Iomega Ultramax 1TB or OWC MercuryElite FW 800/400 + USB

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bob5820, Jun 21, 2007.

1. bob5820 macrumors 6502a

bob5820

I’m trying to decide between these two for backing up my MacPro. Both are right around $400.00, both use 2 500 mb HD’s configured as RAID 0. Though they look different both have the aluminum cheese greater look and will look good next to the MP. Both have 2 FW 800 / 1 FW400 / and 1 USB ports. The Iomega got a nice write up in MacLife, but I know from experience that OWC stuff is typically pretty high quality. The only differences I can see are that the Iomega only has a 1 year warranty compared to the 2 year warranty from OWC. The Iomega comes with EMC retrospect Express while the OWC comes with ProSoft Data Backup. The OWC may have better HD’s as it lists the cache at 32MB total, while the Iomega lists cache at 8Mb, though I’m not sure that this really matters when running back ups at night. I’m leaning towards the OWC based on the longer warranty and the software choice. I’d be interested in hearing about experiences with either solution.

2. JHacker macrumors 6502

JHacker

I have the 2 enclosure Mercury AL from OWC and I put 2 320 Seagate hard drives in it. I love it and it looks great. I've been using OWC for RAM and hard drives (I also have a 160gb Mercury AL) and I've had no problems with them at all. If you buy the enclosure from OWC and put in Seagates like me, the drives have a 5 year warranty on them. Plus, it's cheaper.