Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

halabyg

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2015
Nope. Don’t “restore” just “update” and you’ll retain all your data. You will get an update and restore option in recovery mode. DFU mode on the other hand will only give restore option. Back up in case too while using iTunes.

Thanks a million. Updated as per your instructions and it worked.

jtkboston

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2014
iPhone XS, went from 12.1.1 to 12.1.2 (no betas involved) Modem firmware remained 1.02.18, Carrier versions remained unchanged at 35.0.2 (Verizon), 35.0 (H2O, an AT&T MVNO)

VineRider

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2018
iPhone X modem firmware stayed at 2.02.02 and At&t carrier version stayed at 35.0 after update to 12.1.2

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
FCCEDC8D-6465-46CE-B4EF-748CB99F5F3C.jpeg

eSIM primary and physical SIM secondary. I started using the dual sim with this build and noticed physical sim has better reception in certain areas.

Last edited:
Reactions: billchase2

NBKindaGirl

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2017
Kansas City, Missouri
Don’t know if this was a coincidence or not, but this release made a bug I was having in the beta, where I’d have two home bars almost directly on top of each other when opening the keyboard in Twitter and other apps, vanish.

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
Still on 12.1 for all of my 3 iOS devices. With Apple rushing an update without taking the time to test it is why I’m not updating until I see a version stable like 12.1 has been for me. Haven’t had a single issue.

Not impressed with this multitasking bug.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Still on 12.1 for all of my 3 iOS devices. With Apple rushing an update without taking the time to test it is why I’m not updating until I see a version stable like 12.1 has been for me. Haven’t had a single issue.

Not impressed with this multitasking bug.
Why do you think it's rushed?

CLS7

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2016
Malmoe, Sweden
I have an iPhone 7 Plus that has iOS 12.1.2 beta (16D5024a) installed.

I saw that 12.1.2 final version has been released but I do not see it in my iPhone. I removed the beta profile but it still doesn't show up. Has Apple pulled it back?

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
I have an iPhone 7 Plus that has iOS 12.1.2 beta (16D5024a) installed.

I saw that 12.1.2 final version has been released but I do not see it in my iPhone. I removed the beta profile but it still doesn't show up. Has Apple pulled it back?

The beta build is higher than the released build so it will not show up if you're on this build.

You can update it using this method

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Watched EverythingApplePro’s video showed the multitasking bug. Apple didn’t take enough time to fix that with another beta.
This release isn't the one that has been in beta. (Not to mention that while some might experience some issue in some release, and in particular in some betas, it doesn't necessarily mean it's something widespread automatically, although, again, that's fairly unrelated to this release).

nmeed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2014
Just updated to 12.1.2 and my 7+ is stuttering like heck. Was buttery smooth throughout the previous 12.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Just updated to 12.1.2 and my 7+ is stuttering like heck. Was buttery smooth throughout the previous 12.
Sounds like something didn't go right. If restarting doesn't fix it, you might want to try resetting settings, and if not that then perhaps even reinstalling.

Reactions: nmeed

CamiMR

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
View attachment 811398

eSIM primary and physical SIM secondary. I started using the dual sim with this build and noticed physical sim has better reception in certain areas.

I don’t own an eSIM iPhone, but I believe the secondary line is voice only, no data, right?
If that is the case, isn’t it normal and expected that your voice only signal is stronger than the LTE one?

imlynxy

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
I cannot ran Ookla Speed Test aftet update on LTE. Tried on esim Att and rSim T-mobile. Internet is working fine in all other apps including other speedtests

Chazzle

macrumors 68020
Jul 17, 2015
I don’t own an eSIM iPhone, but I believe the secondary line is voice only, no data, right?
If that is the case, isn’t it normal and expected that your voice only signal is stronger than the LTE one?
It’s not voice only, but your point is backwards considering it’s the “LTE” SIM signal that is stronger.

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017
What would the point of no data be?
The thing is you can only use one of the two lines for data since there is no data switching between lines. For instance if you choose your primary line for voice and data, the secondary one will be used only for voice and SMS. If you get a call to your secondary line, you won't have data while on the call unless you are on wifi, since there's no data switching between lines.
[doublepost=1545148687][/doublepost]
It’s not voice only, but your point is backwards considering it’s the “LTE” SIM signal that is stronger.
the secondary line is not necessarily voice and SMS only, but it will be if you choose the primary for voice and data. Only one line can be used for data since there's no data switching.

Reactions: H3LL5P4WN

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
The thing is you can only use one of the two lines for data since there is no data switching between lines. For instance if you choose your primary line for voice and data, the secondary one will be used only for voice and SMS. If you get a call to your secondary line, you won't have data while on the call unless you are on wifi, since there's no data switching between lines.
[doublepost=1545148687][/doublepost]
the secondary line is not necessarily voice and SMS only, but it will be if you choose the primary for voice and data. Only one line can be used for data since there's no data switching.

Forgive me as this is all new territory for me. But couldn't you just switch it all to the second line? Plus, at least with GSM, isn't one of the benefits of the technology the ability to use voice and data at the same time?

CrashTestWalrus

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2018
Has anyone else noticed that Instant hotspot, where you turn on the personal hotspot on the phone from your iPad or computer, hasn’t been working if you have only an eSIM? I thought that maybe this update would fix it but it doesn’t appear so. I am also having trouble with handing calls off from my computer to the iPhone but i don’t know if that is eSIM related or not. It sometimes just doesn’t work.

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017
Forgive me as this is all new territory for me. But couldn't you just switch it all to the second line? Plus, at least with GSM, isn't one of the benefits of the technology the ability to use voice and data at the same time?
Yeah you could choose which line will have voice and data and which will have voice only, but you can’t have data turned pn for both lines at the same time. It’s one or the other. You know apple, things can’t ever be completely free with them. There always has to be a big limitation or a caveat with Apple.
[doublepost=1545166585][/doublepost]
Hi! What is the difference between update from itunes and update from the same iphone?
Not much. It’s usually easier to update over the air, but with itunes you have a few additional options on how to install the update such as choosing whether you want to just install the update on top of your existing data (which is what also happens if you update OTA from the iphone itself), or wipe out the phone and make a clean install of the new iOS version (which is usually not needed unless you are having serious issues with your device).

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.