Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vong

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 31, 2010
I have a question about internship.

Background: My first major was Computer Science and I've taken a few programming classes. (Basic C & Java). I did decent in both, but I talked to my adivsor and he suggested that I go into MIS, which I do. I've taken business programming which uses visual basics and I did great in this class, since it was easy compared to basic c and java.

I am looking for internships to apply for, and one caught my eye; database internship.

The role of the Database Intern is to help develop and maintain Microsoft SQL databases, SQL Server2000 and SQL Server2010. Some specific tasks include monitoring and setting up replication jobs between databases located on geographically disperse campuses, writing and troubleshooting database scripts, and overall general database management. The Intern will also help meet the programming needs. This responsibility will be met through the maintenance of current systems and development of new systems. Assume other duties as assigned.

My question is, I do not have any experience in SQL or anything database related, cept maybe MS Access. Should I apply to this internship? Or should I apply, and hopefully they will teach me from the ground up on what SQL is.

Thanks, :apple:

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
Apply for the internship your in college to learn.

Besides the internship will look good for the future and you may get a job at that company in the future.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
You have nothing to lose by applying, but they probably are looking for students who have at least had a database class in college and has some SQL knowledge.

I did 2 internships as a Java developer, but I already knew Java going in to it, the internship wasn't a chance for me to learn Java, it was a chance for me to gain experience applying what I already knew about Java in a real world environment, and while there was definitely some on the job learning (colleges don't teach advanced Java topics like JNDI, JMS, SOAP, web services, etc), it wasn't a place for me to learn Java from the ground up.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
If that is a field that you are interested in, go for it.
The whole purpose of an internship is to learn while helping a company to solve problems.
Ask your teachers about it, find a good tutor from your Academic Institution and prepare for the interview. Ask them about good reference book, etc.
Call in advance and get more details about the assignment, what are the expectations from the company and your future 'boss'.
Besides the knowledge you will learn many things that you cannot learn in a classroom or lab.

vong

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 31, 2010
Thanks for the feedback guys. The only thing that is holding me back is the fact that I have absolutely no idea how SQL works and afraid of getting fired/kicked out for not doing a good work. I do not plan on anything a database course until next semester. Do you guys still think I should apply?

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Thanks for the feedback guys. The only thing that is holding me back is the fact that I have absolutely no idea how SQL works and afraid of getting fired/kicked out for not doing a good work. I do not plan on anything a database course until next semester. Do you guys still think I should apply?

If they were to hire you with absolutely no SQL knowledge, then I wouldn't worry about this; just bust your butt learning.

ergdegdeg

Moderator emeritus
Oct 13, 2007
If you are honest about your skills to them and they still hire you, they won't kick you out if you don't know anything at the start.

If they don't hire you, then at least you have tried and maybe even get some interview experience.

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
If you are honest about your skills to them and they still hire you, they won't kick you out if you don't know anything at the start.

If they don't hire you, then at least you have tried and maybe even get some interview experience.

That's pretty good advice IMHO.

The with internships it's about learning and gaining practical experience within an area you've got a passion or interest in. If you know little about the area and have no interest in SQL or databases I can't see the ultimate purpose besides gaining some interview experience.

Though I'd apply and be completely honest with what you're after this many not be what you're looking for but it may lead to something good.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Definitely apply for the internship!

I've been trying all through my college but couldn't land one (It didn't help that I could get one the first three years since I was working overseas).

Now that I'm graduated I'm still trying for internships since recent grads can usually apple too. I'm in the same boat as you. I have experience in all kinds of things but can't find an internship that wants what I have : /

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.