Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XaPHER

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2010
The dashboard itself exists within the dock's process who, when the dashboard is in use and populated with widgets, spawns a separate process "DashBoardClient" that handles any running widget. Thus the dock is responsible for reading the dashboard configuration at launch-time (and wether to run it or not).

@Raging Dufus xbench is pretty okay for reference but unreliable for results comparison cause it's not noise-proof at all. Literally anything can interfere in a significant manner with the tests. Though FWIW it's a fast benchmark.

Last edited:

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
TenFourTrim has been updated to version 1.1.

This version:

- Leaves Dashboard alone

- Fixes Dashboard font problem

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I have unfortunately had to uninstall this script from my G3 server. It seems to have made it unstable to the point where I was forcing a restart every day.

After running the uninstaller the G3 hasn't had any issues staying up.

Curiously though…I deleted everything in the trash, so I am unsure if what was in there was supposed to remain for the uninstall script. The terminal command had a lot of 'File does not exist' mentions, so it makes me wonder.

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
I have unfortunately had to uninstall this script from my G3 server. It seems to have made it unstable to the point where I was forcing a restart every day.

After running the uninstaller the G3 hasn't had any issues staying up.

Curiously though…I deleted everything in the trash, so I am unsure if what was in there was supposed to remain for the uninstall script. The terminal command had a lot of 'File does not exist' mentions, so it makes me wonder.

What kind of instability?

Maybe it's not a good choice for Tiger Server after all.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
What kind of instability?

Maybe it's not a good choice for Tiger Server after all.
I cannot say exactly because the Mac is headless. But attached shares would drop from connected Macs and attempts to connect via ScreenSharing would fail.

That indicates that either the Mac locked up or network sharing stopped. Either way it meant the server was unavailable and it forced me to use the rest button on the front of the Mac once per day for the three or four days I had this installed.

Jubadub

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2017
Just a random tip that may be or may be not relevant for TFT's future versions: I didn't check the script, but it may be relevant to keep the differences between Tiger PPC, Tiger Intel, Server Tiger PPC and Server Tiger Universal in mind (assuming that wasn't done yet). I have no idea if it's relevant for TFT, but what I do know is that minor differences in system behavior are present among all these. For example, our ever-loved FinderPop app works flawlessly on PPC machines with Tiger PPC, Server Tiger PPC, but not Server Tiger Universal, for reasons I don't know. I literally tested every single FinderPop version in existence, betas included, but same result.

Reactions: JoSch and z970

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
Aurora.jpg

= Now In Development =

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
Update -

"TenFiveTrim" has evolved into something much greater.

Speed is no longer its only strength.

Last edited:
Reactions: dextructor

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
TenFourTrim has been updated to version 1.2.

- Removes less components to make for a safer, less risky experience.

- Added TenFourTrim Extreme to retain the original's functionality.

- Several tweaks have been made for a more consistent and reliable process.

im_to_hyper

macrumors 65816
Aug 25, 2004
Pasadena, California, USA
Hey man! Have you been on the OS X Hackers Discord / are you part of that group?

It’s mostly for Intel Macs but the folks behind MacPostFactor as well as DOSDude1 are on there.

A few times I’ve brought up legacy hacking but it’s great to see you actually doing some productive stuff!! xD

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
QT webkit modified from smtube's minimal browser interface? ;)

It's far simpler, though definitely modified. Certainly, nobody's done it before.

Plus, it needs to work on G3s. Last time I tried, SMTube was not happy on a G3. (architecture error)

Options are good to have. Maybe this modified WebKit interface is something you could do? ;)

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Hmmm... maybe. Though i'm fine with quicktime-enabler in iceweasel for 10.4 YT playback and/or the download and play via AF and/or smtube. That's already 3 ways, and you're making a 4th, and don't forget mpsyt, foxbox, etc. I think tiger is covered for awhile. :)

Cheers

Reactions: z970

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
QuickTime Enabler rarely works, though. Arctic Fox for 10.4 is unfinished (and at times buggy), and SMTube is a non-negotiable for G3s.

Don't forget that this QT WebKit can be doubly used as a lightweight minimal browser, independent from the outdated system WebKit.

I think that's a good idea, this new WebKit. It'll benefit Leopard too. :)

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Well... just for kicks here's a work-a-round if you are able to install/use smtube on 10.4. Just open the smtube browser, change url to http://m.youtube.com, find a video, click it, select HQ or not (no = 3gp playback, HQ = 360p), then right click on video image and copy URL. Paste it in to QuickTime or YewTubePPC. Instant video w/out the need for mplayer. :)

smtube-browser-qtime.png

Reactions: G4fanboy and z970

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Got it from here a few months back. It doesn't seem to work w/mplayer anymore, but works fine for getting streaming links.

Cheers

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Well... just for kicks here's a work-a-round if you are able to install/use smtube on 10.4. Just open the smtube browser, change url to http://m.youtube.com, find a video, click it, select HQ or not (no = 3gp playback, HQ = 360p), then right click on video image and copy URL. Paste it in to QuickTime or YewTubePPC. Instant video w/out the need for mplayer. :)

View attachment 863756

May I ask where you got these icons from? I like them :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.