Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

decypher44

macrumors 68000
Feb 24, 2007
Orange County, CA
What build do you on your phone? ( settings, general, about)

Should be 16D40. If it isn’t you need to delete the beta profile reboot phone and do an update manually.

Are you sure about that? I’ve left my beta profile on for the last update without getting the final version.

I have same version as DimaVR (last beta)

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
if I keep my beta 12 profile, and not upgrade to final version, I should keep getting the beta that are coming out for IOS 12 correct? I got 12.1.3 16d5039a is that the latest beta 4? or Beta 3? im confused? my Mac os Upgraded to BEta 4 yesterday? but my XS mAx did not upgrade

On macOS, you can update to the RC build from beta. On iOS, it won’t let you. You’ll need to remove beta profile and update OTA. Or update using iTunes in recovery mode or using IPSW while retaining the beta profile. The beta should pick up soon so you could just stay on it.

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
if I keep my beta 12 profile, and not upgrade to final version, I should keep getting the beta that are coming out for IOS 12 correct? I got 12.1.3 16d5039a is that the latest beta 4? or Beta 3? im confused? my Mac os Upgraded to BEta 4 yesterday? but my XS mAx did not upgrade
No one has totally answered you. Yes 16D5039a is the last beta(4). The release version for all devices OTHER than the 2018 phones is basically the same build, 16D39. The XS, XSM, and XR all got 16D40 (one rev up from the beta) as the released version. If you keep the profile installed you will keep getting betas, if there are any, for iOS 12 but will not get the release versions.

BTW this is the wrong thread for this discussion :)

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
What I mean if you look at iOS 9.2 beta 1, it was released while 9.2.1 was still being beta tested. Same with 8.2 and 8.1.3.

So my point is before 2017, they were already testing multiple betas at once. Now they’re doing one at a time.
Prior to iOS 9 there was no beta profile that you downloaded and installed to get OTA beta updates. They were all .ipsw. So times have changed in how people get their betas, thus now they only can seed one at at time.

Also, if you look at those two examples you happened to pick out, those are two of out 3 exceptions of 2 versions of iOS being in testing at the same time. 3 times out of dozens and dozens and dozens of builds in 11 years. You made a very bold claim of something always happen, when in reality the opposite is quite true.

Last edited:

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Two Years ago today iOS 10.3 beta 1 was seeded. So who knows.

Ah, the infamous “theater mode” beta, which was supposed to bring some wonderful new feature to the phone, but instead brought the needed but no big deal theater mode to the Watch. It was supposed to have been released in early January according to the allegedly knowledgeable Sonny Dickson

https://twitter.com/SonnyDickson/status/814931454828412929?s=20

The eager anticipation for this beta is what gave birth to these speculation threads.

Dougteeshot

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2017
I’m optimistic for a beta today. We’ve seen betas on Thursday’s before. 12.2 dev beta today, public beta tomorrow. If no dev beta today, Monday or Tuesday for sure. They haven’t missed shipping a x.x update from January to March since iOS 4. 4.3 in March, 5.1 in March, 6.1 in January, 7.1 in March, 8.3/9.3/10.3/11.3 in March. Pretty safe bet we will see 12.2 next.

mattburley7

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2011
just a thought but maybe we will get iOS 12.2 next which will be required for the spring ipads and possible airpods?! iOS 12.2 release in march along side those new hardware.

poool88

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2014
Italy
just a thought but maybe we will get iOS 12.2 next which will be required for the spring ipads and possible airpods?! iOS 12.2 release in march along side those new hardware.
we will get a 12.x update if apple has planned an api-level change in the iOS sdk before iOS 13

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010
Are you sure about that? I’ve left my beta profile on for the last update without getting the final version.

With D40, I have noticed some of the bugs that I was still reporting with beta 4 have been fixed.

If I were you, I'd delete the beta profile and update.

Just get the beta profile again when the next beta comes out. :)

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
I’m optimistic for a beta today. We’ve seen betas on Thursday’s before. 12.2 dev beta today, public beta tomorrow. If no dev beta today, Monday or Tuesday for sure. They haven’t missed shipping a x.x update from January to March since iOS 4. 4.3 in March, 5.1 in March, 6.1 in January, 7.1 in March, 8.3/9.3/10.3/11.3 in March. Pretty safe bet we will see 12.2 next.
Off topic but WHY does iOS insist on putting the apostrophe in when you type the plural version of a day of the week? This has always irritated me and I actually entered seven different text replacement entries at one point but they seem to have been lost.

Reactions: decypher44

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Off topic but WHY does iOS insist on putting the apostrophe in when you type the plural version of a day of the week? This has always irritated me and I actually entered seven different text replacement entries at one point but they seem to have been lost.
My suspicion is that the use of the possessive "Thursday's" (as in "Thursday's meeting", etc....) is dramatically higher than appending an "s" to Thursday to denote multiple instances of that day of the week.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
We all here are just speculating, yes because it is a speculation thread.
Reason for @gwhizkids is that he has not seen any 9to5mac post or tweet from some developer until 11AM and he thinks it is not happening.
I am well aware of the fact that this is a speculation thread. Your reasoning makes sense. Posting "today" or "tomorrow" without more doesn't even rise to the level of speculation and is really not helpful.

brar.arsh

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2016
I am well aware of the fact that this is a speculation thread. Your reasoning makes sense. Posting "today" or "tomorrow" without more doesn't even rise to the level of speculation and is really not helpful.
Yes I agree, thats what I want to say, no one here knows anything, we all just rely on some lead and it may be from some other blog or twitter.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Yes I agree, thats what I want to say, no one here knows anything, we all just rely on some lead and it may be from some other blog or twitter.
We may not "know" anything, but there are some posts that are more useful to readers than others. The original "Netflix app update" theory is a case in point: although it appears to now be debunked, at the time, it did appear to be some indicia of an upcoming release (and maybe it was a harbinger, but Apple nixed it going foward; who knows?). Also (and not in any way patting myself on the back for this), my post noting the large number of apps being updated on Monday this week was at least something for readers to chew on. The apps being updated may have been an indicator of the impending release or it may have been purely a coincidence and appropos of nothing. But at least the information was something! I know we come here, in part to vent and in part in the hopes of getting some meaningful info. But I'm pretty sure no one comes here in the hopes of seeing "Today!" or "Not today" or "Tomorrow" or "Maybe today or maybe some other day" and the like.

mattburley7

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2011
wonder what they will be adding. all the exciting changes are probably not till iOS 13.

so we should expect iOS 12.2 public release sometime in march?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.