ION strengthened glass?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jimbo1mcm, Sep 10, 2014.

1. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

Phil blew past the screen pretty fast. He never mentioned Gorilla Glass or Sapphire, so I am guessing it is another process. The bezels look bigger than the famous Marques Brownlee video where he is bending it with his shoe and trying to scratch it with scissors. So who makes it? Anyone?

2. Izauze macrumors 6502

Gorilla glass IS ion strengthened glass. He may not have mentioned them by name for a reason, or perhaps they are using a different supplier for the glass this time around

3. GoPro macrumors member

This is the worst thing about the phone IMO. The glass isn't sapphire so it's not scratch proof and rounded meaning you can't apply a screen protector to it, meaning you will get scratches.

4. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Hah. Are you one of those that celebrate when you find our there's actually wifi on a flight, b/c it's so rare, but the second it has any issues you raise all sorts of hell?

The glass is already scratch resistant, always has been, but it's still glass, so one must still take care. "Not sapphire" =/= crap

I'm sure vendors are scrambling for products and solutions at this very moment so as to relieve you of you/your parents' hard-earned cash, so just "Simma down nah!" :cool:

5. GoPro, Sep 10, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2014

GoPro macrumors member

Nope

Nope, they develop small surface scratches eventually.

Sapphire is crap, OK. You're clearly an expert on glass.

I doubt that.

PS. I'm sure most will agree with me that if Apple are going to make a screen rounded thus making it impossible to protect from the inevitable scratches it will develop in the future, a scratch-free (i.e. Sapphire) glass would be the best type of glass to use. Only a dumbass will ignore this.

6. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Haha. Clearly not. Well good luck with that then, guy. :cool:

7. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

You're probably seeing scratches in the coating, not the glass itself.