Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

If Apple follows its usual upgrade cycle, iOS 10 should be announced at WWDC this summer with a public release in the fall. In anticipation of the release, our forum members have been discussing iOS 10 wishlist features since October. One common request has been a more customizable control center.

Visual designer and animator Sam Beckett has incorporated his views on what a more advanced control center should look like, including the use of 3D Touch and customizable widgets.

Features depicted include:
[*]3D Touch for different options per button
[*]Long press to move buttons around
[*]Edit button to replace buttons
[*]Dark mode

Apple has yet to make any announcements about iOS 10, though does plan to release iOS 9.3 in the Spring. We expect to hear more about iOS 10 in the months leading up to WWDC 2016.

Article Link: iOS 10 Concept Video Integrates 3D Touch into Control Center

RedGala

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2015
There's always one concept that seems to be on point, and I think this one has a good amount of truth in it.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
This is fantastic. Some concepts go too far and forget how Apple thinks and operates. This one follows the rules and fits right in with not only what Apple would do, but what they are most likely going to do.

3D Touch has a lot of potential and I expect that this is the route Apple will take initially as 3D navigation grows in complexity over the next few iterations of iOS.

vertsix

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2015
Texas
Yes. I definitely want this and just like it appears.

I also want a dark mode, which would work well with that dark-themed Control Center shown in this article. I hate burning my retinas out during the dark by the white. And no, turning down brightness does not help.

XMZ-250

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2014
Home
My control center wish list:
- Scrollable toggles for those who like to have more than 5 toggles
- 3D touch/tap and hold(for iPhone 6 and lower) to go to it's settings
- Customize control center positions inside the settings app

vjl323

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2005
Western North Carolina
Love the idea of being able to move the buttons in the Control Center [helpful to put the lock button in the center so one is not always turning on/off bluetooth!]. Also love the idea of being able to add/remove items from it as well.

If Apple is making the iPhone SE not come with 3D Touch, then that would be a bummer for folks who have a 6 month old phone and who can't take advantage of the new 3D Touch functions.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
iOS X could literally be iOS 9 + dark mode and I would be happy. But yeah, this is probably the best concept video I've seen. I also had the thought to have the new night shift icon next to the brightness slider. Apple really needs to take 3D Touch to the next level and this could be part of it. They could also provide standard controls in settings for older iPhone users and other users who don't use 3D Touch. Hopefully Apple just copies this concept. I think the same could be said of other areas in iOS, such as customizing menu bars in places like Safari, Notification Center, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.