Introducing Bob Barr, Libertarian runner, 2008 - Is He McCain's Ralph Nadar of 2000?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Cleverboy, May 13, 2008.

1. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2008/05/13/libertarian_a_potential_spoiler_for_mccain/
    Uh, oh... this could be PAINFUL. GOP is already fractured. I think I'll donate some money to this fine man. Let me know what I can do for you, Mr. Barr.

http://www.bobbarr2008.com/
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEV5Zn57HeI

~ CB

2. DZ/015 macrumors 6502a

DZ/015

His candidacy will ensure that Obama will be president in the coming election. He will torpedo McCain, just as Perot killed Bush and Dole, and Nader pulled the rug out from Gore and Kerry.

<sarcasm>Too bad for the GOP.</sarcasm>
    Now the Dems will be the ones that get blamed for further flushing our economy down the drain.

3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Shoot. Springer's gone from the radio, Franken's running for the Senate...

We need a good liberal talk show host to work with here.

You know. Someone who can launch Operation Chaos II. :D

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

5. MacHipster macrumors 6502

I don't think he'll make much impact, honestly. Perot was the right man at the right time in 1992. In 1996, Dole didn't have a chance, so Perot wasn't much of a spoiler. I don't believe that Nader was much of a spoiler either. We forget that Buchanan was running as well and the butterfly ballots were an issue. My opinion, of course.

6. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

yes he is. and thank god. because we got ralph nadered into 8 years of bush. and now its payback time!!!!! he is more conservative than mccain so hopefully the diehard McCainiacs will go for McCain but the super right wingers who dont think McCain is all that will go for Barr.
    McCain will get 30%, Barr will get 15%, Nader will get 5% and Clintama/Oblinton will get 50%!

7. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

While this development certainly maximizes the potential for what my opinion of the best-case scenario is, it is still creating a sub-optimal outcome. At least in many other multi-party systems there is a way to override or topple a non-majority government. In your system, it just erodes the will of the people.

8. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Dole never had a chance and Kerry was hurt more by himself than Nader.

What if things get better?

I doubt this will do much unless he really gets going and the GOP really becomes disenfranchised with McCain. Well, more so. And don't dislike Obama enough to vote against him. I wonder if Ron Paul will be joining him. I guess Huckabee as VP to McCain would bring in the evangelicals, so that could help him, but he's barely ahead now when he's not even being talked about and people still see him a maverick, so he could either try to lean more towards the GOP and lose, or try to lean more towards the middle and risk losing those more on the far right who could go to this guy or just not vote. Or this guy won't get many votes and McCain will walk right into the WH because our media is still talking about Wright and ignoring everything McCain does.

9. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I'll probably vote for Barr since there is no good choice from a major party.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

And Barr is a good choice?

11. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I would consider being for smaller government, and voting against our two party system to be a good choice.