Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's latest operating system, iOS 10, is seeing quicker adoption rates than iOS 9 saw during the same adoption period last year, according to data collected by Mixpanel. As of 10:00 a.m. Pacific Time, 24 hours after iOS 10 was released, the OS is installed on 14.45 percent of devices.

Comparatively, 24 hours after iOS 9 was released, it was installed on 12.60 percent of devices, also based on data gathered from Mixpanel. That's also similar to iOS 8 adoption rates in 2014, suggesting iOS 10 is slightly outpacing both updates, likely due to the wide range of new features introduced.

ios10adoptionrates-800x407.jpg

iOS 10 saw some early installation issues that have undoubtedly made people weary of downloading the update and have slowed adoption rates.

Shortly after iOS 10 was released, users began seeing their installations fail, requiring them to connect to a computer to repair the installation or restore via iTunes. Apple fixed the issue within an hour, but not before it impacted hundreds.

Since then, iOS 10 has installed smoothly and we've seen few bug reports, suggesting it's stable and safe to download. iOS 10 adoption will likely jump up as we hit the weekend, as people will have time to do the installation, and with the iPhone 7 releasing on Friday, there will be millions of new devices running the operating system.

With iOS 10 adoption on the rise, the number of devices running iOS 9 is steadily falling. iOS 9 is now installed on 81.09 percent of devices. 4.46 percent of devices continue to run iOS 8 or earlier.

iOS 10 is a free update that's available for the iPhone 5 and later, the iPad mini 2 and later, the iPad 4 and later, and the 6th generation iPod touch.

Article Link: iOS 10 Now Installed on 14.5% of Devices, Early Adoption Rates Outpacing iOS 9 Adoption

jkrazylitb

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2016
Connecticut
I tried updating this morning and after installing it required my phone to connect to iTunes and told me that it either needed to restore to factory settings or update back to 9.3.5. So I currently haven't been able to update -__-

garirry

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
See what the person right below you said...
Okay, then what happened to the devices that were """"bricked"""" by iOS 10? Why are there no more reports of them after the announcement that Apple claimed it was fixed? Why is a Youtuber with 24 devices had no problem whatsoever?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
In all respect to Apple, I will not download the new iOS version on day one, for reasons what happened to forum members yesterday with their 6s/SE iPhones.

Reactions: pat500000

TurboPGT!

Suspended
Sep 25, 2015
If iOS 9 was installed on 10% of (lets say) install base 1 billion, thats 100 million devices. If iOS 10 is installed on 14.4% of 1.25 billion devices, thats 180 million devices. Nearly double the actual install base year over year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.