apple site it says "coming in november" but does not list a day. So, no, the iPhone 4S is not yet officially being sold unlocked or off contract.

10. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

LapsangSouchong is right in that no Apple Store is currently selling the device bound to no carrier whatsoever (they list that release date as November). However, if you buy a non-commitment iPhone from the Apple Store for AT&T, it will be rung up as a "Device Only" purchase, and be unlocked.

11. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

(and my AT&T store told me they weren't selling those yet....)

12. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

If you already have the iphone 4S and is on AT&T, most likely it is carrier locked. It cannot be unlocked. AT&T nor Apple unlocks them. So in this scenerio, international roaming is the only choice.

If you are still within your return period, I suggest you return it and buy a fully priced iphone 4S at the apple store when it becomes available. Apple stated that factory unlocked iphones will be available sometimes in November.

13. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

Best answer. If you just bought the 4S return it before the 30 days are up, and wait for an unlocked one. buy a go phone at walmart if you need a phone for the intervening time.

14. gb21 macrumors newbie

It is certainly true that AT&T wasn't and isn't and won't be selling those, but apple has been since Oct 14th.

I've gotten 2 "device only" ones from Apple already and am currently using one with Tmobile, and will be using them with a foreign sim when I go abroad next week. They are unlocked.

15. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

And what I'm saying is they aren't OFFICIALLY selling them, and the only apple store within 300 miles of me WONT Sell one off contract right now.

16. johng723 macrumors member

I just bought two 32gb AT&T iPhone 4S's as "device only" off contract and are both unlocked now. You're right AT&T won't sell these but the apple store should. I simply told them I don't want to extend my contract and want to pay full price, but I specifically said AT&T. No problems. They didn't even ask for my phone number.

17. thatdrewguy macrumors regular

Just because they won't sell one to YOU doesn't discount the FACT that a bunch of people have bought and are using the unlocked 4S since the first days after launch. It's really laughable how you jump in every thread with your sob sorry and spread further misinformation. :)

18. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

They aren't officially selling them but just because you can't get one doesn't mean that there are people getting them

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1254114

19. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

OP, I would advise either buy a cheap phone to use while abroad or hope they release an jailbreak unlock for the iPhone 4S before your trip.

Alternatively, you can buy the iPhone 4S unlocked from Apple and have it rung up as "device only"; just tell them you want it for AT&T, but want it no-commitment.

20. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

riiight... I haven't said folks aren't getting them. I've said they aren't officially selling them.
    And, in fact, I finally got one tonight.

21. i-sidd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, I already have the iphone 4S but its NOT the unlocked version.

So can I turn off data, and then use wifi only when traveling abroad. Do I have to call ATT.

I can use another phone while I am traveling, my family may have spare phones, but I want to be able to use the other stuff like email, camera, ipod etc. internet through wi-fi.

Will I be able to use it for other stuff except calling.

22. klo-mac macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

If u are not in iOS 5 buy gevey sim and use it worldwide without any problem

Ignore my message, u have 4s so have iOS 5 :)

23. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

You should be able to put it in airplane mode, turning off all data and calls. Then turn just WiFi on. That's what I did on my recent vacation out of the country.

24. Nothlit, Nov 15, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2011

Nothlit macrumors regular

Yes, you can turn off cellular data and just use Wi-Fi. It will work just fine. There is no need to call AT&T.

Be aware, though, that if someone tries to call your iPhone from the U.S. while you're abroad, AT&T will bill you the international calling rate even if it goes to voicemail (whether you actively reject the call or just don't answer). This is because the call is routed to the foreign network, then back to AT&T's voicemail system when your phone doesn't answer. To avoid this, you need to turn on call forwarding (in Settings > Phone) and put in some alternate number (e.g., your Google Voice number, your home landline, or the direct number to AT&T voicemail). This will cause all calls to be forwarded immediately without being routed the foreign network first.

Another option is to put it in airplane mode before you leave, and just turn Wi-Fi back on. But this may prevent location services from working, since airplane mode disables the GPS.

25. i-sidd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Will location based services work in airplane mode? On wifi