International Travel w/Verizon 4S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CosmoPilot, May 6, 2012.

1. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Wirelessly posted

I have AT&T mainly because I'm constantly traveling overseas where GSM is prevalent. Works great!

The family is putting pressure on me to switch to Verizon (coverage is better where I live). However, I'm concerned about how the 4S works overseas. Do you have to do anything special to get a GSM connection overseas? I understand the 4S has a universal antenna (GSM / CDMA). My question is when departing the US (Verizon-CDMA) and arriving overseas (GSM), does the phone automatically pick up available networks or do you have to change settings, SIM card, etc?

Thanks in advance.

2. eastercat, May 6, 2012
    Last edited: May 8, 2012

eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

After about two months as a verizon customer, you can request an international unlock. Until then, you have to roam with Verizon's gsm partners. After the unlock, you can insert any non-US sim card. Depending on the provider, you might have to change apn settings.

3. CosmoPilot thread starter macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Thanks, but in terms of special settings on the phone, everything I transparent in terms of the phone finding available carriers?

4. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

Verizon gives you a GSM sim card when you get your phone. You just leave it in your phone. It'll roam on any GSM international network just like it does with you on AT&T.

5. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

:confused: I don't understand what you're asking.
    Are you asking about apn settings?

6. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

It should automatically pick up available networks WITHOUT you doing any settings. Note that it will cost more if you are using Verizon's GSM partners overseas. So if you can unlock it for international use then it's better to get a prepaid card overseas.

7. b24pgg, May 8, 2012

b24pgg macrumors 65816

Just nitpicking here but technically you only have to wait 60 days.
    Yes. Once you insert a GSM micro SIM, a "Network Selection" menu appears in Settings that allows you to choose a GSM carrier. This menu is hidden when you are on Verizon and there is no GSM SIM installed.

The phone will not activate on Verizon while a GSM SIM is installed; for some reason GSM "overrides" CDMA so you can't just switch back and forth between Verizon and a GSM network unless you take out the SIM.

(This is assuming your device is unlocked and you're not using Verizon's SIM that is obscenely overpriced)

8. CosmoPilot thread starter macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

This is the info I was looking for. Kinda sucks not being able to leave the SIM card in while in the US.

9. mlmwalt macrumors 6502a

My 4s worked fine in Montpellier, France when I was there. After seeing my bill, I should've gotten a local GSM sim card. :'(

10. eastercat, May 8, 2012

eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Thanks for the correction. I also fixed it in my post. I couldn't remember the exact amount of time and for some reason 90 days got stuck in my head.

11. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Potentially, the phone could then try and use the international SIM to roam on a GSM/UMTS network in the US.

Such a situation would obviously be confusing and costly.

12. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

The only difference here is you're really going to hate how Verizon handles call waiting. Other than that, your international roaming should be exactly the same as AT&T.