Investigation of Yemen raid

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by VulchR, Feb 27, 2017.

1. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

The Yemen raid cost the life of a Navy Seal and 20+ civilians, including children. Yet Trump and his administration called the raid a success. Now the father of the dead soldier is calling for an investigation (see link). Of course no father is going to be happy with a mission that got his son killed, but I think there is good cause for an investigation.

I've never been in the military, but my understanding is that special forces are about stealthy approach and surprise. From the reporting on the raid in Yemen, the element of surprise was lost. My question is why was the raid wasn't aborted once it became clear that the terrorists knew they were about to be attacked. Honestly I wish the GOP Congress would pursue this with the same fervour they pursued the Benghazi investigations. If it is turns out just to have been a bad string of luck, then so be it. But if somebody ordered the attack to continue in spite of the fact that the raiding force had been discovered, then there should be hell to pay.

2. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Because we're not in the movies. We're talking about highly trained SEAL's, not rookies.

3. VulchR thread starter macrumors 68020

VulchR

SEAL's are light infantry outfitted mostly for surveillance and small skirmishes, not prolonged fire fights.

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

ok, how long did the raid last?

5. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

There will be no investigation into anything involving the POTUS and the WH unless it's done by an independent panel. There's no point into throwing money away for nothing. If the tables were turned this would be the new Benghazi" for the Republicans, but since it's not and all of Trump's boys are at the top, nothing will happen and the father will be told to kick rocks.

6. poloponies macrumors 68030

That would be the point of the investigation. What did they know, when did they know it and if they knew it before the SEALs were deployed. Nice of you to complete the investigation for us.

7. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

long enough to kill a 8 year old American citizen and some other children

8. VulchR thread starter macrumors 68020

VulchR

Long enough to kill at least 35 people (1 Seal, 20+ civilians and 14 bad guys) and to lose a $90 million Osprey. But, if there were an investigation, I am sure that information could be obtained fairly precisely. Without it, there are only press reports...

9. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

I am pretty sure that internal investigations are routine after the death of a soldier.
    I hope that you're not asking for a public investigation.

10. VulchR thread starter macrumors 68020

VulchR

Sadly I fear what you say is true. Perhaps this was just one of those things and nobody was to blame on the US side. I'm just saying that given a soldier lost his life it would be worth evaluating whether mistakes were made so they are not committed in the future. No doubt the military are doing this, but I would feel better if civilians were investigating (namely, Congress).
    --- Post Merged, Feb 27, 2017 ---
    A closed Congressional investigation would be fine. Not trying to score political points (although I worry politics might have come into the decisions about the raid).

11. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Has any congressman (D or R) even mentioned it?

12. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

It appears they were discovered as they reached their target. It's not like they can say "our bad, let us turn around."

13. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

then there should be an investigation.

14. VulchR thread starter macrumors 68020

VulchR

15. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

What did who know?
    Or 50 minutes according to this source.

"Fifty minutes after the raiding team reached the village, the firefight was over. Owens was dead, and at least six American service members were injured. The Osprey chopper, a $70 million aircraft, was destroyed by a U.S. bomb. The U.S. left with communications equipment, and said that three of the 14 enemy combatants killed were top AQAP leaders."

16. VulchR thread starter macrumors 68020

VulchR

There was always the option to abort. Why was it not taken? Was it even considered, and if so, by whom? Maybe the best military decision was to proceed, but hadn't we better be sure about that before another raid is planned?

17. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

I would guess that sometimes it's impossible to abort, and that's a decision made on the field.

18. VulchR thread starter macrumors 68020

VulchR

Right. Better to have an official investigation so the apparent discrepancies in the accounts can be resolved. Also, perhaps time is not the issue for light infantry. Rounds fired would be....
    Or by POTUS.

19. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Meh. Again, we're talking about highly trainined SEAL's. They encountered an unexpected problem during the mission, which they were able to carry out, unfortunately at a much higher cost than planned.

20. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

The entire operation was most likely several hours, not the firefight. They were already at their objective when they were discovered. It was too late to abort, since you know, they were being shot at.

21. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

VulchR I agree with you, unfortunately many people don't have faith on anything that comes out of this Administration. The father certainly deserves an investigation into this matter, will he get one......a fair one at that? who knows. This is the same POTUS the questions the legitimacy of his intelligence agency and ridiculed the parents a fallen military soldier due to his religious ethnicity.

22. VulchR thread starter macrumors 68020

VulchR

I suspect some Presidents take their military responsibility more serious than others...
    [​IMG]
    but I could be wrong. Supposedly Trump was eating dinner when he OK'ed the raid.
    Makes sense with respect to the time issue. No so sure about being unable to order a disciplined retreat, particularly with air power overhead. I just want to be reassured that somebody with less conflict of interest than the Pentagon would look into it.

23. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

this is a very unfair post.
    The picture was about Bin Laden's raid, I would hope that Obama was there. That was an incredibly important mission (and even there something didn't go as planned).
    Do you think that Obama was present at each and every raid, and that no one ever died?

24. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

That was for Osama. If you think Obama watched every raid, I have a bridge to sell you.

Again, they were being shot at.

I doubt the Pentagon, or JSOC are biased when reviewing missions like this.