Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

617media

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2010
picture1tk.png

I attached a picture of my disk utility problem above. I got a 13" Unibody Macbook Pro recently, bought a Hitachi 500GB 7200rpm travelstar, took out the 2gb of stock ram, installed 4GB of crucial.

Then cloned my old macbooks drive to the new one. Installed. Everything seemed to go flawlessly. The drive is very quiet,very big, seems pretty fast etcc.

However it's been about a week of use and today for the first time I started noticing some issues. I turned it on again and it went to the flashing ? inside a folder, making me restart holding the option key, selecting the Hitachi 500gb to boot from. Weird, because I had 100% set it for the selected boot drive and didn't do that before.

Anyways it takes an extra long time to load up, finally back into the desktop. Double check to make sure the Hitachi is selected again as the designated boot up.

Everything seems fine again except I keep getting the beach ball way too often and ****ing annoying crashing of apps wayyy more than it should be. Almost feel like I shouldn't of sold my black macbook for this because I never had any problems like this.

So then to cut to the chase, I go to disk utility to see if anything is up. As you can see in the picture it gives me a red error. Does anyone have an idea of what's up? I backed everyone on time machine quick since I was getting sketched, but I just installed this drive and can't afford to deal with computer problems.

Is there a way to "repair" the drive and fix this supposed volume index problem? Even though it doesn't give me the option there... Once again, I used clone copy to clone the old drive to this one. Seemed to make an absolutely perfect clone. So I don't know why it is doing this.

Sorry for writing so much but any input would be greatly appreciated.

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
To quote Preditor, **** happens. You cannot repair the drive while you are booted up from it. If you have an external HD (or the OS install DVD) use that to boot from and run Disk Utility on the bad drive. If it works, you are in the clear. If the damage is bad, you may have to call in the big guys, I recommend Disk Warrior, as it has saved my bacon several times. Well worth the purchase price I beileve. Run it from the DVD and repair (replace) the directory of the bad disk. You can also serch for files with damaged resource forks, etc. But the directory repair is the first priority.
As to why the +*+*+ happened, I have no idea. Is the old disk you cloned from OK? Probably should check it.
If this happens repeatedly, you either have a bad HD, a bad connection (check the cable?), or a bad OS installation.
I have noticed SL is more sensitive to "cloning" and a clean install is probably the best way to install the OS, followed by a data and preference migration. But that is my personal experience, and it may be applicable to everyone.

617media

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2010
To quote Preditor, **** happens. You cannot repair the drive while you are booted up from it. If you have an external HD (or the OS install DVD) use that to boot from and run Disk Utility on the bad drive. If it works, you are in the clear. If the damage is bad, you may have to call in the big guys, I recommend Disk Warrior, as it has saved my bacon several times. Well worth the purchase price I beileve. Run it from the DVD and repair (replace) the directory of the bad disk. You can also serch for files with damaged resource forks, etc. But the directory repair is the first priority.
As to why the +*+*+ happened, I have no idea. Is the old disk you cloned from OK? Probably should check it.
If this happens repeatedly, you either have a bad HD, a bad connection (check the cable?), or a bad OS installation.
I have noticed SL is more sensitive to "cloning" and a clean install is probably the best way to install the OS, followed by a data and preference migration. But that is my personal experience, and it may be applicable to everyone.

Word so you are saying it could possibly be because I just directly cloned the drive over to the new one, without installing any OS or anything?

Would upgrading to Snow Leopard maybe help? I'll check the original drive but I'm assuming it is okay because I still use that computer all the time, including today and it doesn't have the freezing problem.

I feel like if I could just repair the index problem everything would be fine? Because I have been using the new MBP with the Hitachi I installed almost all day, everyday since I have installed it and today. I feel like if it were a bad drive, it would of done this right away.

thanks dude. Keep them coming, the more info on this the better I am knowledgeable with this **** but not the best at mac system troubleshooting yet.

---

wait 1 other thing, just to be clear. So since I can't repair while I am booted from it, what exactly should I do?

Are you saying I should open up my MBP again, put it in an external enclosure, then connect it to my original macbook, have it come up as a connected external drive, open up boot utility and run repair on it from the old computer, then install it back into the MBP and boot again?

Is there a way to do it without the pain of opening the **** up again? What about connecting it directly to the black macbook through firewire and then would I boot holding "T" on the new MBP with the index problem drive, or startup the old MBP holding "T", doing the same thing as using the external enclosure?

godamn it so many questions to answer

I just have to ship the old macbook black out like tomorrow to someone I sold it to, and can't do that until this one is completely stable.

weak.... bump ?

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Or (if you cannot be bothered with the OS X disk and Disk Utility**) just start your Mac in single user mode (hold down command-s while booting) and run fsck (full instruction with path and flag when in single user mode, from memory it's '/sbin/fsck -fy' or something).

When the fsck has run (multiple times) to report no further errors, simply type 'reboot' to - well - reboot.

** Note that Apple recommends using Disk Utility.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.