IOS 11 Opening app in split screen that ISN'T already in the dock?

Discussion in 'iOS 11' started by Howarc, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Howarc macrumors newbie

Howarc

I'm just wondering how people are going about opening apps in split screen if they are not already in the dock?

Is IOS11 forcing us to put in the dock any app that we may want to use in split screen mode at some point?

I have seen some people say that they create a folder in the dock for frequently app split screen apps... but this feels like a workaround.

Any thoughts?

2. nikelos macrumors newbie

Easy. While on homescreen you hold one app icon with finger and open any other app. Then move icon you held to left or right side of screen and release it.

3. Abazigal macrumors G4

Abazigal

This. It sounds a lot more complicated than it really is; practice one or two times and you should get the hang of it.

4. nikelos macrumors newbie

Its fine when you use ipad on table or knees and do this with both hands.
    But I can agree it is bad idea for one handed usage.

5. Abazigal macrumors G4

Abazigal

It can be done with one hand just fine (assuming the other hand is holding the iPad or the iPad is on a stable surface).

The other option is to pay attention to your usage needs. Usually, you end up using the same apps in a few default split-screen configurations. So ensure one is in your dock, open the app from your home screen, then launch the 2nd app from the dock on either the right or left side of the screen as desired.

Alternatively, open and close the app to have it appear in the recents section of your dock. You can then launch it from there while the first app is open and active.

6. pika2000 macrumors 601

This seems to be over complicated. The previous method is quite simple, and it listed all apps that can be split screen or invoked on the side.

7. Howarc thread starter macrumors newbie

Howarc

Thanks all for your responses...

Whilst I have done this now a few times using the method outlined above... (where you press and hold an app in the homes screen) my issue is that as PIKA2000 says, "this seems overcomplicated".

In the previous iOS if I had safari open... and I wanted to bring up a calculator app... a simple swipe would reveal all the apps that I could use... WITHOUT returning to the home screen to find it.

I wish there was a better way in iOS 11 (other than putting everything I might need to use in the dock, which undermines the point of the dock IMO)

hmmmm

8. Yptcn macrumors 6502a

Yptcn

Do you by any chance still have that list ?

9. danmart, Sep 26, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2017

danmart macrumors 6502a

danmart

On the flip side, there was only two or three apps I used to multi-task with any regularity and to change the app I had to search through a list of apps in a seemingly random order. Also, I always got the last app initially when I started multi-tasking, which was sub-optimal as one of my apps takes quite a while to open (GoodReader with large PDF documents) . I much prefer the new way of doing things though I agree it isn’t perfect.

If you know you want to open a new combo then opening the apps singularly first puts them in the ‘recent apps’ part of the dock on the right hand side and that makes them accessible for multitasking.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 26, 2017 ---
    Just been playing around. If I am in an app that isn’t in the dock usually and want to multi-task with another app that also isn’t usually in the dock then: closing the first app, opening the second app, then re-selecting the first app from ‘recent apps’ works. Though it is more steps than you would otherwise like.

Even with that I still personally prefer it to the pre-11 way of doing things.

10. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

Wow, had no clue you could do that. I thought you had to have the recent apps feature enabled in the dock in order to do that. Looks like I can turn that back off. Thanks!

11. danmart, Sep 26, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2017

danmart macrumors 6502a

danmart

I can’t get that to work. For me that just opens both apps, full screen, one at a time.

Can anyone provide more info on how to do it?