iPhone iOS 13.4 Wifi Calling bug

pearshaped

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2020
After upgrading from iOS 13.3.1 to 13.4 on my iPhone, I noticed a bug in Wifi Calling which I might consider slightly disturbing on the security front.

In my testing, I disabled cellular (turned on airplane mode) and just have Wifi turned on, my carrier is T-mobile (US).

So, when I enabled Wifi Calling (in Settings > Cellular / Wi-Fi Calling **), I see the status in the upper left go from the plain Wifi symbol to "T-mobile Wi-Fi".
When I disable Wifi Calling, the status DOES NOT CHANGE and sticks with "T-mobile Wi-Fi".

This was not the case under prior versions of iOS.

Is this a display status problem?
Am I still connected to T-mobile?

I tested some incoming text messages (text, not iMessage) via my bank's 2FA while wifi calling is disabled -- it seems to work as expected, no incoming messages when disabled. Now when I enable, the prior messages come thru -- is that normal? Can't say for sure, prior experience indicates that I would not have gotten any of those messages (that is, I don't believe they're queued up when not connected to my carrier).

**Noticed that the enablement message has been updated to:
"Enable Wi-Fi Calling? When you join a network, information about the country where the network connection is made may be sent to your carrier. For short code calls, the city may be sent for call routing purposes. You can change this in Settings."

Thanks!

pearshaped

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2020
Following up - it looks like when I enable cellular, the carrier name "T-Mobile" shows in the upper corner, and when I disable cellular, the "T-Mobile" still stays in the upper corner, thought cell-signal indicator goes away.

I'm guessing this carrier name stickiness is a "feature" now, whereas previously the carrier name would disappear when disabling cellular and wifi calling.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.