Invest a few hundred into MBP or sell it for an iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by map1978, Mar 14, 2012.

1. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

I think I know the answer, but wanted to get some input from others who might have done the same...

Should I invest money into my 2008 MBP (which needs a new battery and more RAM), buy a monitor to mirror on a bigger widescreen, and wireless keyboard and mouse. It would be a few hundred for sure.

Or should I sell the MBP, use the money I was gonna invest into the MBP, and just get an low end iMac.

Only major RAM hungry app I use is Lightroom 3

I also have an iPad coming this Friday to satisfy my surfing, email, and apps needs for travel/lounging around purposes.

Just looking for some input from MBP to iMac converters

Thanks for any helpful tips

2. martinm0 macrumors 6502a

I vote for iMac. I have the lowend 2.5 i5 and its a great machine. If you can get fair money for yours used, I say sell it. That's one of hte best things about macs (resale value).

3. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

When I originally switched to a Mac, I was undecided between an iMac or a Macbook Pro with external display. I went iMac and never regretted it.

More recently I got a unibody Macbook (effectively the 13" Pro before they put a Firewire port on it) for a project where I thought I was going to be mobile a lot. I ended up not using it much, but when my iMac was in for repair, it saw service in a laptop / display configuration. It doesn't work anywhere as well as a desktop configuration.

If you are not going to be mobile a lot, go with the iMac.

4. Spike88, Mar 14, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2012

Spike88 macrumors 6502a

It all depends....

My SIL has the iPad and its great for viewing many things. But, its terrible for typing. And, it doesn't have a USB port (for viewing USB stick items such as movies and pictures). For some things while taveling, she still uses a portable. The iPad didn't satisfy ALL her mobile needs.

Suggest getting your new iPad 2 (like you plan to) and use it for minimum 2 months. Discover what you like and don't like about it. If you find that it has gaps and you still need a portable system, then get a portable system.

I keep hearing the new MacBook Pro with internal SSD (with optional external HDD) is amazing. SSD is quick, it runs cool and its still portable. And if needed, one can connect external 24" monitor, large size keyboard and external mouse as well.

For me, Portable (like now - sitting on my sofa, watching TV and typing away) is my normal computing lifestyle. For typical home usage tasks (with NO games), I will never own another fixed postion desktop again. But, that's a topic for a different post.

Hope this helps..

5. map1978 thread starter macrumors 68020

map1978

Thanks to you 3 for giving me some helpful input

Spike you make some good points...I never had problem typing on an ipad and when I had it (sold the one I had for the new one) I found myself using that all the time and the MBP would just stay sleeping. Prob the main reason going to the iMac.

Tough decision though still :confused:

Any other input is appreciated, thanks