Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Apple seems to be on an unfortunate minor downward spiral that is rare for the modern version of the company. iPhone sales growth is slowing, Apple Watch sale predictions are down, and the company has released many products in 2015 that seem to not have been ready for the public at the time of release.

With iPhone 7 and iOS 10 specifically, Apple has a chance to redeem itself and change the game. I think the company needs to push itself to create the most major iOS upgrade in a long time as iOS 10 can be a great milestone.

Apple needs to stun in 2016, and the new versions of iOS and the iPhone are going to be two of the biggest factors in determining the company's future trajectory.

colorfuel

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2015
Eventhough I do not think the iPhone 7 will be that much a revolution, iOS10 may very well bring some surprises. iOS 9 has mostly been a stability upgrade to iOS8, so there is hope iOS 10 will bring a few fresh ideas.

Reactions: Flow39

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Face it, the iPhone and iOS has peaked (probably Apple, too). What else can they do? Add more clutter to the already cramped OS? Make the phone's bigger? Hell, they reached perfection (as far as phones go) already. They admitted they were out of ideas by going to larger and larger phones. There's only so much you can do with a small, handheld device.

They need to diversify (and by diversify, I mean actually come up with something new people want this time, not a car and not a watch). The old days of "people don't know what they want until we tell them" are long gone.

I really wouldn't know what to tell them. I think they hit pay dirt with the iPhone, but that train has left the station and I honestly don't think they've got anything else.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I hope so as well, but I'm not expecting anything revolutionary. Hopefully a higher resolution screen, fresh design, wireless charging or better yet fast charging, 32GB entry, and a less restricted OS.

thatanonymoususer

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2015
Apple seems to be on an unfortunate minor downward spiral that is rare for the modern version of the company. iPhone sales growth is slowing, Apple Watch sale predictions are down, and the company has released many products in 2015 that seem to not have been ready for the public at the time of release.

With iPhone 7 and iOS 10 specifically, Apple has a chance to redeem itself and change the game. I think the company needs to push itself to create the most major iOS upgrade in a long time as iOS 10 can be a great milestone.

Apple needs to stun in 2016, and the new versions of iOS and the iPhone are going to be two of the biggest factors in determining the company's future trajectory.

I don't think it's something specific to Apple in the area of phones. Apple has managed to add a new feature almost every year for 8 years. There aren't too many features left to add when compared to other phones. If you look at other phones, the only cool-ish things that they could add are a stylus (not apple's style since the newton), IR (Apple doesn't like to support old technologies), or an FM radio (Again - old technologies). There aren't any major features in other phones for the iPhone to implement. They will have to be extremely creative in order to make future releases exciting in terms of features.

On the other hand, because Apple doesn't have much left to release in terms of features, their main pain-point for the iPhone business would be the Android market catching up with their list of features on mid-range phones. At that point, a $900 Apple phone doesn't look as appealing next to a $400-$500 phone that does the same thing, especially in a market with people purchasing new devices every year or every other year.

That said, I think that Apple has a lot of creative people within their company. They have the money and the brainpower to do cool things. The recent rumors surrounding virtual reality/augmented reality and continuous AI improvements are pretty interesting to me as VR keeps popping up as a possible big technology market. Right now, many companies are looking into it and making demos, but all of the solutions that I've seen are clunky and inconvenient. Apple tends to thrive in these types of markets where they can use their creativity to make something uniquely elegant.

MacRazySwe

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
2015 was the year Apple turned greedy. Apple Watch bands for several hundred dollars, the new MacBook featuring only a 480p FaceTime camera and spinning discs in their brand new iMacs. Not to mention the Fusion Drive SSD-part was reduced to a mere 24 GB (was it 24?). Let's not even get started on the $100 Apple Pencil...

The 6S still comes with 16GB as standard, and 3D Touch is so far only a gimmick which doesn't warrant an upgrade from the iPhone 6 users.

Tomorrow (today?) Apple will release their latest sales figures. I sincerely hope people have been voting with their wallets. I think we can expect the first decrease in sales for the latest iPhone. It will be interesting to see how the stock market reacts. I think it will become evident that Apple will need to step up their game in 2016 to maintain their market position.

Please note, maintaining market position does not equate to "Apple is doomed".

I expect the iPhone 7 and iOS 10 to be worthwhile updates. I expect an improved design, perhaps waterproofing and hopefully even wireless charging. 32GB base should be standard, otherwise I won't be upgrading from my iPhone 6 64GB.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
oh stop it.

if you don't get these features then you bitch about not having them and having to jailbreak to get the perfect phone.
When have I ever bitched about having to jailbreak?

I've jailbroken every iPhone I've ever had since iOS 5 and been happy to do it - because there is stuff I can do that Apple won't or won't allow.

When Apple borrows stuff from jailbreakers two things happen

The first is that they do a worse job at it then the tweak they ripped off. Quick Reply on iOS 7/8/9 as compared to BiteSMS for example.

The second thing that happens is Apple claims it's a new feature and it gets accepted as fact - despite Apple having stolen the idea.

And it's those two things I do bitch about!

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
iPhone sales will probably be massive again this year with the 7. It's a redesign year after all. Plus the Big 4 carriers and Apple themselves now have more a more consumers hooked on "$0 down, lease, and trade-in" your iPhone every year programs. It should easily outsell the 6S.

As for iOS 10, Apple could just add new wallpapers and call it iOS 10 and they'd still have record sales. I've rarely heard anyone make their decision on whether or not to buy an iPhone based off how the latest iOS changed from the previous one.

thatanonymoususer

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2015
When have I ever bitched about having to jailbreak?

I've jailbroken every iPhone I've ever had since iOS 5 and been happy to do it - because there is stuff I can that Apple won't or won't allow.

When Apple borrows stuff from jailbreakers two things happen

The first is that they do a worse job at it then the tweak they ripped off. Quick Reply on iOS 7/8/9 as compared to BiteSMS for example.

The second thing that happens is Apple claims it's a new feature and it gets accepted as fact - despite Apple having stolen the idea.

And it's those two things I do bitch about!
It's new to the iPhone for most users. Most technologies that get implemented on iPhones aren't completely new. They are new to the OS, and for the vast majority who don't jailbreak - they get a better experience. I don't see any alternatives as better. You don't get a good keynote by listing off the jailbreak tweaks or apps that you now include features from.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
It's new to the iPhone for most users. Most technologies that get implemented on iPhones aren't completely new. They are new to the OS, and for the vast majority who don't jailbreak - they get a better experience. I don't see any alternatives as better. You don't get a good keynote by listing off the jailbreak tweaks or apps that you now include features from.
That is what I meant by 'accepted as fact'.

'Better' experience though is a matter of perspective. From the perspective of a customer who has never jailbroken it is absolutely a better experience. But there are no alternatives that would be better. Apple either does not allow them or co-opts them. f.lux/Night Mode for example (iOS 9.3).

I'm not saying that Apple should credit the devs because as you say that would not give a good keynote. But at the same time I don't think they should be taking credit for some idea they didn't create.

But that's always been a problem of mine with Apple. They didn't create the USB or Firewire port with the Mac but they sure as hell acted like they did.

If they could have gotten away with claiming that they invented LTE they would have done that too (my opinion)!

Last edited:

MacRazySwe

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Tomorrow (today?) Apple will release their latest sales figures. I sincerely hope people have been voting with their wallets. I think we can expect the first decrease in sales for the latest iPhone. It will be interesting to see how the stock market reacts. I think it will become evident that Apple will need to step up their game in 2016 to maintain their market position.

Please note, maintaining market position does not equate to "Apple is doomed"

So, I have to quote myself and provide a bit of an update. I must say I'm pleasantly surprised by the sales figures of the iPhone for Q4. Eventhough I consider the 6S a lack-luster upgrade, Apple has once again managed to improve their sales, YoY.

Very impressive, considering the saturated smartphone-market. However, a decline is expected for next fiscal quarter Q2, i.e sales for Q1.

Still, I really expect the iPhone 7 to be something else.

AppleFan91

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2012
Indy, US
I'm looking for some big changes as well. I love Apple and their products but I feel that in starting to miss some features that others already have. I don't want to switch as I love Apple and their products and iOS is great but I really want.

• wireless charging
• fast charging
• smaller bezels
• higher res screen
• live wallpapers
• 32GB storage
• Customizable control center
• Proactive actually be useful
• widgets/animated icons

Those are just off the top of my head. I know I'm gonna get some people thinking they're funny saying "just go to android". I don't want to, I prefer he stability of iOS and the interconnectivity of iOS to my Apple Watch and OS X

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
One of the things apple definitely needs to upgrade with iphone 7 is the display. It looks decent while other flagship phone's display looks gorgeous .

And ios 10 needs to allow us to choose default programs. It's 2016 Apple we should have a choose in what programs we want set to default.

thatanonymoususer

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2015
I'm looking for some big changes as well. I love Apple and their products but I feel that in starting to miss some features that others already have. I don't want to switch as I love Apple and their products and iOS is great but I really want.

• wireless charging
• fast charging
• smaller bezels
• higher res screen
• live wallpapers
• 32GB storage
• Customizable control center
• Proactive actually be useful
• widgets/animated icons

Those are just off the top of my head. I know I'm gonna get some people thinking they're funny saying "just go to android". I don't want to, I prefer he stability of iOS and the interconnectivity of iOS to my Apple Watch and OS X

That is a nice list. I would add smaller bezels to the list and maybe a first-party MFi controller if I were to make a wish-list.

One thing to think about for anyone on the doom-and-gloom train is the rate of change of design with technology. The Nintendo DS has been out since 2004 with the same basic design being used until now while the first iPhone was released in 2007. Compared to the rest of the tech industry, phones have gone crazy fast. It will be cool to see if Apple does something cool with a 10th anniversary edition in 2017. Also, if Apple goes bezel-free as rumored, I hope we can see some really cool and well-integrated accessories. I feel like the bezels keep your hands too far away from the screen right now for accessory makers.

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
All the things people have suggested in this thread (and others) aren't really going to reinvent the iPhone. A new design on the iPhone 7 will reinvigorate sales no end as all the people on the iPhone 6 will come off contract (the last generation of 2 year contracts). I think we're now in the position where computers were in 7-8 years ago. Even though phones are getting faster, there isn't the pressing need to upgrade like there was before. The iPhone 6s is a tremendous technical achievement in terms of the A9 chip and 3D Touch (not to mention the 2 GB ram everyone has been asking for) yet people don't seem interested and even on this techie forum there are plenty of people intent on keeping their iPhone 6.
I'm wondering if the iPhone may follow the iPad onto an 18 month release schedule. This would give Apple an extra 6 months to get a new design perfected which would avoid things like antennagate, scuffgate and bendgate effectively combining the new design that people want with the maturity that comes from an s model. It would also give a longer iOS development time (or untie iOS releases from having to match iPhone releases).

Besides this, they really need to sort out the iPad once and for all on the software side. If they are pushing it as the future of computing then it needs an OS to match rather than a simple scaled up phone UI. This is what the iPad needs - the proposed Air 3 only seems to feature extra speakers, a flash and A9 chip (if not an A9X then it probably wouldn't be that much quicker than the A8X) a how many people would upgrade their iPad for that?

The AppleTV, despite looking like last year's hardware, seems to have largely unfinished software that really lacks the Apple polish (the way the app name/film title etc appears on the screen when you select something is appalling) and was clearly unfinished - no API for Siri searching of 3rd party apps, Computers content appearing in search (not just ripped content, but items previously purchased from iTunes) and mandatory Siri remote control for games. This adds to the issues with the watch (underpowered, pointless apps, poor battery).

So, in summary Apple will probably be ok in 2016 with a new design of iPhone, but they will need to do something special for the follow-up. Without a revolution in iPad UI and software features or a way of making the watch more useful/indispensable to the masses those products will continue to suffer. Apple TV can be salvaged with some good software updates in the next few months and the Macs will no doubt gain more traction with new rMB-esque design cues for Skylake.

IHelpId10t5

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2014
Apple seems to be on an unfortunate minor downward spiral ...

Really? After a report of "Results Produce Record Quarterly Profit of $18.4 Billion" you honestly had the balls to say that "Apple seems to be on an unfortunate minor downward spiral"?

If I could control Apple for a year, I would have them add no extra features at all to iOS and instead, optimize and improve code for performance, and scour the already highly secure iOS for additional security enhancements. The rest of the mobile OS market (yes, Android and Windows) is a joke when it comes to both security, updating, and fragmentation. Therefore, Apple could honestly just improve the existing OS features, reduce the cost of iOS devices by just a bit, and continue to dominate the market for years to come.

Reactions: newsman787

Flow39

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2014
The Apple Store
I agree with this, even though Apple has posted yet another record quarter. Maybe iOS 10 will be a huge overhaul like OS X was back in the day. The iPhone 7 does really need to knock the ball out of the park since there are fewer and fewer reasons to upgrade every year and the cost of phones is no longer hidden in the $200 price tag.

EDIT: Changed 'less and less' to 'fewer and fewer' based on a grammatical correction :D

Last edited:

Qbnkelt

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2015
Mid-Atlantic
Meh. I'm not invested in the company's future relative to their market position. I'm not becoming involved in a company the way I became involved in BlackBerry, where I actually bought stock. Lost cash that I'll never see again. My own idiocy.
All I care about is when is the next iPhone going to be released. This us because it's the best platform for me.
Is apple in a decline? Will it ever decline? Irrelevant to me, I'm never making the mistake of becoming emotionally attached to a company I don't own.
Give my my next iPhone....don't care about game changers.

Reactions: DMVillain
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.