Internet is very very slow, isp tried and didn't fix it, 74kbs on cable (cox)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by benlangdon, Oct 4, 2008.

1. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

this is riducously slow.
    i called cox this morning and all they told me to do is empty my cache and it did nothing. then they said hire someone.
    [​IMG]
    ive done this test before
    and i got 9000kbs
    and upload at around 500kbs.
    my upload speed seams to not be affected.

my router is a netgear one.

any help would be very much appriciated as it took me 10 min to login and post this.

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

1) Reset the router
    2) Try connecting without the router

3. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

4. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Scan for DNSchanger
    Delete it if its there
    Flush your DNS settings

5. benlangdon thread starter macrumors 65832

benlangdon

serious? Trojan horse?
    well i directly connected my computer to our router which right now is on a 30ft extension cable, and i tried that speed test site again and i got
    [​IMG]

i dunno what really good is but dammmmmmmm
    anyway
    maybe something to due with airport?
    its off right now, even if it worked i think im going to keep it direct connected.
    damm this is fast now.

6. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Well, if its running fine connected, try changing your router channel settings. A lot of time, interference (microwaves, phones, other networks on the same channel) can be a real bugger. Try one of the further ones (1 or 11).

7. benlangdon thread starter macrumors 65832

benlangdon

1 or 11?

8. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

Sounds like your internet provider sucks cox! LOL Sometimes this happens, and it is fixed in a day or two or a few hours. I have Time Warner/Adelphia and this has happened before to me too. Or try this:

1. Download OnyX (a free maintenance utility).

2. Go into your homedirectory/Library/Internet Plug-Ins and remove (you can move it all to your desktop or another folder) everything.

3. Delete the "com.apple.Safari.plist" and "com.apple.Safari.RSS.plist" files in your homedirectory/Library/Preferences folder.

4. Run OnyX and clear ALL caches (System, Fonts, User, etc.). Note, in each tab, execute the command. When it finished in that tab, it will ask you to reboot. Say NO. Go on to the next tab and repeat until all tabs are done. THEN REBOOT.

9. benlangdon thread starter macrumors 65832

benlangdon

well, i think its either the airport card or my router, or something i have no idea what it is,

because when its connected (wired) its fine/

10. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I'm not sure but I believe jackiecanev2 meant to change the Airport channel to either 1 or 11 (I've not had any experience with "channels.")

Yeah really! Whenever I call my ISP with a problem they're usually out the next day. I remember once the metal back on my modem would send a small jolt of electric through you when you would touch it with your bare hand. Called them, they tested it with one of those meters, didn't do it anymore! I felt kinda bad that they had to drive all the way out and there not be a problem, but it really had been doing it for several days before they showed up to fix it.

11. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

There's your problem right there.

12. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

I was referring to your wireless broadcast channel. If it's working find plugged in, then the router/modem are probably fine and it's isolated down to the router's wireless setting. Log into your router and alter the wireless channel broadcast, which will alleviate any interference from electronics running on the same channels.

13. benlangdon thread starter macrumors 65832

benlangdon

you mean like putting your serial number or ip address or w/e it is in the address bar right?

14. chill. macrumors 6502

the best way to debug is simple process of elimination. you've already done the first step and found that the problem is the wireless connection from the router

next:
    1. test your computer on another router (this will see if it is a network card problem)
    2. test another computer on your router (this will see if it is a router problem)

once you see where the problem is, just google something like "slow speeds netgear router mac" or something relevant

then update to the latest drivers/firmware, and start fiddling around with settings

if it still doesn't work, time to buy new hardware

15. benlangdon thread starter macrumors 65832

benlangdon

i know i was going to try that, but since my sis's computer is not here i would use my mom's windows comp,
    but that is very slow on the fastest day
    so ya, when i finish these 4 reports due wends im going to debug