Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Guys, I read somewhere that the Reminders app on iOS 13 will not sync reminders to El Capitan, is this correct?

I'm using an iCloud / .mac account and an iPhone 7 and iPad and use a 2009 Mac Pro running El Capitan. Reminders are a must for me, so I'd be gutted to lose the sync aspect of them.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Guys, I read somewhere that the Reminders app on iOS 13 will not sync reminders to El Capitan, is this correct?

I'm using an iCloud / .mac account and an iPhone 7 and iPad and use a 2009 Mac Pro running El Capitan. Reminders are a must for me, so I'd be gutted to lose the sync aspect of them.

Yes, you're correct, and when you open Reminders on an iOS 13 or Catalina device for the first time, it warns you of this before it allows you to upgrade the Reminders functionality, so you must have opted into this. This may just be a beta restriction and perhaps Apple will release an update to older versions of Mac OS or allow for backwards compatibility on iOS 13 devices, but for now you will need to wait for official release.

With all due respect, your computer is 10 years old so you could wait to see how Apple handles with with an official software release this fall, or consider upgrading your hardware.

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Thanks mate. I haven't yet installed the iOS 13 beta on my iPhone, so if I were to install and and when it asks me if I want to 'upgrade reminders', if I select NO would I then be OK and all reminder would sync as normal?

Haha! 10 years old. WOW! But I love it :D I'd love to upgrade the Mac, but right now I just can't justify it as it get such little use since I stopped film editing. I do though want to get back in to it, so hmmmmmmmmm ;)

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Thanks mate. I haven't yet installed the iOS 13 beta on my iPhone, so if I were to install and and when it asks me if I want to 'upgrade reminders', if I select NO would I then be OK and all reminder would sync as normal?

Haha! 10 years old. WOW! But I love it :D I'd love to upgrade the Mac, but right now I just can't justify it as it get such little use since I stopped film editing. I do though want to get back in to it, so hmmmmmmmmm ;)

If you decline the reminders “upgrade”, I’m not sure what will happen. I think you just won’t be able to access the app at all, but perhaps someone else can comment.

Reactions: scouser75

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
If you decline the reminders “upgrade”, I’m not sure what will happen. I think you just won’t be able to access the app at all, but perhaps someone else can comment.
Guys im getting itchy feet! Does anyone know what would happen if I declined the request to upgrade reminders on 13?

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
I declined the upgrade on my ipp and it doesn’t sync changes well with my mojave or ios 12.4 device.

Phogro

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2015
Boston, MA

Declining the upgrade allows you to sync with 12.4 devices, but you don't get all of the new features of the new reminders app. It's basically the same reminders functionality as it is currently with the new layout (at least as far as I can tell).

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Declining the upgrade allows you to sync with 12.4 devices, but you don't get all of the new features of the new reminders app. It's basically the same reminders functionality as it is currently with the new layout (at least as far as I can tell).

Thanks phogro. So does this sync issue ONLY apply to ios 13 to ios 12 devices? Or does it also apply to ios 13 to El Capitan and other older Mac OS's?

I've got ios 13 on my ipad air but it never asked me to update reminders, which is strange. Maybe I'll try adding a reminder on it and check if it syncs to my iPhone 12.4 and el Capitan reminders apps.

onepoint

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
USA
If you decline the upgrade Reminders will work as it has, on all devices. I did so with iPhone X and iPad Mini 5 on Public Beta, with a MacBook Air mid-2011.

Functionality is “limited” to what’s currently available with 12.4 and current/older versions of Mac OS.

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
If you decline the upgrade Reminders will work as it has, on all devices. I did so with iPhone X and iPad Mini 5 on Public Beta, with a MacBook Air mid-2011.

Functionality is “limited” to what’s currently available with 12.4 and current/older versions of Mac OS.

Right guys, I've been doing a bit of testing and here are the results.

Right now my Reminders screen looks like the screen below. The List blacked out is my .mac / iCloud list. I haven't yet Upgraded My Lists, so does that mean that the app I see below is the old Reminders app? What would happen if i DID Upgrade My Lists? Is this the thing that will prevent reminders syncing across to older iOS and El Capitan?

The tests I done were:

* I added a reminder on iOS 13 (iPad). This reminder synced across to my iPhone running iOS 12 and Mac OS El Capitan.

* Added a reminder on MacOS El Capitan. This synced again to both iOS 12 & 13.

* Added a reminder on iOS 12 & 13 .mac List. These synced to all devices.

So, so far all is working as normal. Therefore, I'm very tempted to upgrade my daily iPhone to iOS 13.

But the BIG question is, what would happen if I were to hit the Blue 'Upgrade' button next to lists?

PS How frustrating is it that there is not + button at the top of the screen to add new reminders! You have to scroll down to the bottom of 'Today' to see the + option.

Reminders.jpg

Jada34

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2017
I just updated to PB beta 7 last night and still don't have the option to upgrade my reminders. I'm so sad... hopefully when the final version comes out, that prompt will come back. I think I only saw it when I first jumped on the beta (PB 3 I believe) and dismissed it quickly without really paying attention and I never saw it again. :(

Phogro

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2015
Boston, MA
But the BIG question is, what would happen if I were to hit the Blue 'Upgrade' button next to lists?

If you upgrade your Reminders you will no longer sync reminders with anything pre 2019 software. That means any reminders app on versions before Catalina and iOS13 will not sync with the upgraded reminders.

The upgrade will add some of the new features that the Reminders app has available to it in iOS13.... things like groups, subtasks and attachments are upgraded Reminders exclusives. I haven't played around with it all that much though so if someone has more experience feel free to elaborate or correct me.

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
If you upgrade your Reminders you will no longer sync reminders with anything pre 2019 software. That means any reminders app on versions before Catalina and iOS13 will not sync with the upgraded reminders.

The upgrade will add some of the new features that the Reminders app has available to it in iOS13.... things like groups, subtasks and attachments are upgraded Reminders exclusives. I haven't played around with it all that much though so if someone has more experience feel free to elaborate or correct me.
Thanks mate. In that case, I'll just upgrade to iOS13 on my iPhone and keep the Reminders app as the old version. It doesn't seem very likely Apple will be too concerned about older users anymore.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Thanks mate. In that case, I'll just upgrade to iOS13 on my iPhone and keep the Reminders app as the old version. It doesn't seem very likely Apple will be too concerned about older users anymore.

As an FYI, I don't recall being able to open/use Reminders on iOS 13 until I upgraded it. While upgrading is up to the user, I'm pretty sure the upgrade was mandatory in order to use Reminders on iOS 13. Can't re-confirm since I'm already on iOS 13 and past that screen, but you may want to confirm for yourself before moving to iOS 13.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
As an FYI, I don't recall being able to open/use Reminders on iOS 13 until I upgraded it. While upgrading is up to the user, I'm pretty sure the upgrade was mandatory in order to use Reminders on iOS 13. Can't re-confirm since I'm already on iOS 13 and past that screen, but you may want to confirm for yourself before moving to iOS 13.
I didn't upgrade at first when installed iOS 13. It more or less functioned like the iOS 12 Reminders app did (some cosmetic changes to the app, but the base functionality remained the same). Once I upgraded I was able to use the natural language features, the more advanced scheduling features and the remind when messaging feature (that one's a head scratcher, tbh). If I used a Mac as my daily desktop computing device and was not on Catalina, I would not have upgraded. But since I do not use a Mac daily, I decided to go for it.

onepoint

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
USA
As long as you use any pre-iOS 13/Catalina devices, that’s the way to go (and also what I’m currently doing). Just don’t give in to the temptation to push that blue button :cool:

T-Will

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2008
I assume "Upgraded" iOS 13 Reminders are not compatible with a Reminder list that is shared with a family member using iOS 12, correct? But if I don't upgrade iOS 13 Reminders, the shared lists should sync correctly to family members?

Reactions: onepoint

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Thanks guys. I might have some free time next week, so will take the leap and go 13. Hope it doesn't prove to be unlucky!!! (or should I just wait 1 more month for the official release, by when hopefully Apple will have found a fix for the reminders app!!!)

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
I assume "Upgraded" iOS 13 Reminders are not compatible with a Reminder list that is shared with a family member using iOS 12, correct? But if I don't upgrade iOS 13 Reminders, the shared lists should sync correctly to family members?
That is correct. Another consideration for people on the fence.

PastaPrimav

Suspended
Nov 6, 2017

They barely sync on Mojave or Catalina.

An-apple-a-day

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2010
Up until a couple of weeks ago, if I clicked "Complete" on a reminder notification on my Mac (Mojave 10.14.6) the currently displayed notification on iOS (12.4.1) would automagically disappear. Also vice versa. But now it no longer behaves that way and the Reminders app badges often show different numbers across my devices. Lame.

A few years back, if I read a Mail.app mail on my mac, it would show right away as having been read on iOS. And vice versa. Nice, logical, and predictable -- and convenient, too. But a couple of years ago that behavior stopped, presumably due to Apple's attempts at preserving battery life on the mobile devices. Now, only if I read the mail on the iOS Mail app does the "read" status sync almost immediately to the Mac (but not the other way around).

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Up until a couple of weeks ago, if I clicked "Complete" on a reminder notification on my Mac (Mojave 10.14.6) the currently displayed notification on iOS (12.4.1) would automagically disappear. Also vice versa. But now it no longer behaves that way and the Reminders app badges often show different numbers across my devices. Lame.

A few years back, if I read a Mail.app mail on my mac, it would show right away as having been read on iOS. And vice versa. Nice, logical, and predictable -- and convenient, too. But a couple of years ago that behavior stopped, presumably due to Apple's attempts at preserving battery life on the mobile devices. Now, only if I read the mail on the iOS Mail app does the "read" status sync almost immediately to the Mac (but not the other way around).

Just to double check, have a look at how many Reminders lists you have. If you have more than one, you may have open reminders on there which are throwing your red badges out.

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Guys, I need your advice again please in case I c0ck up my reminders - I've just bought an iPhone 11 and have set-up as new. When I open the reminders app it tells me about all the new stuff on reminders. Now, before I press continue, SHOULD I press continue as I don't want to use the NEW reminders app, only the old one as I am running El Capitan on my Mac.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Guys, I need your advice again please in case I c0ck up my reminders - I've just bought an iPhone 11 and have set-up as new. When I open the reminders app it tells me about all the new stuff on reminders. Now, before I press continue, SHOULD I press continue as I don't want to use the NEW reminders app, only the old one as I am running El Capitan on my Mac.

You can give it a try (and not hit continue). However, as this is a new install, rather than an upgrade, I’m not sure it will work. I’m guessing “yes”, as others are in your position with older devices, but not 100% certain.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.