iOS 12.1.3 Beta 4 ― Bug Fixes, Changes, and Improvements

Discussion in 'iOS 12' started by Banglazed, Jan 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
  1. BlazingGold macrumors member

Beta 3 definitely was smoother and faster than 4. Damn

2. 0014 macrumors 6502a

The last 36hrs with this beta seem to have been fine for me on my XSM.

3. ManuCH macrumors 6502a

Same for me (as you know from the eSIM thread). By the way, I noticed these issues started with iOS 12.1.2. The betas of 12.1.3 made it progressively worse (from experiencing the issue every other day, it started happening every 2 hours in Beta 3).

Now I downgraded to 12.1.2 again. But what fixed it for me (even if it's just a workaround) was to disable 4G entirely for my secondary (physical) SIM, so it connects via 3G (which is irrelevant as I mostly don't use it).

My theory is that the latest modem firmwares have a flaw in the logic used to select the 4G band to connect to the network. The issue is especially prominent in areas where one of the operators you use has one weak LTE band and one strong band, and the other operator has the exact opposite (happens a lot where I live). The modem gets "stuck" on the band where the secondary operator is strong, then your primary 4G signal will be extremely weak and no data will flow.

I have found other people in the same country having the exact same issue.

I have reported it to Apple but they're ignoring me so far.

4. jettie1767 macrumors 6502

For me as well. Not isolated to the beta.

5. George Knighton macrumors 65816

George Knighton

In that case, I cannot help wondering whether increasing the polling rate would help with the streaming media issue that some of us are having (eSIM = main data, physical SIM = secondary).

If the physical SIM and eSIM can somehow be excluded from being inadvertently on the same band at the same time, that would probably eliminate the problem without having to shut off the secondary cellular plan.

I believe that iOS is always going to try to give the physical SIM priority of notice, even if you have set your eSIM to have "primary" data assignment.

Is this something that seems obviously logical, or by some chance were you able to verify the active bands with an Android device or other device you use to determine what signals are being used?

6. ram130 macrumors regular

ram130

They have a system in the subway stations called transit wireless. All carriers are on that system. So all experience same or similar service while on the platform. Full bars, great speeds. There’s just no service between stations.

I’ve carried a back up Android device with me, usually on Sprint or ATT and it would always regain signal at every stop. I also had a iPhone 7 Plus and 8 Plus which had similar experiences but they also took a few seconds longer as sometimes took up to 2mins. Since the XS, it’s a gamble, and takes up to 5 minutes randomly. Which is way longer. Each update I have been seeing it vary slightly but not much.

Also internet tends to drop out randomly even on WiFi during the day and I’ve noticed the cell radio keeps randomly crashing every other day. I did a reset two weeks back and it still happens.

7. calibru_2good_4u macrumors regular

It is Smooth ? Or...?

8. redpandadev macrumors regular

Curious what device. I do not do this often as I do not live or work in the city, but I recently was on the 1 train from Times Square station down to South Ferry and back again. I had service nearly the entire trip (even in the tunnel, not at a station). The times I did lose it, I regained within seconds of stopping at a station (didn't need to go to the street). Also on T-Mobile, iPhone XS. I was on 12.1.3 beta 2 at the time.

9. 0014 macrumors 6502a

Notifications on the lock screen are screwed up for me. Only the first couple seem to be affected. Restart etc doesn’t help. Was fine on B3

[​IMG]

10. roncron macrumors 6502

roncron

All well here in the first two days with 12.1.3 b4: phone and all apps are running smoothly with no unexpected behavior or problems, animations are fluid, battery life is good, wifi and LTE connectivity good. XS Max, Verizon.

11. sorgo macrumors regular

sorgo

Same here on both a Verizon iPhone 8 Plus and wifi-only iPad Mini 4.

12. Freakonomics101 macrumors 68000

Freakonomics101

Beta 4... No SIM. Cannot fix... have tried several troubleshooting steps. Faaaantastic. Lol.

13. StumpyBloke macrumors 6502a

StumpyBloke

Faulty/damaged sim? Tried in another phone?

14. Enjoylife1788 macrumors 6502a

I felt the same thing.

15. HackDaBox macrumors regular

HackDaBox

Battery life is great. Not using low power mode everyday right from 100% charge like I was on beta 3

16. ManuCH macrumors 6502a

I have opened the field test menu (*3001#12345#*) when the problem was happening, and I noticed that the iPhone was on a different LTE band as opposed to when it was working.

When not in Dual SIM mode, the iPhone would never switch to that problematic band. So I assume it is being "pulled" there by the other SIM.

17. ram130 macrumors regular

ram130

XS Max. Try the B, C train Frm Harlem to 42. It just takes long to regain signal between stations. It’s not all the time. Say the first two stops it regains fast then the next few it takes long enough that the train already got to the next two stops...

18. George Knighton macrumors 65816

George Knighton

I would never have thought that.

You’re sure that you never switch to that band when one SIM is turned off?

I cannot think of how the SIM would *force* the eSIM into the same band, but I suppose nothing is beyond conjecture at this point.

My eSIM constantly moves between Bands 2,4,12 most of the time, even when I am not moving.

The data stream never falters when the physical SIM is off.

19. Nikhil72 macrumors 65816

My issue was the 2/3 train transferring to the R/W where the same issue happened on verizon, but the last two betas it’s been 100% effective of a fix for restoring service upon station arrival.

20. ManuCH macrumors 6502a

Well, I sporadically check the iPhone when one SIM is turned off, and it's always on band 20. If I add a second SIM, it sometimes switches to band 3 (I assume my second provider is stronger on that band where I'm located), and when that happens, the first provider stops working.

21. BlazingGold macrumors member

WiFi. Connection has been slow and sporadic at home and work. Just not as smooth overall as beta 3

22. Packer2058 macrumors member

Packer2058

Yea I noticed the same thing on my XS Max. The messaging lag was back and the GPS could not hold a signal. Beta 3 was great!

23. ram130 macrumors regular

ram130

I don’t know what changed. But I’m taking the same trip from Harlem to 59st, and already half through I’ve had signal come back instantly at each station. What the hell kinda of voodoo is this. Lmao.

It’s got a few inconsistencies here and there though. Like signal will come back as one bar and then go to no service. And remains a that way for 3 mins. But I’m happier now.

24. christian.terra macrumors regular

I'm sure you've probably already done so, but have you hard reset? what you experience happens to me on verizon once every couple days and it'll fix it. when I experience the issue, if i don't hard reset, i go without service for more than 10 minutes because the phone won't auto connect at all, and if/when it does, no LTE only 3G.

25. maxchile macrumors member

maxchile

Hi Ram, you still have the issues with the AW? thanks!

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.