Introducing the iPhone 6 ...by Samsung

Status
Not open for further replies.

Young Turk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 9, 2002
That's how it felt. Cheap, plasticky, soul-less. Just another gadget. My 5s by comparison feels meticulously sculpted, premium.

Don't mean to offend, that's my take.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Maybe the build quality is different in certain batches because the one I held yesterday made my 5s feel like a toy. Had a really premium feel to it.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
That's how it felt. Cheap, plasticky, soul-less. Just another gadget. My 5s by comparison feels meticulously sculpted, premium.

OMG there it is again. Soul less. I don't think that means what you think it means. Its a PHONE. They are all soul less. When you start ascribing a soul (or lack thereof) to an inanimate object, it's time for meds.

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
Funny enough, my gf said the same thing about it being more samsungish. She does make a point. The 5/5s were freakin gorgeous and felt solid. Still love my 6+ though!

HippieMagic

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2011
Mine feels like aluminum and glass to me... Build quality is exactly the same as my 5. Feels solid, no give, no rattle(except a very slight camera one). Overall it is what I expected it to be.

Young Turk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 9, 2002
Mine feels like aluminum and glass to me... Build quality is exactly the same as my 5. Feels solid, no give, no rattle(except a very slight camera one). Overall it is what I expected it to be.
The lightness is probably why it feels plasticky to me. It is incredibly light, I'll give you that.

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
I think the OP's idea is that there is no girth to the phone. It is so thin that it doesn't have the beefy feel of past models, especially with the curvy "edges".

But OP. When you start a thread with ...by Samsung, that is trolling on a MacRumors board.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
I think the OP's idea is that there is no girth to the phone. It is so thin that it doesn't have the beefy feel of past models, especially with the curvy "edges".

But OP. When you start a thread with ...by Samsung, that is trolling on a MacRumors board.
And if after 12 years here he hasn't figured that out, then he has other issues. Troll is the least of them.

briankeith513

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2011
Atlanta, GA

"cheap, plasticky"? I don't like to call another poster's post dumb, but even if you didn't like the design, one thing that is the most obvious of all of the iPhones, iPads, and MacBooks, is that they have a premium look and feel...using, metal, aluminum, glass, etc.

Young Turk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 9, 2002

Trolling? No. Provocative? Yes, guilty as charged. It's just I exoected more from Apple. I hope Apple doesn't make us buy the more upmarket, expensive versions of the watch to get that premium feel.

thefredelement

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2012
New York
I was freaking out trying to get a 6+ from TMo (finally shipped today) - even switched carriers (AT&T SIMs coming this week), went to the Apple store today to pickup a 6 or 6+ depending upon what felt better.

I skipped ahead of the line and walked in the store and started playing around and I hate it but I kind of agree with the op. It won't stop me from getting one eventually but my foot is off the gas for now, I don't care when I get one and I'm sending the TMobile one back.

When Jobs introduced the 4 he said it felt like an old Leica camera, the 4/4s/5/5s all have this type of quality product feeling when you hold it, for me, the 6 or 6+ didn't have it.

It's almost akin to how the iPad Air has thinner glass and the same style back as the mini, it just didn't feel as 'premium' to me as the earlier iPads (esp the 3 and 4 - maybe I just like heavier things? idk )

I know I'll get one, one day, but the light weight feel and really thin metal really doesn't lend itself to a premium feeling. It does feel more like a Samsung style product. The quality building materials are so thin your fingers don't get that solid good response like they do from an earlier version iPhone.

I also really don't like the lines, where the glass meets the body - the 5s has these great lines around and the glass feels seated in there, on the 6 and 6+ to me the glass looked a little alien with how it's situated in the chassis.

I hate the bolded text that's part of iOS on those phones, it looks clunky. However the screen on the 5.5 is literally AMAZING. I played some videos and was floored at the detail.

Of the two that were in front of me the 4.7 seemed to have brighter and clearer whites and the colors seemed to pop a little bit more, not like the 5.5 is a slouch, it's just not as BAM, both were at full brightness.

I ended up just walking away, the line was manageable but just not for me today.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Trolling? No. Provocative? Yes, guilty as charged. It's just I exoected more from Apple. I hope Apple doesn't make us buy the more upmarket, expensive versions of the watch to get that premium feel.
You realize the line between "provocative" and "trolling" is a very fine one, and in this particular case...

/threadfail

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
The lightness is probably why it feels plasticky to me. It is incredibly light, I'll give you that.
Yes, this is the feeling you're noticing. It's strangely light for a mixture of glass and metal. It's not weird to want something premium to feel substantial, but most people are attracted to the utility of a lighter device. That's why you're experiencing some resistance from the users here.

Young Turk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 9, 2002
I was freaking out trying to get a 6+ from TMo (finally shipped today) - even switched carriers (AT&T SIMs coming this week), went to the Apple store today to pickup a 6 or 6+ depending upon what felt better.

I skipped ahead of the line and walked in the store and started playing around and I hate it but I kind of agree with the op. It won't stop me from getting one eventually but my foot is off the gas for now, I don't care when I get one and I'm sending the TMobile one back.

When Jobs introduced the 4 he said it felt like an old Leica camera, the 4/4s/5/5s all have this type of quality product feeling when you hold it, for me, the 6 or 6+ didn't have it.

It's almost akin to how the iPad Air has thinner glass and the same style back as the mini, it just didn't feel as 'premium' to me as the earlier iPads (esp the 3 and 4 - maybe I just like heavier things? idk )

I know I'll get one, one day, but the light weight feel and really thin metal really doesn't lend itself to a premium feeling. It does feel more like a Samsung style product. The quality building materials are so thin your fingers don't get that solid good response like they do from an earlier version iPhone.

I also really don't like the lines, where the glass meets the body - the 5s has these great lines around and the glass feels seated in there, on the 6 and 6+ to me the glass looked a little alien with how it's situated in the chassis.

I hate the bolded text that's part of iOS on those phones, it looks clunky. However the screen on the 5.5 is literally AMAZING. I played some videos and was floored at the detail.

Of the two that were in front of me the 4.7 seemed to have brighter and clearer whites and the colors seemed to pop a little bit more, not like the 5.5 is a slouch, it's just not as BAM, both were at full brightness.

I ended up just walking away, the line was manageable but just not for me today.
You nailed it. But according to some, you and I both are heretics. Ironic isn't it, that some here have become the very mindless conformists the '1984' ad railed against. Think Different. Anyone?

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
I think it feels amazing. Solid, gorgeous, brilliant screen... None of the oversaturation of the Samsung world. The home button feels great and nothing feels plasticky. The rounded edge of the bezel is stunning.

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
You've been here long enough to know that chumming the waters will get bites.

I will admit, I was putting on a Pelican case for my 6+, and an Icipio case for my 6, and they take a little force to install/remove. There was a little nervous moment when I felt I was putting too much pressure on the phone getting it in there. But, it's a well built phone and nothing to worry about after 4 times doing so.

Sugadaddy

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2010
Build quality is better than every other phone being sold. The "cheap" feeling is due to it being lighter. People said the same thing going from iPhone 4 to 5, iPad 4 to iPad Air, etc.

Then you use it for a while and realize it's better than the old model.

Status
Not open for further replies.