iOS 11 speech to text behavior - bug or "feature"?

Discussion in 'iOS 11' started by EJ8, Aug 16, 2017.

1. EJ8 Suspended

EJ8

Previous to iOS 11 when you were using the speech to text feature to create a message, email, etc... when you were done speaking and clicked the big grey speech-recognition box, the keyboard would pop back up so you could then type if necessary. It no longer does that - unless you carefully click the small keyboard symbol in the bottom right. The first few betas I thought it was a bug and no big deal but I'm starting to worry they did this on purpose. And if so, for the love of god, WHYYYY?

2. MozMan68 macrumors 68020

MozMan68

3. smelser1123 macrumors newbie

This is a horrible feature and I am hoping it is just a bug because for us people with dexterity issues this can be a major concern. Please see screenshot and correct this Apple!! I rely on speech to text 99% of the time

Attached Files:

4. Bobbymcadams macrumors newbie

Bobbymcadams

… And Apple never never admits it’s mistakes. No apologies ever. Having said that, their customer service is impeccable. I just wish they would acknowledge whether this was a bug or a stupid new unwanted feature.

5. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

What’s so wrong with just pressing on the keyboard symbol on the lower right? It’s the same number of steps as the old method, it’s not that hard to do. It’s actually good this way because if you want to continue to use dictation, but need some time to think about the next sentence, you could just press the center of the screen.

6. matthewv1227 macrumors 6502

If it were a bug there would not be a button to go back to the keyboard.

7. Benprogfuse macrumors newbie

Yes, it is excruciating to use Voice to Text now.. It is like trying to tie your shoes with 1 hand..
    --- Post Merged, Jan 3, 2018 ---
    Because you have to squeeze your hand to stretch your thumb down to select it, if you are using 1 hand..