Interracial marriage should be illegal: 46% of Mississippi Republicans in new poll

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by likemyorbs, Apr 10, 2011.

1. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

3. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

I'm hoping they don't know what interracial means.

Rednecks can be pretty dumb.

4. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Ask old, conservative Deep South residents and what else do you expect. Luckily, there are younger, less conservative residents of Mississippi.

5. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

While this is bad, the country as a whole wasn't that great with this issue either. 1991 was the first year a majority of Americans approved of interracial marriage, 24 years after the Supreme Court struck down the banning of those marriages.

Like same-sex marriage, this issue is divided entirely on generational lines.

6. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

7. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

I wonder how poor self-professed democrats would poll if asked the same question.

8. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

It may be more of a southern thing. Interracial marriage only became legal in Mississippi in 1967 after they were forced.

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'll bet I can flip the tenor of this thread 180º with this simple thought ...

I think this poll confirms that we really don't live yet in a color-blind society and indicates why Affirmative Action is still a valuable program.

Initiating thread mood-swing in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ...

10. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

yeah my though is the same as well.
    You have deep south and on top of that the survey seem to have a much higher than average age of the people who respond.

Lets you have it in the south,
    Ask conservatives.
    Ask mainly older people.

WHAT THE **** do you expect your answer to be?
    Sorry but people are reading way to much into this and there are major issues with the survey.
    I will flat out say it older people on both sides (dem or republican) tend to be much greater against interracial marriages than younger people. Simple as that.

11. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

What's the deal with Mississippi anyway?

12. puma1552 macrumors 601

As someone in an interracial marriage (Caucasian/Japanese), it truly saddens me that there are people that would even so much as glance at us in the grocery store.

At least my thinking has moved beyond that of a half-century ago.

It's no surprise it's republicans, either.

13. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Still whistling Dixie, I suppose.

14. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

But it's a chance to have a laugh at how backward Mississippi, or anyone not enlightened enough to move to a blue state, is. So it's OK.

15. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

I wouldn't worry about it. My experience growing up in the South is that effectively "race" there means black/white, and everything else doesn't generate much fuss. Even at that what you get is mostly people who accept the legal principle but, particularly with increasing age, express discomfort at the idea.

Even as the hispanic population increases in the South and as racists stir up more and more anti-hispanic hatred in the mainstream media, I have not heard of a huge push against white/hispanic pairing, and frankly as for white/asian pairings, I don't think anybody who wasn't alive during World War II cares.

16. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

17. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

I wonder how many interracial marriages there are in the states.

It seems like it would be pretty hard to find any "pure-breads" here (unless we are just going on skin color).

18. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

The headline and article skews the actual results. Press is only out there to sensationalize and sell.

Link

19. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

"hardcore" just seems like an adjective they are using to describe those polled. Did they do something to screen for firm GOP members? Or are they just calling the people they polled 'hardcore republicans"

Always treat these kind of polls with suspect. I'm sure there is a higher percentage of people who don't support interracial marriage then there should be, but the actual percent may be different.

400 people for the whole state?(With a population of 2,951,996) That hardly seems like a good representation of the whole state. Plus where did the come from? All in the same town? Same county? Or did they pull a small amount of people across the state.

I'm not totally buy this regardless of how great the headline is or the eagerness to bash the GOP.

20. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

This guy was hardcore on this subject too. Remember? [​IMG]

21. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

Here[PDF] is the original paper/poll.

Statistically it is sound. Sadly.

What is even more surprising? Depending on the candidate a sections backs, the numbers are higher.

22. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Only 68% of the respondents were aged 46 or over. That leaves a fair number of younger respondents against interracial marriage too. What do they think of gay interracial marriage, I wonder?

23. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

24. clientsiman macrumors 6502

clientsiman

I believe that this must be a well organised trolling attempt from the voters.
    If it is real then the US really needs to re-examine her education system.

25. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Given the locale, a question on incestuous marriage would have some interesting responses as well.