Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

icebergx

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 27, 2012
Copenhagen, Denmark
Hi all,
I have an iPad Air 1 that i bought my Ex-Girlfriend. When we split up 3 years ago, she gave it back to me, but we're not on speaking terms.
Anyway, until now, it been working fine. It had no passcode lock and obviously wasn't reported as stolen/locked by Apple, so I happily used it as normal. Whenever I've updated iOS versions, it's always given me the possibility of skipping the bit where I enter the Apple ID/password and would go straight to the to the home screen.

Unfortunately, on updating to iOS 10, the "skip option doesn't seem available, and someone tell me if this is still possible, or is my iPad essentially, dead!?

Thanks.

AlexNice

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2015
Indonesia
Hi all,
I have an iPad Air 1 that i bought my Ex-Girlfriend. When we split up 3 years ago, she gave it back to me, but we're not on speaking terms.
Anyway, until now, it been working fine. It had no passcode lock and obviously wasn't reported as stolen/locked by Apple, so I happily used it as normal. Whenever I've updated iOS versions, it's always given me the possibility of skipping the bit where I enter the Apple ID/password and would go straight to the to the home screen.

Unfortunately, on updating to iOS 10, the "skip option doesn't seem available, and someone tell me if this is still possible, or is my iPad essentially, dead!?

Thanks.
Are you sure you update it? not ... restore it?
As long as i know, it only happens when you restore ... not update

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Hi all,

Thanks.
Sometimes updates don't ask for anything, other times they prompt to go through some settings, sometimes it's simply to login into the iCloud account, or confirm it, which can be skipped, but other times it's actual Activation Lock that is being checked for some reason, and that one can't be bypassed.

icebergx

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 27, 2012
Copenhagen, Denmark
Sometimes updates don't ask for anything, other times they prompt to go through some settings, sometimes it's simply to login into the iCloud account, or confirm it, which can be skipped, but other times it's actual Activation Lock that is being checked for some reason, and that one can't be bypassed.
Sure, I just think it's weird that I've updated the iPad several times a year, for the last 2-3 years, without any problem. Then this happens without any warning...

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Sure, I just think it's weird that I've updated the iPad several times a year, for the last 2-3 years, without any problem. Then this happens without any warning...
Yeah, like I mentioned, things like that are kind of unpredictable with updates, sometimes they don't come up, other times they do, and even when they do they aren't always the same ones necessarily. The likelihood of it coming up with major updates (going from 9 to 10, for example) seems to be higher.

Ashin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
iOS10.1 seems to have done something - I had to verify mine with 2-factor on another device for some reason

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
iOS10.1 seems to have done something - I had to verify mine with 2-factor on another device for some reason
I was prompted to set up 2FA, and then also to verify my iCloud account, and I think that's about it.

Reactions: 988466

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Hi all,

Thanks.

Since you were the one who bought it, bring it and the receipt in to Apple. They should be able to reset it. If you bought it directly from Apple, they should be able to look it up for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.