Interview with Clint Eastwood

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Plutonius, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

A pretty good interview with Clint Eastwood here.

One of my favorite answers was his answer on multiple marriages.

ESQ: Collecting wives is an expensive hobby.

CE: Yeah, cut out the middleman. Just find somebody you hate and buy 'em a house.

2. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

The guy lost a lot of respect from everyone when they saw that farce of an 'interview' with an empty chair.

He might start to get some of it back, pending on how he does with his next movie, which is about Sully.

BL.

3. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Clint got all due respect back and then some with "American Sniper."

4. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 604

Plutonius

He talks about the chair interview in this interview. He says why he did it but also said it was his biggest regret.

5. Savor Suspended

Savor

[​IMG]

Clint wants to keep his guns similar to if Charleston Heston was still alive and would love to keep his and hunt for Mooselims. Clint also portrayed a racist in Gran Torino although I found him hilarious and the ending was noble. I experienced being in a shooting range once at age 16. I was actually a very good shot with a Glock 22.

That's what I like about Sarah Palin even though I do believe in more gun control. She knows how to handle weapons if we ever have had a zombie outbreak. Kill without any hesitation. None of that Call of Duty or Halo **** that these kids do. Man up, kids. I bet most people never fired a gun in their lives. The only shooting people do comes from cameras on their phones.

People ridicule and laugh at Sarah all the time, but wait when s**t hits the fan and she is the only woman around who knows how to use a gun? Laughing at her when she will have the last laugh. If she wasn't such a ditz in politics, Sarah would be the ultimate dream girl. Lara Croft...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But I do agree with Eastwood saying this is a p***y generation. When black people make fun of white people, it is okay. When white people say anything negative about blacks, it is racist. When Manny Pacquiao says marriage should between a man and woman, some call him a homophobe! Everyone is so sensitive.

I am not about war but just in case of attack, I wished we had candidates that actually served in the war or personally killed someone like Andrew Jackson and a (hangman) Grover Cleveland. What happened to real men like that? Right on, Clint, it's a p***y generation we live in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

7. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Lay off the crank, dude.

8. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Um, yes.

But there are two things to note about those who have served in the military seeking public office.

The first is that some have been very poor political leaders; you need somewhat different skills to bring your cabinet, party and parliament (and these days, the public) with you when implementing public policy, especially changes in public policy.

Secondly, they do tend to have a healthy respect for - rather than appetite for - war, and what it does. Consequently, their public posture tends to be a lot less belligerent than some who have never served and never experienced battle or combat for whom it may be a fantasy. Moreover, when they do go to war, they face down their own hawks, and their preference tends to be for conflicts where there are clear and achievable military and political aims and exceedingly limited time frames.

9. Limey77 macrumors regular

This was one of the single worst and most embarrassing interviews given in support of Trump. Poor Clint came off looking like a ****ing moron, he plagiarised the "buy them a house" comment. He backed Trump's racism and misogyny and even worse he managed to give a backhanded insult to all women (and those that agree) by claiming this is a "***** culture". So we're all meant to accept and agree that having a ***** makes you weak and ineffective and somehow not American???

Really, you liked this interview? Really? You actually liked this interview and chose to post how great it was?? Wow!!

Well that gives us all a great insight into you and your character (and it ain't ****ing good), but you have managed to lower yourself in my esteem. I'll make sure to remember this post in any future threads you start as its disgusting.

10. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I don't think people ever really changed their respect for Eastwood's abilities as a filmmaker and actor.

But his abilities, and wisdom, as a commentator on public policy and politics have been somewhat erratic of late.

To begin with, contrary to many internet memes and gun enthusiast myths, Eastwood has spoken in generally favorable terms about gun control. He has spoken out in favor of such issues as gay marriage. He has remained steadfastly anti-war since returning from service in Korea. He even spoke fairly positively about President Obama early in his term. Eastwood also appeared in a commercial for Chrysler that aired shortly after the Obama-led automobile industry rescue plan took effect. Which is why, perhaps, many people were more than a little disappointed that Eastwood should have chosen such a personal attack on Obama. The fact that the speech was rambling, bordering on incoherent, simply added to that.

I think many, many people assume that lines spoken in Clint Eastwood movies represent his personal political philosophies. They make handy clips to insert into internet debates, without actually having to do much thinking.

I certainly don't think Eastwood make American Sniper as an endorsement of the decision to invade Iraq. A lot of people may believe that. They may have seen a patriotic pep rally. I saw a tragedy that ends when a man, broken in soul and spirit by war, is shot by a fellow veteran he was trying to help.

11. lowendlinux, Aug 4, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2016

lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Eisenhauer and Kennedy..

Most of our civilian leaders seem to have a much bigger appetite for war

12. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

The one with the fake baby? Yeah, it was an okay movie.

13. Scepticalscribe, Aug 4, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2016

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Very good - and balanced - post.

I read the interview and shrugged.

The fact that I quite like Clint Eastwood as an actor, (yes, I have an unseemly love affair with spaghetti westerns) and hugely admire him as a director, - some of his movies such as The Outlaw Josey Wales, and Unforgiven, - are simply iconic classics - does not in any way mean that I take his political opinions, stances or views seriously. And so, I don't.

Instead, I will read with interest when Clint Eastwood speaks of movies, and movie making; he has a refreshing lack of ego, unusual in that trade and profession.

Actually, one of the things I like about him as a director - especially if he is appearing in the movie himself - is how generous and supportive he is to his co-stars; he is content to let them shine, knowing that this - in turn - enhances the movie hugely.

Agreed, but not just them.

Both Dennis Healey and Roy Jenkins had served in the the Second World War; more recently, in the UK, I like that there are a fw MPs on all sides who have served (here, I am thinking of Dan Jarvis for Labour, and Tom Tugendhat - whose uncle was an EU Commissioner - for the Conservatives). Such MPs tend to be moderate, and informed, and - very rarely - insanely bellicose.

14. Plutonius, Aug 4, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2016

Plutonius thread starter macrumors 604

Plutonius

I'm heartbroken :). It can't be healthy to be that wound up. I'm sure there are prescriptions you could take to calm down.

Only part of it was political which is why I posted it in PRSI. Agree or disagree with Clint, the interview came off as him being very honest on how he felt about his movies, life, and politics. As far as Trump, Clint agrees with some things and disagrees with others but said he would not endorse Trump (but that he would probably vote for him since he dislikes Hillary).

15. AsherN macrumors 6502

I value Eastwood's political commentary as much as any celebrity's. Just because you are a talented artist does not mean we need to give a crap about your opinion.

16. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

I'm glad when celebrities voice their opinions on politics, it let's me know whose movies I should no longer see.

17. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Sorry that you're missing so many good movies.

18. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

So...Scott Baio>Clint Eastwood>Antonio Sabato, Jr.

19. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Actually not since most are third rate actors.

20. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Has nothing to do with actors, but your comment reminded me of an old joke that says you should never talk to your doctor about politics, or you'll end up wondering how he gets through the day without killing anybody.

21. Savor Suspended

Savor

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I idolized Ronald Reagan as a child like Alex Keaton on Family Ties and my Stepdad and Mom who reside in Richard Nixon's birthplace consider themselves Republicans. I live in a conversative country now so my Republican side is coming out in this thread...

[​IMG]

Listen to Dirty Harry. This is a guy who survived a 1951 plane crash and swam three miles to safety. Almost JFK style except their boat sank. Clint is a bad***. I enjoy his cowboy movies. I liked In The Line Of Fire and Gran Torino. I like his persona. I can understand if he goes for Trump to be able to carry his guns and Trump going anti-PC. My buddies and I used to say "f*g" to clown on each other. Now it has become a homophobic slur! So much double standards and hypocrisy anyway from this kiss-*** generation.

[​IMG]

There's this quote in Don't Tell Mom The Babysitter's Dead (1991). There were these two dudes getting stoned and one of them asked, "Do you know who's so underrated? Velma." That's Sarah Palin to me. If only she had the brain of Hillary (or Velma), she'd be a bad*** politician. Considering she is quite inept with national policies and capitalism, she probably isn't morally corrupt as Trump and Hillary. Except the time she went rogue on McCain and acted like a diva with her wardrobe.

Linda Cardellini is such a hot Velma!
    [​IMG]

Damn you, Tina Fey and SNL! I still enjoy Tina Fey but she destroyed Sarah. Then we all fell for no military and little political experience, Obama. Thinking if we vote for a (half) black guy, it will be "cool" and change happens. And we have more paper shuffling, office workers like Trump and Hillary. We now live in a world where making a last second shot in the NBA will have Skip Bayless call you an assassin or killer. LOL! Like putting a ball through a hoop is equal to actually killing a person or animal!

I fired two guns when I was 16 at the shooting range living in Colorado Springs which had an Army and Airforce base. My real Dad enjoyed owning handguns and even hung a crossbow on the wall. I was a better marksman with the Glock than Ruger he owned. Better marksman than my 25-year old housemate who we all laughed at because it was my first and only time at 16 and I was a better marksman. I have two uncles here who have a license to carry a gun in most public places. I'm more lover than fighter, but I do admire people who do outdoorsy stuff and don't mind getting their hands dirty.

If you were trapped in a deserted island and had to choose between Sarah or Hillary, who would you pick? Sarah for me. She's like the female version of John Locke in LOST. We will kill animals, cook it, and then eat it together. I am actually a huge animal wildlife lover as a child, but humans are higher in the ecosystem. You either kill or be killed. Survival the fittest. We eat dead animals all the time but we are afraid to watch them get killed?

If Andrew Zimmern eats bizarre foods like bull penis in China, nobody cares. If Sarah kills animals, liberals are outraged! Screw, PETA. Sarah is a survivor. Not a damsel in distress good at filing her nails or checking Facebook all day like most young American women who can't cook worth a damn. Sarah seems like she would be the great-great granddaughter of Teddy Roosevelt or female reincarnation of him without the photographic memory and higher IQ.

Kim Kardashian = just a poseur
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

^^ spot on in all accounts.

23. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Except Lara Croft has some brains on her.

Just because Palin can kill a moose doesn't mean she is fit for office. She is the reason McCain lost the election.

24. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

I think that point was covered in the reply from Savor I quoted thus "all accounts"

25. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I missed that part "If she wasn't such a ditz in politics, Sarah would be the ultimate dream girl."

:D