Internet Explorer Updates

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Internet Explorer 5.1.6 for Mac OS 8.1-9.x

This latest version_— version 5.1.6_— resolves all security vulnerabilities in previous versions of Internet Explorer_5 , including the security vulnerability described in this Microsoft Security Bulletin MS02-050, as well as vulnerabilities that might have caused Internet Explorer to stop responding or caused a memory problem that compromised the security of the computer.

Internet Explorer 5.2.2 for OS X
This latest version_— version 5.2.2_— provides all the latest security and performance enhancements for Internet Explorer_5 for Mac_OS_X, including the security vulnerability described in this Microsoft Security Bulletin MS02-050. It also provides support for the new Quartz™ text smoothing feature provided in Mac_OS_X version_10.1.5 and later, so text on your screen is easier to read.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by edvniow

Ugh, if IE6 is anything like the PC version avoid it at all costs. It's slower than anything else I've tried out and it's got no tabs.
I'm not too psyched about an Apple browser... and I don't think not having IE on the Mac would be a good thing.

I've tried Chimera 0.5, but it kept crashing on me... mostly related to movie downloads.... I may try again when a few new versions come out.

arn

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
Originally posted by arn

I'm not too psyched about an Apple browser... and I don't think not having IE on the Mac would be a good thing.

I've tried Chimera 0.5, but it kept crashing on me... mostly related to movie downloads.... I may try again when a few new versions come out.

arn

I'd like to see Apple come out with a browser anywayz, just to give M$ a big middle-finger, IE is one of the things that gives M$ an advantage in the browser was cuz most people use it and that's what most sites are optimized for. If Apple can come out with a browser they could integrate it into OSX seamlessly while still making most web pages appear correctly. I'd uninstall IE on my system right now if I didn't need it for one site that requires decent Java support, plus I'd hate to see what happens to Windoze if you remove IE, I'm afraid to cuz it's so integrated into the OS that it might cripple it when removed.:eek:

P-Worm

macrumors 68020
Jul 16, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
Re: Internet Explorer Updates

Originally posted by Macrumors
Internet Explorer 5.1.6 for Mac OS 8.1-9.x

This latest version_— version 5.1.6_— resolves all security vulnerabilities in previous versions of Internet Explorer_5 , including the security vulnerability described in this Microsoft Security Bulletin MS02-050, as well as vulnerabilities that might have caused Internet Explorer to stop responding or caused a memory problem that compromised the security of the computer.

Internet Explorer 5.2.2 for OS X
This latest version_— version 5.2.2_— provides all the latest security and performance enhancements for Internet Explorer_5 for Mac_OS_X, including the security vulnerability described in this Microsoft Security Bulletin MS02-050. It also provides support for the new Quartz™ text smoothing feature provided in Mac_OS_X version_10.1.5 and later, so text on your screen is easier to read.
Who cares? :rolleyes:

Jays

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2002
Earth
well after not using IE for months, I thought well lets see what has improved, seems faster and the QE text is nice.
but when I tried to change the character coding the thing froze up on me...a quick force quit and is IE back in the trash... (fixed random freezes... yea right!!)
why do I even bother with M$ when there are so many better alternatives...

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
I think IE is the best browser on the Mac, it is faster than the others for me and does not crash like netscape (I use Mac OS 10.1.5 on a PowerBook G4 550).
But I have started hating MS again since they aquired my favourite games company, Rare. For another load of xbox exclusives, that were originally going to be on other machines. So Explorer will go in the trash and I will try out that Opera 6 people have been talking about.
Besides if MS have 99% of computer users using Explorer, then web designers will just make their pages work with IE. MS will then stop making it for the Mac and that will be the end of Linux/Apple/Unix. Since large sections of the web will only work on PCs. There are already quite a few sites that do not even work on Macs with IE since they use features built into windows.

Thirteenva

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
Originally posted by edvniow

Ugh, if IE6 is anything like the PC version avoid it at all costs. It's slower than anything else I've tried out and it's got no tabs.

I must disagree....

As much as i hate m$ i find IE 6 to be a huge improvement over 5.x and while there are many good alternatives to IE on a mac, NOTHING can match the performance of IE on a Windows machine. Its just not possible, IE is built into the OS and thus enjoys some optimization advantages. I find that it is much faster than any other browser I've used on the pc, even opera. While it may not have tabs or some other nice features that can be found else where, it is still the best pc browser based on speed and page rendering, hands down. I only wish the mac one performed just as well then i could justify using it on my mac where i spend most of my time.

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
Originally posted by Thirteenva

I must disagree....

As much as i hate m$ i find IE 6 to be a huge improvement over 5.x and while there are many good alternatives to IE on a mac, NOTHING can match the performance of IE on a Windows machine. Its just not possible, IE is built into the OS and thus enjoys some optimization advantages. I find that it is much faster than any other browser I've used on the pc, even opera. While it may not have tabs or some other nice features that can be found else where, it is still the best pc browser based on speed and page rendering, hands down. I only wish the mac one performed just as well then i could justify using it on my mac where i spend most of my time.
It may be well-integrated into the OS, but speed is very important to me especially since I'm on dialup. I tried Opera, faster, then I heard about Mozilla, downloaded it, a little faster, then I saw Phoenix, thought I'd give it a shot, guess what. It's even faster. IE6 is by far the slowest, most bloated browser I've ever had on my machine. Except for Netscape 6 of course.:p
I do agree that it renders pages more correctly than most, but that's only beause most sites are optimized for it.
There are plenty of faster browsers for the PC. Believe me, I wouldn't have gone out and tried all those alternative browsers if I didn't have such a slow internet connection.:(

Choppaface

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
SFBA
IE6 w/ cable and I'm getting near-instantaneous page loads and renders. dunno why dialup must be so different, but I've tried other browsers and IE is just too quick. mozilla for me is like running netscape 6 in OS X eh

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
The responsiveness issue has been totally fixed.

I can view huge threads in a split second now instead of it taking a few seconds to render.

Pages render way faster too.

I always thought it was a memory leak causing all the woes with IE, since it went from 4.5 to 5.x it's fragmented the RAM a lot and I've had to force quit at least once a day because of the damn wait cursor.

DavidRavenMoon

macrumors regular
May 11, 2002
Staten Island, NY
Originally posted by hvfsl
I think IE is the best browser on the Mac, it is faster than the others for me and does not crash like netscape (I use Mac OS 10.1.5 on a PowerBook G4 550).
Stay away from Netscape. Although I hear ther latest version is ok.

I used to use IE, but now I use Mozilla. Mozilla is great.

This version of IE seems ok, a bit faster on my system, and I need it for certain sites. I'm typing this in Mozilla 1.2a however. ;)

Choice is good. :D

neonart

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2002
Near a Mac since 1993.
I'm sticking with Chimera!

I've seen dozens of Explorer updates that claim improved performance, security this and that. None have ever done a thing for speed. Text smoothing was the only noticeable difference, but that's another thing altogether.
I decided to try Chimera, and holy moly it's fast! I's my default browser now. No issues with any sites yet. Only one crash(Not rare in IE either). I love the interface, the tabs, and the speed.
I thought my DSL had gotten slower, but it was IE for X and all it's incarnations. My machine has 1.5GB of RAM, and a DSL connection. A browser should not need to "think" for a few seconds to load simple sites.
Try it yourself. Open both browsers and visit the same sites on each one- you'll be impressed.

Rags

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2002
Originally posted by hvfsl
MS will then stop making it for the Mac and that will be the end of Linux/Apple/Unix.
You need to research what Unix/Linux is before you make a comment like that :p

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
Re: I'm sticking with Chimera!

Originally posted by neonart
I've seen dozens of Explorer updates that claim improved performance, security this and that. None have ever done a thing for speed. Text smoothing was the only noticeable difference, but that's another thing altogether.
I decided to try Chimera, and holy moly it's fast! I's my default browser now. No issues with any sites yet. Only one crash(Not rare in IE either). I love the interface, the tabs, and the speed.
I thought my DSL had gotten slower, but it was IE for X and all it's incarnations. My machine has 1.5GB of RAM, and a DSL connection. A browser should not need to "think" for a few seconds to load simple sites.
Try it yourself. Open both browsers and visit the same sites on each one- you'll be impressed.
I did. And wow! you're right. Chimera quickly loaded sites and then proceeded to display them about as incorrectly and with lack of dhtml and css support as possible. Screwed up flash about as bad as one hope too. What kind of sites are you people going to that don't use these standard technologies? IE is still the only one that supports all of this fully, with Netscape still a close second. But Netscape still has issues with basic tables, cell spacing and alignments at times. And no, it's not a matter of sites being designed for IE. Is just web design folks. You design a site to do something wiht html, dhtml and CSS. In IE it does it with barely an exception. In the others you just cross your fingers and hope that the errors are acceptable. And BTY, IE 5.x for mac actually displays more correctly than IE 6 for windows in my experience. Not to mention it has a better autofill engine.

That's all I've got on browsers!

macmax

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2002
caribbean
Re: I'm sticking with Chimera!

Originally posted by neonart
:D :D :D :D :D :
YES!!!!!!!!

neonart

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2002
Near a Mac since 1993.
Do you code for M$?

Originally posted by bretm

I did. And wow! you're right. Chimera quickly loaded sites and then proceeded to display them about as incorrectly and with lack of dhtml and css support as possible. Screwed up flash about as bad as one hope too. What kind of sites are you people going to that don't use these standard technologies? IE is still the only one that supports all of this fully, with Netscape still a close second. But Netscape still has issues with basic tables, cell spacing and alignments at times. And no, it's not a matter of sites being designed for IE. Is just web design folks. You design a site to do something wiht html, dhtml and CSS. In IE it does it with barely an exception. In the others you just cross your fingers and hope that the errors are acceptable. And BTY, IE 5.x for mac actually displays more correctly than IE 6 for windows in my experience. Not to mention it has a better autofill engine...
I've yet to have a problem with any site. Weather the HTML is 2 periods short, or one comma to the left I don't know, but the sites look fine in Chimera .5, and load faster.
Apple's site, Mini's site, Alienarts, Wachovia Bank, Pricewatch, Macrumors, MacOSrumos, Ford, Maczone, Outpost... not yet to find any problems. Verify that you are using Chimera .5 and see how sites look and feel. If you're going to sites that are made to push the absolute razor edge in web tech, then maybe yes you could find issues, but most people do not visit those sites for their daily use. In any case that's what IE is for. If you have some silly issue with one site, use it there. No need to delete it or anything like that.

Foocha

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2001
London
Netscape6/7/Mozilla is pretty good at CSS now - on a par with IE6 even. Still no full implementation of CSS 2 though.

Let's call a spade a spade.

IE on PC is a fantastic product. IE on Mac is a fair product - probably the best Web browser on the Mac platform.

The reason so many Mac users hate IE is because they hate Microsoft. MS is a large and aggressive company that has been found guilty of unlawful monopolistic practices, but it makes some great products - and IE is one of the best.

I'm a big Mac fan, so please don't flame me on this one. I just feel we should try to be honest and objective on this.

theaz

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2002
something rather odd here: has anyone else noted that the copyright notices in the aout box and launch splash screen still have 2001 as their date?

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
Re: Re: I'm sticking with Chimera!

Originally posted by bretm

I did. And wow! you're right. Chimera quickly loaded sites and then proceeded to display them about as incorrectly and with lack of dhtml and css support as possible. Screwed up flash about as bad as one hope too. What kind of sites are you people going to that don't use these standard technologies? IE is still the only one that supports all of this fully, with Netscape still a close second. But Netscape still has issues with basic tables, cell spacing and alignments at times. And no, it's not a matter of sites being designed for IE. Is just web design folks. You design a site to do something wiht html, dhtml and CSS. In IE it does it with barely an exception. In the others you just cross your fingers and hope that the errors are acceptable. And BTY, IE 5.x for mac actually displays more correctly than IE 6 for windows in my experience. Not to mention it has a better autofill engine.

That's all I've got on browsers!
So how is it that for you Netscape renders most CSS fine, but Chimera doesn't when both are based off of the same rendering and layout engine??? Are you talking about Netscape pre version 6?? Have you tried Mozilla??

Chimera had to do some work to put in Aqua widgets and I believe because of this, there are still a few bugs to be hammered out as compared to Mozilla. Plus their plugin support is lagging, but getting better every day.

For your info, Mozilla is the most compatible standards compliant browser out there. Beats IE hands down. The only problem is that MS releases non-standard browsers and APIs and then half the world writes for them. It leaves the rest of the browsers playing catchup when MS stops playing by thhe rules. Exactly where MS wants them.

Taft