Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacUse-R

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 24, 2017
So i´m on iOS 13.3 on my Iphone Xs and have iTunes 12.6.5.3 on a MBP with High Sierra. I want to keep this version of itunes because of the App store.
Since i updated to iOS 13 i get a message every time i open iTunes which says "A software update is required to connect to iPhone"
But as far as i can tell everything seems to work normally anyway, despite that message saying otherwise?
I guess if i hit "install" it will update my iTunes to a newer version?

So is there a way to get rid of this message without choosing the "install" alternative?

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I have High Sierra with the latest version of iTunes and the App store hasn't changed at all... My iPad is on iPad OS 13.3. If you want the message to stop showing you might be able to do something using a DNS blacklist through a VPN but not sure how the complete process works

hideous cheese

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2012
It is, I think, a library file of sorts that downloads to iTunes related to the phone.

i had similar messages for my iPad Pro. I let it download and no message since (still on HS with 12.6.5)

iTunes only updates through the App Store, not in programme.

MacUse-R

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 24, 2017
I hit install and it downloaded something for a good 2 minutes, and then it said that i must close iTunes before the software can be installed.
That felt like an update to itunes itself?

I chose not to proceed with the installation, after it had downloaded the software/file.

So i think that what it will do is in fact an update to iTunes?

BugeyeSTI: Yes there is a difference between iTunes 12.6.5.3 and the later versions of itunes, namely that the Appstore is no longer in iTunes. Are you sure that you have the latest version of iTunes?

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I hit install and it downloaded something for a good 2 minutes, and then it said that i must close iTunes before the software can be installed.
That felt like an update to itunes itself?

I chose not to proceed with the installation, after it had downloaded the software/file.

So i think that what it will do is in fact an update to iTunes?

BugeyeSTI: Yes there is a difference between iTunes 12.6.5.3 and the later versions of itunes, namely that the Appstore is no longer in iTunes. Are you sure that you have the latest version of iTunes?
If you mean the ability to deal with the apps directly on your phone through iTunes then yes you're correct that has been eliminated on the newer versions of iTunes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.