Interracial Couple in Louisiana denied Marriage License

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Lord Blackadder, Oct 16, 2009.

1. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

That was the most ridiculous part...of course he neglected to mention whether he has separate "colored" and "white" bathrooms. :rolleyes:

2. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Is it really still that segregated down there?

3. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

4. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Ah, the classic Maude Flanders defense. :rolleyes:

People like this make me sick to my stomach.

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I wasn't aware we were still living in the 1950s.

6. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

It's actually much worse than you might think. I spent a significant amount of time working for the American Red Cross in the rural south, along the border or Louisiana and Texas, Alabama and parts of Mississippi.

There are open Klan towns down there, with churches decorated with Klan iconography. Law enforcement is so openly racist, it was stunning.

So this doesn't surprise me at all. The only thing that surprises me is that he's trying to make the case that he's not a racist.

7. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

What is required to become a justice of the peace in LA and what are the duties of the position?

I'm just wondering if he is a public official or if he is a private individual who has been granted a public license (and what the conditions of the license are). If all he can do is marry people and is authorized to perform marriages upon request and at his discretion - then this is nothing more than a bizzare backwards man in the middle of a generally backwards region of the country. If he is required to sign off on all valid marriage licenses, or otherwise is not entitled to his discretion, then this becomes an issue.

This poses an interesting question - clergy are granted that same authority to conduct marriages. If a priest refused to perform the ceremony for a gay couple in MA, what would the result be? That same couple would not have been denied any right - they could still get married at the courthouse, and having a ceremony performed by the official of your choosing isn't a protected right.

I suppose my base question is - what on earth is a a justice of the peace? I know it isn't what I imagine it is (a guy with a big gun that blows away the bad guys in a John Wayne movie). I think.

8. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

^^^ I don't know but the article says he is an elected public official.

9. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

This paragraph would be relevant if Bardwell wasn't an elected official. No one is saying that you should be able to choose any official you want, the outrage is that an elected official can't inject his own feelings like this. He was elected to do a job and he isn't doing it. Your hypothetical priest isn't elected to do a job by the general population. Said priest would reserve the right to not perform certain ceremonies, like gay marriages.

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Do clergymen approve and sign the actual marriage license? (honest question)

11. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

The JP claims:

To answer NT1440

http://www.hammondstar.com/articles/2009/10/16/top_stories/8847.txt

12. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

The JP can refuse to marry a couple, just like a Christian minister can refuse to marry 2 buddhists, or a Rabbi can refuse to marry 2 taoist. It depends on their convictions.

After all, as the JP noted, he does refer them to another JP that can marry them.

If this were true, there would be no republicans or democrats in congress. They each act according to what they believe.

13. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

14. djellison macrumors 68020

He should be struck off, excommunicated, whatever it is to be thrown out of any church duty. That's disgusting behaviour and is fundamentally, totally unacceptable.

15. VideoFreek macrumors 6502

VideoFreek

Why would that surprise you? This has been pretty much standard operating procedure for racists for a long, long time. The human capacity for rationalization and denial is breathtaking.

I grew up in the Northeast (NY State) mainly in the 70s, and though the South deservedly gets a bad rap for racism, I can assure you that there was PLENTY of racism in the Northeast in those days. There probably still is, though not anymore in the social circles in which I move. My parents were typical--they would always adamantly deny that they were racists, but in fact they were. Like this joker in LA, they always carefully differentiated the few black people they knew (whom they "politely" called "colored people") from all the rest (whom they called every racial slur in the book).

16. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Ignorance will allways be with the human race, lets face it there are people stupid enough to make judgements based on ones skin color,religion and sex. Humans are just stupid,biased and primitive. Its a common theme that replays itself over and over in human history of those that want to tell others how to live their life.

Our Country was founded on live and let live.

17. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

A JP is not a member of a religious organization they are GOVERNMENT officials and they have no (as in zero) right to discriminate people because of their race.

18. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I think racism has dropped quite a bit in the last 2 generations, really old people tend to be racist still from my observation, their kids maybe a bit, and the newest generation doesn't seem to care as much.

19. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

It surprises me because in the deep South, people are openly racist and don't feel a need to justify that racism.

The psychosocial "I'm not a racist, I have black friends" thing is another topic.

20. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Please, tell us more about people in the deep South.

21. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Sure. Maybe that was an overly broad brush or you didn't read the implicit "some" in front of the people, but as a whole, the deep South is much more racist and blatantly so than most of the rest of the US.

I'm familiar with the specific town where this took place and like I said, it doesn't surprise me in the least.

22. VideoFreek macrumors 6502

VideoFreek

I agree. I think it will slowly die out, after a few more generations. The really pernicious thing about racism, though, is how easily it passes from generation to generation. From personal experience, I can attest that when racist views are imprinted on young children, it can take them a LONG time to purge themselves of these views (even if they wish to do so). In my case, while I'd intellectually rejected these attitudes by the time I was in college, I must confess that it took quite a bit longer to erase the involuntary visceral reaction that I would have when, for example, I would encounter a group of African Americans approaching on the street, or when I'd see an interracial couple. Happily, those days are long behind me now.

23. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

I find the level of racism amongst humans to be highest in areas that contain diverse groupings of racial/ethnic populations.

In areas where everyone looks the same, no one is obviously racist because race is a non-issue. Dig deeper and you'll find other things that humans create to insure a community divide.