Internet Nerfing Due To high Usage? How to argue it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by preguntonontrac, Jul 10, 2012.

1. preguntonontrac macrumors 6502

I am concerned since recently i saw many topics about this issue and i am finally facing it, so i want to make some specific questions about it...

There is 3 persons on the plan with iPhones and recently i received the 3gb warning and i think they finally nerf it way too much to a point youtube is not watchable. Used to get 5~ mbps results on the speed test now i have .32mps.

My first question is, this 3gb limit is for all users? Also me and my wife only youtube (a lot) and download free apps from the app store and this a little ridiculous we are on the end of the cycle and we got nerfed 2 days ago.

I am planning to call support to argue about it. Any recommendations?

Also i did a quick read of the contract we signed with a lawyer friend there is nothing about using over 3gb and we are on a unlimited plan.

2. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Why not ask your lawyer friend? You can argue all you want but carriers won't lift their policy because you call in to complain.

3. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

What your "lawyer friend" will find is a clause in your contract that gives your carrier the right to modify the contract you signed...so long as they give you ample warning and allow you to leave said contract without paying an early termination fee if you disagree to the new terms.

They modified and warned every customer of the changes last May and didn't begin throttling until October. If you didn't want to be throttled or didn't like the new terms, that way your chance to leave.

At this point, for all intents, there is nothing you can do.

4. preguntonontrac thread starter macrumors 6502

I actually discuss it with him quickly...

He told me i should call and since there is nothing stated on the contract in specific it can be solved by law but he told me is too much of a hassle for only that. My easiest option is to call and since my contract is over soon he told me they probably fix it for me if i argue about switching providers. He also said even if the contract was up is a great reason to cancel it without fees because even if they dont agree i can inform i want to cancel it and stop paying and they wont make any move on something it can be argued in a court.

Obsly i love att and i dont wanna switch that is why i am asking for information or any way to argue this. Any experiences maybe?

5. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

He took AT&T to small claims court and won... here's his site.
    http://taporc.com/

I don't know of any others who have won or even attempted it, but, seeing how it's now over a year since the new policy was announced, I'd wager that AT&T's case is only getting stronger by the day.

One thing I can say with a fair level of certainty is that AT&T will NOT stop the throttle before your next billing period and certainly won't offer to not throttle you in the future. They would gladly lose a customer before either happens - doubly so if you'll have to pay an ETF in the process.

6. preguntonontrac thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks interesting, although i am not planning on doing much lol. I will call att in the next days and only wanted to know what was the best way to argue it.

7. preguntonontrac thread starter macrumors 6502

I did the call they fixed up my issue since the warning was made 1 day before the nerfing also i argued the contract statement and the guy called a supervisor and in 30 mins all was running at 4.5 mps~

I also learn the nerfing is lifted each new month until you surpass the limit again. also he told me att was planning to raise the limit soon but it was a rumor.