Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
I'm aware of that. What's funny is that the Swisscom eSIM profile was recognized as "not Apple certified" in Beta 3 until a couple of weeks ago. Then yesterday, suddenly, while I still was on Beta 3, those Swisscom eSIM profiles didn't complain about not being certified anymore. And I didn't update my iPhone in the meantime.

This means there *also* is a server-side switch somewhere which allows Apple to enable new carriers. Btw, the Swisscom eSIM worked (as non-Apple-certified) in iOS 12.1 as well.
Oh yeah I agree with the server-side option. Same with Apple Pay when they 'turn on' certain countries. (after its already added to iOS)
[doublepost=1544104860][/doublepost]
yesterday I did a Dfu restore with the itunes on my iphone 8 plus I don't think the version 12.1.1 was out yet should i update ? if I don't restore and update again i will have problems with my iphone ??? only updating what is the best way to update it from my phone or can i update it with the itunes ?? without restoring of course ... thank you verry much ...
You should update. No need to restore. You can use OTA or iTunes whichever you prefer. I would recommend that if you OTA update that you close all apps, reboot device then update. While not required, that seems to work better. iTunes will basically download the entire image rather than just the delta changes. Either one is fine though. I would certainly backup first though either way.

Last edited:
Reactions: jhall8 and Sebby91

Aquaporin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2005
USA
Three minor gripes: I am missing phone calls while using the phone for some reason. There is slight lag compared to earlier iOS 12 for my iPhone 7. Finally for some reason the keyboard is bad about registering the correct letter pressed. On earlier iOS 12 versions, it was much more accurate.

I do not want to buy another iPhone any time soon. But my 7 is frustrating to use now.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
Face ID (or at least the lock) seems faster on my XSM. Notifications seem to be a buggy mess with my Apple Watch S4. Hoping the WatchOS update today will fix it.

Natya Sadella

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2016
Anyone experienced charging issues with 12.1.1? After installing, I put my xs on the wireless fast charger plate at 16% and waked up with 6%.

JDabney24

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2014
The new 12.1.1 update won’t install on my iPad mini 4 for some reason. Coming from the beta, profile has been deleted and device has been restarted. Downloads just fine, but it just hangs at “verifying” and then I get this error message. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 202159B7-5575-4078-9DBE-161EEE566DD8.jpeg
    202159B7-5575-4078-9DBE-161EEE566DD8.jpeg
    359.2 KB · Views: 287

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
The new 12.1.1 update won’t install on my iPad mini 4 for some reason. Coming from the beta, profile has been deleted and device has been restarted. Downloads just fine, but it just hangs at “verifying” and then I get this error message. Any ideas?

Go into iPhone storage, delete the update and manually trigger it again.

Or use iTunes recovery method to update the device.

JDabney24

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2014
Go into iPhone storage, delete the update and manually trigger it again.

Or use iTunes recovery method to update the device.

I already tried your first suggestion several times to no avail. What’s the recovery method through iTunes?

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Have to say I'm not a fan of the same sound being used for interacting with lockscreen notifications and the camera/flashlight buttons. Hope they change that in a future version.

elitypes

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2007
XS Max on AT&T in NYC. 12.1.1 has not resolved the poor LTE issues I’ve had since day one. Starting to lose all hope that will ever be addressed.

christian.terra

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2014
XS Max on AT&T in NYC. 12.1.1 has not resolved the poor LTE issues I’ve had since day one. Starting to lose all hope that will ever be addressed.
What issues are you mainly seeing? With Verizon in NYC and I have a 3/4 bars of LTE, but crazy slow data (sometimes can't even send imessage). Also when taking the subway, the phone won't reconnect to the network by itself, I need to turn airplane mode on/off.

Reactions: petesavage

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
12.1.1 has so far been a mess for me. Notifications aren’t coming to Apple Watch, when connected to air pods it randomly skips to a different song while showing a different song frozen on the phone, poor LTE signal, missed phone calls, missed messages.

Do better Apple, I’m growing tired of these problems where an update takes another update to fix it, then the next update needs an update to fix those problems introduced with the last update. You are running these beta’s forever, get it right the first time.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013

What issues are you mainly seeing? With Verizon in NYC and I have a 3/4 bars of LTE, but crazy slow data (sometimes can't even send imessage). Also when taking the subway, the phone won't reconnect to the network by itself, I need to turn airplane mode on/off.

You both kind of nailed it: Many (though not all) of these issues may be more symptomatic of being in a large mass of users, i.e., NYC. I am there frequently and when I am, my battery runs out much faster and it is harder to connect and download data. Too many people and too many radio waves!

elitypes

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2007
This. Basically LTE data is abysmal. ~1-3 mbps DL, ~1 mbps UL. It’s not even just the speed, the phone struggles to connect to data. Not just in the city, but when I’ve been out to Long Island and Hudson on weekends. It’s terrible at reconnecting after losing data. This has been awful given I use the phone for GPS. Multiple times it’ll lose all data connection when I arrive at my destination and then is unable to connect to the internet. Often time I have to use my wife’s phone to navigate back home.

You both kind of nailed it: Many (though not all) of these issues may be more symptomatic of being in a large mass of users, i.e., NYC. I am there frequently and when I am, my battery runs out much faster and it is harder to connect and download data. Too many people and too many radio waves!
Although I agree big cities deal with congestion, this isn’t the sole reason. I’ve lived/worked in NYC for the last 10+ years. I’ve had iPhones since the original. I’ve never dealt with LTE/cellular issues like this. Even before buying the XS Max I was using a 7+ I had solid reception everywhere. I’m used to seeing ~20-40 mbps DL and UL. Sure that’s a far cry from super speeds, that I definitely chalk up to city congestion. But compared to the XS Max it NEVER had data/cellular issues.

I’ve posted in many similar threads here since the XS phones launched. I’ve been in touch with apple and sent sysdiagnose files and logs for 2 Max phones now. All I get is “our engineering teams are aware and are working on a resolution”, but that was 2 months ago already. 12.1 and 12.1.1 have done zero to improve the issue despite updates to modem and carrier versions.

roncron

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2011
[original post deleted - CarPlay problem went away, was not due to iOS 12.1.1 but to my 2018 Subaru's head unit]

Last edited:

Sci_Tech

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2016
SoCal
Does anyone have issues with the signal bars not refreshing using CarPlay? I noticed I have to unlock the phone and that triggers the signal bars to update on my head unit screen. Didn't notice this in 12.1

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
This. Basically LTE data is abysmal. ~1-3 mbps DL, ~1 mbps UL. It’s not even just the speed, the phone struggles to connect to data. Not just in the city, but when I’ve been out to Long Island and Hudson on weekends. It’s terrible at reconnecting after losing data. This has been awful given I use the phone for GPS. Multiple times it’ll lose all data connection when I arrive at my destination and then is unable to connect to the internet. Often time I have to use my wife’s phone to navigate back home.

Although I agree big cities deal with congestion, this isn’t the sole reason. I’ve lived/worked in NYC for the last 10+ years. I’ve had iPhones since the original. I’ve never dealt with LTE/cellular issues like this. Even before buying the XS Max I was using a 7+ I had solid reception everywhere. I’m used to seeing ~20-40 mbps DL and UL. Sure that’s a far cry from super speeds, that I definitely chalk up to city congestion. But compared to the XS Max it NEVER had data/cellular issues.

I’ve posted in many similar threads here since the XS phones launched. I’ve been in touch with apple and sent sysdiagnose files and logs for 2 Max phones now. All I get is “our engineering teams are aware and are working on a resolution”, but that was 2 months ago already. 12.1 and 12.1.1 have done zero to improve the issue despite updates to modem and carrier versions.
Generally no issues with your comments, but surely you remember the issues AT&T had in NYC when the first iPhone hit the market? While they weren't LTE issues (as the original iPhone did not support LTE), there were definitely severe network congestion issues.

Reactions: elitypes

christian.terra

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2014
Generally no issues with your comments, but surely you remember the issues AT&T had in NYC when the first iPhone hit the market? While they weren't LTE issues (as the original iPhone did not support LTE), there were definitely severe network congestion issues.
It was absolutely terrible. If I remember correctly, the congestion used to be so bad even with the 3G. You knew it was the network back then, but now it is clearly an issue with phone hardware. For example, putting my 11' pro next to my iPhone XS, the connectivity speeds, signal searching/connecting, and signal strength are night and day. My iPad will pick up Verizon network instantly, yet iPhone won't unless it is restarted or airplane mode is toggled on/off repeatedly.

jessebkr87

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2016
Does anyone have issues with the signal bars not refreshing using CarPlay? I noticed I have to unlock the phone and that triggers the signal bars to update on my head unit screen. Didn't notice this in 12.1

Mine is also doing this.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Has anyone by any chance noticed their device warming up while using it at times, essentially more than before?

It's something that I've only rarely experienced, but since updating my iPhone 7 to iOS 12.1.1 yesterday there have already been a few different occasions where I've noticed it getting noticeably warm while doing some fairly typical things like watching Netflix or being on a call or even at times just using Safari (things that never really resulted in that before).

Last edited:

GIZBUG

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2006
Chicago, IL
My wife’s iPhone 8 now requires a 6 digit passcode. No longer is there an option for a 4 digit passcode. If I change the 6 digit passcode and go to options, I only have the option for an alphanumeric passcode. Never seen this before 12.1.1

She wants her 4 digit passcode back

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
My wife’s iPhone 8 now requires a 6 digit passcode. No longer is there an option for a 4 digit passcode. If I change the 6 digit passcode and go to options, I only have the option for an alphanumeric passcode. Never seen this before 12.1.1

She wants her 4 digit passcode back
Any Exchange email accounts in that device and/or any profiles installed?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.